Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you release the charge port using the app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am struggling to work out how you remotely release the charge port using the app while the car is charging.

The setting is like this: you are charging at a public charger and have left an EV etiquette tag saying it is OK to unplug. The tag has your phone number on it so people can call you. Like this:
electric-vehicle-hang-tag-on-charging-cord.jpg
Then I get a call asking how do they unplug the charger. So I go to the app an nowhere can I find a way to release the plug. I can stop the charging but that still does not release the plug. Even when fully charged I can't see a way to release the plug using the app. Here's some screen shots from my app:
Screenshot_20160926-144312_resize.png Screenshot_20160926-163624_resize.png

I have searched the web and yes you can open the port door using the app. But how do you release the plug?
Even using the button the plug does not release the plug while the car is locked.

Do I have to unlock the entire car in order for the plug to be released? If you can't remotely release the plug it's not going to be very nice for other people who may want to use the charger from an adjacent parking space.

Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

Marty

i learned that if you unlock the car, or have the trunk open, you can hold down the charger button and it will release.

on the key fob, holding down the trunk button also opens and releases the plug.

( i i didn't read the whold thread, so apologies if this was stated.).

I should have made myself a bit clearer. I want to be able to release the plug while not actually being there, using the app. If I am at work for example and am using the public charger down the road I want to be able to release the plug for other users without having to go there myself. I would prefer not to have to unlock the entire car. Otherwise there is no point in using the EV etiquette tags.

Reactions: Felickz
I should have made myself a bit clearer. I want to be able to release the plug while not actually being there, using the app. If I am at work for example and am using the public charger down the road I want to be able to release the plug for other users without having to go there myself. I would prefer not to have to unlock the entire car. Otherwise there is no point in using the EV etiquette tags.

I wish all ev owners thought like you!

i had the thought too, its an app request.

Try using the remote app to unlock your car ... then re-lock :cool:

I just tested this at home (with keyfob out of range of the car)

With the car plugged in to a powered cable it only gives the option of "start charge" or "stop charge"

tesla-Screenshot_20160926-123729.png

If I switch off power to my wall connector I get the option to "Unlock Port"
tesla-Screenshot_20160926-123815.png

and I've confirmed this a) allows the cable to be removed and b) keeps the car locked.

However this appears to be a limitation with the Tesla App, not the API, because the command to open the chargeport door can also be used to unlock the cable if one is plugged in

See Tesla Model S JSON API · Apiary

I verified this with "teslacmd -P" from the teslams tools - I was able to use that to unlock the cable without unlocking the car, while my HPWC was powered.
That means it's possible for a third-party app to give you the function you want - which is more likely than Tesla fixing this "feature" in the official app.

Thanks for the investigative work MDK.

So in order for me to release the cable remotely using the app I have to get the person to power down the charger first. Or find a 3rd part Android app with that function. What a pain. I gather asking Tesla to add this to their app is unlikely to result in the desired outcome.

Do you know of any such apps?