Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you answer, how much did you pay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My co-workers are all techy geeks. They know exactly what I paid and confirm I got the correct options that they would have chosen. You got the FSD right?

Any one of them could afford one. It’s just not a priority in their budgets to do so.

I think folks that got the base RWD it’s actually a reasonably practical and affordable car, when you look at long term cost to own. Assuming you own it long enough and it has a reasonable reliability record.

Beyond RWD it gets into the big boys toys realm. But not to much. That’s why I like the P3D-, nobody can tell :)

Reactions: Raindog1
If it's a stranger, I wouldn't tell him. Then again, I can't imagine a stranger coming up to me and asking. Has never happened in the past either.

If it's a friend or colleague, they have heard me talking about the Model 3 for more than two years. By now they know all the details, including pricing, way down to all available options. I guess by now they are so sick of it they will be happy not to ask me ever again. ;)

I say $55K, before $13.5K in rebates and credits. What's so rude about asking how much a person paid for a vehicle?
Megapsychotron

Question: I live in teh Antelope valley and will take delivery today. I saw you post about $13.5K in rebates and credits. I only know of $10.5K (Fed Taxes $7.5K, CA Taxes $2.5K, and $500.00 from SCE) am I missing some? Thanks for the information in advance.

Another reason I consider this a rude question is that they could answer their question themselves with a quick smart phone internet search.

They only use this as a probing question to kind of put you on the spot, and perhaps feel uncomfortable trying to explain why you spent what you spent on your car.

It is none of their business what you spent on anything you own. If they want to know they can easily do a search.

People sometimes even ask me what I am worth. None of their business.

To my wife 35K

Everyone else, what it actually cost.

In all seriousness, there’s no one size fits all response. Depends on your personality, who you are talking to and how to best craft the response.

Same approach for house, car, private school, etc.

People deserve the correct answer but there are ways to downplay things if your audience is out of reach for the minimal LR.

Trying to be vague even with good intentions is read as very poorly and shifty. Do you look them in the eye while playing grab ass games with the price?

Last edited:
Those who could afford probably have one by now.

You'd be surprised. My dad can drop cash on a fully loaded X, but he was driving a base Civic. A lot of people they hang out with are the same. We convinced him to get a Model 3 also because 1) I was getting one so I can troubleshoot for them, 2) it saves gas and he HATES paying for gas (I don't think it's the money, he just finds it offensive for some reason and takes great delight in writing off a gas receipt for tax purposes whenever he can), and 3) he loves tech. The S was always "too much" to spend on a car, but the 3 was cheap enough that he started paying closer attention and he bought it as a more affordable tech toy to play with rather than a car.

Once the Model 3 came out, I started meeting a TON of these people. Some even converted into Model S and X cars because, again, the money really wasn't the issue. Tesla had a rep for being ultra expensive. The very practical with their money/sees cars as appliances or depreciating asset types never considered them. The Model 3's lower price is low enough to finally reel them in long enough to get them hooked on all the other benefits.

I now totally get why the most common car a Model 3 owner used to own was a car like the Prius instead of the BMW 3 series like many thought would be the case.

I tend to soft peddle my responses. Almost nobody that I talk to thinks they are 35k. As a contractor I'm sensitive to employees thinking I'm compensated too well. I tend to say something like "it wasn't too much more than my old car but I'm saving a ton in gas money".
My non-work friends are in the same income bracket and I tell them directly.

I just tell them 55K. It's not like it's hard to find out. Of course, I do tell them about the $10K in tax credits that I'll get next year. That puts it right in price range of what some people pay for their loaded pickups and SUVs.