Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do Model 3 reservations effect dealerships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's one of the best things about buying a Tesla, you're buying directly from Tesla at a Tesla store or on the Tesla website, without the dealership "experience".
THIS is what makes Tesla so different, at least in the buying experience. No need to shop, haggle, deal with salesmen and walk out of the dealership feeling like you've been ripped off.
I bought 2 new cars in 2016. The Lexus took me 4 1/2 hours of haggling,paperwork , frustration,anger and realizing loyalty is a one way street. (This was reinforced BIG time) I could go on for many paragraphs on that experience.:mad:

Tesla: Ordered online exactly what I want and had fun and excitement doing it.
To the OP: Tesla will change the way you look at cars and car buying

Reactions: shrspeedblade
THIS is what makes Tesla so different, at least in the buying experience. No need to shop, haggle, deal with salesmen and walk out of the dealership feeling like you've been ripped off.
I bought 2 new cars in 2016. The Lexus took me 4 1/2 hours of haggling,paperwork , frustration,anger and realizing loyalty is a one way street. (This was reinforced BIG time) I could go on for many paragraphs on that experience.:mad:

Tesla: Ordered online exactly what I want and had fun and excitement doing it.
To the OP: Tesla will change the way you look at cars and car buying

Yes, buying a car should be FUN! It's unfortunate that under the current model it is frquently anything but that.

I'll try to add a little color to this based on the Model X rollout. There were thousands of reservation holders waiting in line for the car to be released. Their spot in line allowed them entry, in batches, to the online configuration site where that could actually order the car. Some people ordered immediately while others chose to wait. So for the first few weeks or months all cars produced were custom ordered and went straight to the customer. Quite a number of people complained on this forum about not being able to see and test drive the car before placing an order. Tesla heard their pleas and prioritized delivery of some inventory examples to galleries. I distinctly remember that when those cars started showing up, only reservation holders could book a Model X test drive because they were in such high demand. As the months rolled on, more cars became available and of course today anyone can go to a store and test drive one. If you like it you can buy it.

I believe Elon made a statement about learning from that experience and that Model 3 examples would be made available to all the stores early in the rollout. This would alleviate concerns by a lot of people regarding buying a car they had never driven. But I would not expect those inventory cars to be available for sale until the reservation backlog has been cleared.

The real answer is that nobody outside of Tesla knows the details of the rollout. All we can do is speculate based on history and statement that they have made. What they have publicly stated is that Tesla and SpaceX employees will get the first cars, followed by current Tesla owners going from west to east, followed by non-Tesla owners. So expect that it will be quite a long while before you can walk in and buy one off the lot.

Model 3 Reservations FAQ

2.5 years ago I ordered a Jeep Wrangler and waited 6 weeks for it to be built. It was BY FAR the best buying experience of my life and as long as I don't NEED a car immediately I will only do this going forward. Now that might limit me to buying Teslas and Jeeps but I can live with that.

I think Wranglers are a little different than most other cars that the die-hard community of "fans" provide such great information in regards to pricing that many dealers don't mess around and give you "X" off of the invoice price. Unfortunately I totaled my Jeep last year but ended up selling a bunch of my aftermarket stuff to a guy who flew up to DC from FL once his Jeep was built because the deal was so good.

I've only ever bought 3 cars new. All were from dealerships. And I have always had to wait for my car despite test driving something similar on the day of order. I personally don't subscribe to the manufacturer-direct-is-always-better position, but when it comes to cars specifically I have yet to enjoy added value from the dealer relationship so I'm looking forward to buying my next car this way.

There is a big opportunity for the motor industry to make dealerships relevant. Lobbying for legislation against the alternative is not the way.

Reactions: CCWgr