Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do send and address to car nav?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen grabs from Google Maps on an iPhone.
  1. Search for your destination but do NOT get directions
  2. Once found, at the bottom, on the same row as Directions (you have to scroll across) is a Share button
  3. The second row is apps to share with; look for Tesla
  4. You should get a confirmation that it was sent
04024589-C18A-4EDD-8CFC-805FC872FFCE.jpeg

A358FF96-9CED-4D3B-847F-A5F527E8FF1B.jpeg

2EEB3077-F022-4D05-9EA2-C3311EABA995.jpeg

Yes, you can do this but it takes one extra step. My current phone in a Google Pixel 3. In google maps on your desktop select send to your phone. Share to the phone that has the Tesla app installed. On Android, you will immediately get a notification at the top of the screen (Apple, I am not sure.). Select the notification which will launch google maps with the location you specified on your desktop. In the google maps app select share and then select Tesla. Bingo, the address is sent to your car.

Another nice feature is put in the correct address in the location field for your calendar appointments. When you get in the car it automatically starts the nav to that address without you needing to do anything! And for ones in the future, you can open the calendar in the car and tap on the address to route to that address manually.

Reactions: ra88it
There are also other (Old school) ways of transferring an address to your Tesla that preceded the sharing feature.
Like entering addresses in calendar events on your phone.
I also used to use calendar events to send a URL to my Tesla by entering it into the event description. (I assume it still works)

Make sure you click Share and Tesla before clicking Directions. Once you click Directions it is trying to send a route which does not work. Somebody helped me with the same problem last year.

so the problem is Tesla takes just some "perfect" forms of address but not sharing gps coordinates or anything from any app (probably due to different languages) ... definitely a bug

so the problem is Tesla takes just some "perfect" forms of address but not sharing gps coordinates or anything from any app (probably due to different languages) ... definitely a bug

Not really, the car is pretty good at parsing out a destination address .. but when you share directions you are sending a ROUTE, not an ADDRESS .. the car isnt designed for that any more than you can send it a photo of a house and expect it to drive there.

It seems like it would be relatively trivial (and table stakes) for Tesla to add some basic road maps locally that could be accessed. You'd lose the ability to have satellite view, but at least you wouldn't be completely lost. Doesn't every other OEM pretty much have this?

It seems like it would be relatively trivial (and table stakes) for Tesla to add some basic road maps locally that could be accessed. You'd lose the ability to have satellite view, but at least you wouldn't be completely lost. Doesn't every other OEM pretty much have this?

Most cars I've been in with nav use local maps stored in the car ONLY, which are updated (usually via some flash card or DVD) periodically (once a year). The car makers like this cause they (and the map makers) get lots of $$$ off these updates (my Infiniti used to charge $200+ for an update).

no, I have to copy an exact address and share via another app, then it works ... gps never works = definitely a bug of Tesla

Well, all I ever do is grab anything that looks like an address (even a snippet from an email) and send it to the car and it picks up that destination with no trouble. I dont know what you mean by "share from another app" .. what app are using in the first place? And what do you mean by "gps never works" ? GPS is a satellite technology. Are you trying to paste GPS co-ordinates to the car???

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
Well, all I ever do is grab anything that looks like an address (even a snippet from an email) and send it to the car and it picks up that destination with no trouble. I dont know what you mean by "share from another app" .. what app are using in the first place? And what do you mean by "gps never works" ? GPS is a satellite technology. Are you trying to paste GPS co-ordinates to the car???
simply share directly to Tesla from google maps or any other maps NEVER works (czech language, cannot change to english language in google maps, maybe I should try restarting my phone after language change), not even GPS coordinates - I have to share some form of address via clipboard 3rd party app, then it works

but GPS coordinates Tesla definitely SHOULD support