Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you add new Apps to car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An App Store icon was shown on the early Model S displays prior to production, and removed in the first production cars.

Musk later promised to release a 3rd party programming interface and add the app store.

A few years later, Musk shifted to promising to deliver screen mirroring - either a Tesla implementation or 3rd party - but probably not Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

And even though the Bolt has both Apple and Android, we still don't have screen mirroring, or even very capable smartphone integration (like text-to-voice and voice-to-text for text messages & emails).

However...

Since we received our first Model S 5 years ago, the software has gone through considerable changes.

We've seen several improvements of the user interface. The calendar app was added. The navigation app was upgraded to include the trip planner with automatic routing through superchargers - and we've seen the addition of superchargers/destination chargers with the console maps. We've also received a number of other updates - which were added through OTA software updates.

And, it's very likely the next major software release (9.0?) will have a number of new features - such as increased commonality with the Model 3 software, new navigation app, additional improvements to the media player (beyond what was done in 8.0), and the long promised browser upgrade.

So while we don't have a clear roadmap of what Tesla is planning to add in new software releases, they have been pretty consistent in providing new functionality in the existing cars, when the hardware supports it. It's possible we'll see more apps added in the future, especially once Model 3 gets into full production, and the number of Tesla cars on the road expands enough to justify more software development.

With other manufacturers - the likely path to get more apps added would be to buy a new car...
So your answer to this thread's question of "Wow to add new apps to your car" is "hope and pray Tesla will add the app you want in an OTA"?

Last edited:
You can’t add native apps to your Tesla, but there are web apps that have been written that try to offer some of the functionality that you were asking for.

I’ve never tried it, but one I’ve read a bit about is EVE Dashboard.

EVE For Tesla | Premier Dashboard Experience For Your Tesla Model S, Tesla Model X, Tesla Model III | Powered by Evolved Vehicle Environments

I take back what I said about this one. Sounds like this is a terrible company, don’t sign up with EVE (see the linked thread below).

EVE Tesla App - In my opinion, avoid this Scam Company

I don’t see it ever happening. I think too much runs on the center display computer to risk it. Someone writes something ugly that sticks in a loop, etc. what happens to the car?

Turn signals don’t work when rebooting.

My perception is that auto lane changes don’t work well when the center console is having problems.

What else could be harmed?

Sure, there are sandboxes. But the risk is pretty high imho.

Yes, way too many lawyers.
somebody is going to blame a wreck on a poorly run app that locked out some feature.
Like apple, the only way to ensure 100% functionality is for Tesla to write/approve the apps.
I don't see it happening.

Mirroring a phone app might be possible..but it has similar issues.

Yes, way too many lawyers.
somebody is going to blame a wreck on a poorly run app that locked out some feature.
Like apple, the only way to ensure 100% functionality is for Tesla to write/approve the apps.
I don't see it happening.

Mirroring a phone app might be possible..but it has similar issues.
The HDMI interface box pretty much solved the whole app issue for me. Rear facing seat camera, Chromecast, and RetroPie; features complete.

Reactions: KyleDay