Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you use your iPhone in the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my model 3 for a few weeks and I love it. I mounted my iPhone using ProClip and it's great.

I could have lived without CarPlay if the phone had not locked itself automatically. I want the screen to stay on, so that I can use Apple Music, podcasts, etc.) I know that:

(1) Waze/Google Maps can keep the screen on while in the foreground - but I don't always use Waze.
(2) there's a "never auto lock" setting, but (even if my corporate had not disabled it) I don't want to use it, since having it maximized the battery usage.
(3) there's an obscure setting called Guided Access that can help keeping Apple Music and the screen always on. However it really a pain in many ways.

Am I missing anything? Is there any way to keep the screen on when in the car (while being charged/while being connected to BT?) It's driving me crazy.

1) If you don't already know: teslawaze.com
2) Turn off screen lock. When charging the level is so high that it will stay at a high SOC and when you leave the car you'll be at 100%
On long trips it's really not a big deal with my iphone screen always on since it's plugged in.

2) Turn off screen lock.

Blocked by my corporate's IT.

It seems that this is not a big issue for most people. It is for me! With previous cars, I used CarPlay mainly for navigation (which I don't need as much in the Tesla) but other than that, it just helped keep my phone on, so I can use Apple Music, Podcasts, etc.

Right now, for me, not having CarPlay and having to unlock the phone while driving is plain dangerous. I guess other people do not need their phone as much while driving (use Siri? Just hit play on Apple Music and leave it alone?) My personal #1 most annoying thing about the Tesla is no CarPlay. Not that CarPlay is great - but is a standard and it works.

Reactions: jmaddr
I bought an Amazon auto for $25 and use it to play Apple Music, make calls, other iPhone controls in my car and control my garage door. It allows me best of both worlds between the Tesla’s voice control and amazon’s.

I mainly use my iPhone for Radarbot Pro as it's the best app I know off for Radar alerts while driving. however I also missed carplay and have a spare 10.5 inch iPad Pro so I use these mounts when I am going on longer trips:

FreeYourTesla.com

It's pretty cool to have 2 screens and use the iPad for things that the Tesla doesn't support yet (or ever).

That said, this is a great bookmark to have on the Tesla or with the iPad: ABetterTheater.com - Full Screen Apps

Reactions: XLR82XS
I mainly use my iPhone for Radarbot Pro as it's the best app I know off for Radar alerts while driving. however I also missed carplay and have a spare 10.5 inch iPad Pro so I use these mounts when I am going on longer trips:

FreeYourTesla.com

It's pretty cool to have 2 screens and use the iPad for things that the Tesla doesn't support yet (or ever).

That said, this is a great bookmark to have on the Tesla or with the iPad: ABetterTheater.com - Full Screen Apps
That mount will cover the wireless charger section of the center stack in the 2021 refresh. Sweet set up though. Assume you iPad has LTE for connectivity?

That mount will cover the wireless charger section of the center stack in the 2021 refresh. Sweet set up though. Assume you iPad has LTE for connectivity?
It does, but I don't use that. I have a Teltonika RUT9850 Automotive Wifi Router installed in the car so there is a wifi hotspot in the car at all times. I did this as I have dual Blackvue cameras and I can access them at any time and see what's going on with my car. Kind of fun to do especially when it is in the shop or something. ;-)