Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you wash your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was so impressed with the surface protection (bugs just wash off with warm water and soft rag) that I asked at my service center what they use. I was told they use Green Clean waterless car wash. I found it (at Amazon.com?) for $20.00 for 16 oz spray bottle. It works great and while on road trips I clean the last 200 or so miles of bugs off the front and mirrors quite quickly and easily.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
I would never consider buying a $150k+ car then taking it through a touch-less wash. There are people who will come to your house and wash your car (many will even bring the water) if you are unable to wash it yourself (i.e. live in an apartment or if you are not physicall able to wash the car). If you get a contract with them the cost is not that much. Around $30 to $35 per wash.

I went through the expense of covering the front with Xpel and I put crystal serum on the entire car myself. This makes it easy much easier to keep clean. The Xpel should last three years and the crystal serum will need to be done at least each year.

I had to buy a water filtration system as I have very hard water and it left spots on my car. I think it was $250 at Sam's Club. The most time consuming part of the process is cleaning the wheels. I got the helix wheels and my hands won't fit between the spokes. Therefore I have to use a special brush. I first use a wheel cleaner to get rid of the road dirt and break dust. I let it stay on while I wash the rest of the car. Any mild quality car wash works fine and I use microfiber cloth and towels. After the car is entirely washed and rinsed I then use a car dryer (blower) to dry the car. Do not use a leaf blower or shop vac for this purpose as you want to use filtered air for drying the car. I paid less than $40 for a good dryer. I use the dryer on the entire exterior and therefore do not have to use a drying towel.

Living in Florida you frequently get bugs on the front of the car. This is where the Xpel really helps. Sometimes I have to use a quality bug remover but try to wash it quickly after I get rid of the bug residue.

I wash the car every one to two weeks. I haven't gone through love bug season yet but I know I will be washing the car several times a week during this period.

I had an application of CQuartz finest applied over my full vehicle protective wrap. I just wash once a week
with CarPro Reset Intensive Car Shampoo and then Do a coating conditioning every 3 months with CarPro Reload Spray Sealant. Keeps the car slippery and shiney.....They said should keep the coating good for about 5 years before a reapplication is suggested..

Congratulations on your new Model X,
We get questions from new Tesla owners on a weekly basis. It comes down to your personal preference when washing your vehicle. We do not advise taking cars through machine washes ever, but if you have no other option obviously touch-less would be the preferred between the two. We have a Model X in our shop as we speak and the owner uses primarily our waterless wash-kit. He purchased our kit 6 months ago and still prefers the fact that he can easily take his kit with him and clean his vehicle at any time.

Attached is a Video we made on a Model X, This may answer many questions you may have.

• Helpful
Reactions: SharonB
Congratulations on your new Model X,
We get questions from new Tesla owners on a weekly basis. It comes down to your personal preference when washing your vehicle. We do not advise taking cars through machine washes ever, but if you have no other option obviously touch-less would be the preferred between the two. We have a Model X in our shop as we speak and the owner uses primarily our waterless wash-kit. He purchased our kit 6 months ago and still prefers the fact that he can easily take his kit with him and clean his vehicle at any time.

Attached is a Video we made on a Model X, This may answer many questions you may have.

I highly recommend both EliteFinish's products and customer service. It is extremely easy to clean your X in a matter of minutes with this stuff!

At 5'8" and 160 lbs, I simply cannot get to the center top of the windshield to clean it with rags. Anyone else in the same boat? I don't want to stand on a ladder or step stool, as the issue is the reach over the aluminum panels to get to the center. I don't want to bend or dent the quarter panels just to reach the top of the wind screen. Any one else have a solution beyond stretching my arms to get them longer?

At 5'8" and 160 lbs, I simply cannot get to the center top of the windshield to clean it with rags. Anyone else in the same boat? I don't want to stand on a ladder or step stool, as the issue is the reach over the aluminum panels to get to the center. I don't want to bend or dent the quarter panels just to reach the top of the wind screen. Any one else have a solution beyond stretching my arms to get them longer?
I'm of similar dimensions and I struggle with cleaning the windshield as well. I use a ladder when I wash, but because of the shape of the vehicle, it's not even possible to get a ladder very close. Not to mention the anxiety imagining the falcon wing door popping out and knocking me off the ladder...

I purchased a squeegee from my local hardware store. It's not very high quality, but it suffices. I use a microfiber cloth on a stick to wash, and then squeegee the window. When you're shopping, make sure the squeegee has rubber that is not shallow. It needs to be quite deep because of the curvature of the windshield, and it takes some practice to make sure you get full coverage.

I should probably get a better one, but for now I keep that one in my frunk as well with a spray bottle of window cleaner. Comes in handy on road trips.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
Can't even think about getting a towel to dry the top of the car between FWD. Do you use de-ionized water? I did my first wash after 2 weeks of ownership, used some Rain X product which said to let car dry without toweling, and there was no way that would dry without water spots from our Denver water, so I might consider de-ionized water for rinsing if it really allows for no water spots...

I use a microfiber cloth on a stick to wash, and then squeegee the window.

715564.jpg

What an exciting week!!!!!! I just packaged and shipped our 9th custom Kit sent out this week to Tesla forum members. It is truly a pleasure to help you all from start to finish. Here was the last two Kits today!!! Both Model X owners!!!! Let me know if I can help or answer questions. My email is linked below.

Robert

IMG_2380.JPG
IMG_2381.JPG

I'm of similar dimensions and I struggle with cleaning the windshield as well. I use a ladder when I wash, but because of the shape of the vehicle, it's not even possible to get a ladder very close. Not to mention the anxiety imagining the falcon wing door popping out and knocking me off the ladder...

I purchased a squeegee from my local hardware store. It's not very high quality, but it suffices. I use a microfiber cloth on a stick to wash, and then squeegee the window. When you're shopping, make sure the squeegee has rubber that is not shallow. It needs to be quite deep because of the curvature of the windshield, and it takes some practice to make sure you get full coverage.

I should probably get a better one, but for now I keep that one in my frunk as well with a spray bottle of window cleaner. Comes in handy on road trips.
One small tip for this is to lower your suspension to very low before you start your wash. It might get you the extra inch or two you need to get the very middle. I'm 6'0", and use a step ladder for the top of the car in the middle as well. I couldn't imagine hand washing our old Aspen without leaning against it (I'm also in the never-properly-washed-a-car-before-my-Tesla group).

What an exciting week!!!!!! I just packaged and shipped our 9th custom Kit sent out this week to Tesla forum members. It is truly a pleasure to help you all from start to finish. Here was the last two Kits today!!! Both Model X owners!!!! Let me know if I can help or answer questions. My email is linked below.

Robert

View attachment 189412 View attachment 189414

How much does it cost? Need something to occasionally wipe bird crap in between monthly washes

We like the low/waterless cleaners. Bob does the top of our S. Carolyn does the bottom. Takes about 30 minutes max. We really like the results. Micofiber stuff cleans great in washer. While not endorsing any one product because we have not evaluated others, we use microfiber mits (2 per wash) and large microfiber towels (5/6 per wash) and Optimum no rinse wash & wax.

How much does it cost? Need something to occasionally wipe bird crap in between monthly washes

We put together kits based on your needs, Most members have picked our WashMist Wash-kit. It comes with everything you need to keep your vehicle both protected and of course clean. The kit is 100$ and breaks down to $2 a wash. Premium microfiber towels are also included, and are equally as important as the wash chemical used. I highly suggest you look into a product that is worth the money you spend. We have done the testing and research on our product and stand behind it 1000%.