Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do i order a 2024?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At some unknown point Tesla will switch production to 24. How has that worked in the past? Let's say in December they are producing 24's but I order a car that matches an in-transit 2023 that the original customer canceled, would they have the right to give me the 2023? How do I assure I get a 2024? And when do they usually switch production to the next model year?

Mostly thinking about resale value but also sometimes they include small changes that aren't disclosed for months. My existing lease isn't up till January so I have plenty of time.

The year is attached to the VIN. Doesn't matter if the customer cancels.

Usually around October is when they start trickling them out. By November most all cars available will be 2024s.

I expect there to be very good incentives in late October when Q3 ends but there's still a chance you'll get a 2023. Begin thinking to yourself how big an incentive would have to be for you to pull the trigger. Good luck!

Reactions: zoomer0056 and Omer
Tesla does not do traditional model years like you’re used to with other automakers.

They continuously integrate updated part designs and features as they are available—they do not wait until a model year. Some new feature might come randomly just whenever they happened to get it in production. This means no matter when you buy, you get the latest design available at the time. (When you think about it this makes a lot of sense. Why push out cars with known inferior parts until the “new model year”?)

Moreover, the model year is the year it was manufactured. They don‘t start pushing out 2024s sometime in 2023 like other OEMS.

Moreover, the model year is the year it was manufactured. They don‘t start pushing out 2024s sometime in 2023 like other OEMS.
This hasn’t been true for at least 5 years. Tesla has reliably started cranking out the next model year VINs in October or November.

Mostly because of people like OP that still seem to think it has some super crazy resale value bonus.

I mean it objectively does. You can just check ayction prices, retail sales data, and trade-in quotes
You're not wrong, but Todd Burch is also correct that there are no feature "packages" that are aligned with MY production. They roll out features as they are able to integrate them into the production line. It's honestly part of what I hate about Tesla - no matter when you order, you feel this sense of anxiety about when you're going to get your car. It's this trade off between "I'd like to have it sooner than later" and "hopefully I get the new headlights/MCU/bumper camera/interior trim/brakes/etc when mine is produced"