Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do we navigate to multiple stops?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My workaround for Tesla's lousy navigation system is to put my itinerary into Google Calendar which the Tesla app syncs to the car. In addition to lacking multiple waypoints Tesla also lacks route options. Tesla's nav system is deeply biased towards highways which are the least interesting way to travel. Google maps allows you to select Avoid Highways and it gives you a choice of three routes which allows you to pick the most appealing, I really miss that in the Tesla. The way I force the Tesla nav system to take the route that I want is to add a waypoint to Google Calendar that can only be reached on my desired road. I also use A Better Route Planner when charting the route because Tesla's lack of understanding of even the simple things like a roundtrip means that it can't determine when and where you should charge. I add the Supercharger stops on my Google Calendar as well.

@bjrosen good idea thanks. Did my first road trip in the Tesla. I have abrp but switching back and forth from phone and Tesla navigation is silly and cumbersome. next time I'll plan on computer, copy and paste to Google calendar and add notes about time of charging etc.
Set up Android auto in car but can't open abrp without paying for it... (I'm cheap)

Has anyone gotten this update yet? Does it add anything more than multiple waypoints? Another huge deficiency of Tesla's navigation is the lack of options. Google Maps on Android Auto allows you to select Avoid Highways and it also presents you with three routes not one, each shown with the time delta. That allows you pick the most appealing route.

No, Tesla engineers are not THAT smart.
They haven't been able to figure out how to support multi-destination routing for 10+ years. Nor has Elon been willing to integrate the best market solutions that are already available (Google, Garmin, etc).

I rely on GoogleMaps for multi-point routing, and traffic optimization. Supposedly, Tesla uses Google maps and traffic, before imposing its own rout planning and biases. In heavy traffic, I find that native GoogleMaps does a better job of re-routing around congested areas.

For highway driving, I run Waze, to get alerts on mobile tax collection locations.

HTH,
a
Waze does a much better job in congestion, we took three different routes at Myrtle Beach peak season, you could see traffic speeds on each route, and Waze would always factor in traffic jams and route around them.

2021.44.25 has been updated to allow reordering the waypoints:

Edit-Waypoints.jpeg

Tesla 2021.44.25 Holiday Software Update Release Notes Leak Early