Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does a full wrap make sense?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Concerning the full wrap question I had the front and rockers wrapped. I had a truck kick up a huge rock and it flew at and angle and hit my rear right fender. The ceramic coating didn't really help. If I had to do it again I would not do it differently. Odd stuff always happens but the front always takes a beating.

Concerning the full wrap question I had the front and rockers wrapped. I had a truck kick up a huge rock and it flew at and angle and hit my rear right fender. The ceramic coating didn't really help. If I had to do it again I would not do it differently. Odd stuff always happens but the front always takes a beating.

Ceramic won't help against rocks. But PPF does, or at least it's supposed to.

I have a full wrap including ceramic, FYI. Very happy I did.

Reactions: Jaywlker
Oh I forgot something important - If you decide to do a wrap and/or ceramic on your M3, be *sure* the installer does thorough paint correction. I had one installer say it'll take a day and another several days. I asked the latter why so long, and he said that they take a good long time to do paint correction, whereas not all installers do. I got some advice from some high-end paint and body guy and he emphasized that it was essential to go with someone who does a thorough job at paint correction.

Getting ready to lease return my 2016 Hyundai Genesis with 35,000 miles. After seeing all of the rock chips on the front bumper and headlights of that car I decided to spend 1,950 to ppf the front end of my M3 and ceramic coat the rest. I drive about 50 miles per day on fast moving urban freeways. I do not tailgate and am careful to avoid following semis. Regarding a discount applied at trade in for ppf coverings- I have never heard of that and would not worry...

Wraps can incur a removal charge, but PPF is different and if in good condition should only reasonably increase the value in private resale. It wouldn't help on a trade due to them using wholesale calculators that wont account for it though. For me it is irrelevant since I would likely keep the car as long as the wrap lasts. The end goal being me enjoying the car more not stressing as much about damage and deterioration of the finish and being able to sell with paint that looks new.

Oh I forgot something important - If you decide to do a wrap and/or ceramic on your M3, be *sure* the installer does thorough paint correction. I had one installer say it'll take a day and another several days. I asked the latter why so long, and he said that they take a good long time to do paint correction, whereas not all installers do. I got some advice from some high-end paint and body guy and he emphasized that it was essential to go with someone who does a thorough job at paint correction.

Paint correction is needed for ceramic for sure. For thin wrap material only blemishes that change the elevation of the finish need addressing as they will show. With PPF swirls and light contaminants are not relevant since the clear adhesive fills the voids as a super thick clear coat would. My M3 was flawless and dropped to get the full PPF using Suntek Ultra Defense this morning. $3500 for the full car. When I stopped in to talk to the installer last week he was wrapping a $400k Bentley so I think I am good.

Last edited:
I dug up the email from that guy I mentioned, he does PPF and ceramic:

The vehicle needs to be prepped prior to the PPF film installation. This should be a deep wash, clay bar treatment, de-iron surface cleaner. It then needs to be buffed, and any swirls, holograms and micro-maring needs to be removed to get the best optical shine possible. Even tho the film being put on will have some orange peel, if the paint underneath is not super crisp you will be able to tell.

Full car you are looking at about 5500 to do, full front kits start about 1950. Depending on your budget will depend on how much protection you want. Front bumpers are usually $550 for that car and rear bumper is $575

If you are going to keep the car for a long time, invest in quality ceramic coating that will last. There is no coating that is lifetime, that is all a gimmick, a good coating with a strong silica concentrant will last upwards of 5 to 6 years. I use 22ple so I am speaking on behalf of that coating brand. But again, there is no coating that is lifetime ..the coating eventually errodes off as you wash, drive etc

I charge $1950 for my 6 year coating

I had gotten quotes when I originally was going to buy a black M 3 (but changed my mind and I'm picking up my white M 3 on Sunday).

Our local place was going to do Crystal Serum Ultra with EXOv4 - 9 years guaranteed protection and I was quoted between $1,579 and $1,779 to do the job (including paint correction and prep work).

Since the white color cost more than the standard black, that ate into any budget I had for ceramic coating.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Never wrapped a car before, but I decided to do a 3M Scotchgard Pro, partial front wrapped edges, rockers and full doors. Since I DIY'd it, my cost was $700, plus my labor. The install went well, but I haven't done the front bumper yet, waiting for a nice day, since it's the hardest piece by far.
Any direction as to where you bought all the pieces from?

It makes absolutely zero FINANCIAL sense on a $40-60k car. You'll never see that return at resale. Its only valuable to the owner that wants to keep the paint entirely pristine.
If one wants to make financial sense, don't buy a Tesla. I bought it for the fun, and cause I love the car, no regrets ! But I never tried to convince myself it was a financial decision. Based on that, you might as well keep it pristine !:)

Reactions: JetSpeed
If one wants to make financial sense, don't buy a Tesla. I bought it for the fun, and cause I love the car, no regrets ! But I never tried to convince myself it was a financial decision. Based on that, you might as well keep it pristine !:)

I think my point is why you want to keep it pristine. If you value having perfect paint that has no blemishes and can afford the wrap, go for it.

There are people out there that have convinced themselves that wrapping the car will add value 5 years down the road, and that just simply won't pay out on a car that will sell for $20k used.

I think my point is why you want to keep it pristine. If you value having perfect paint that has no blemishes and can afford the wrap, go for it.

There are people out there that have convinced themselves that wrapping the car will add value 5 years down the road, and that just simply won't pay out on a car that will sell for $20k used.
I know what you meant, and I agree, I was half answering your post and half making a statement if it ever makes sense :)

I wonder if anyone has chosen a wrap over FSD?

Other than window tint... upgrading the car itself is where I would spend the money.

Also, the extent you spend on your protection depends on what you are protecting.

Full protection on a 3P with Red Paint, FSD cost the same as a 3SR with black paint aero wheels, no AP, etc.

Yeah, wraps are expensive and don't offer too much in terms of protection, but they sure do look cool. I sometimes wish I could wrap my Tesla but I don't think the cost is worth it. If you want more details about wether to wrap or not look at this website Tesla Vehicle Wraps , as they offer a lot of good info about wraps and other Tesla specific services like chrome deletes and ceramic pro.

The place applying PPF caught a couple blemishes during prep that I didn't before dropping it off. It was raining and hasn't stopped since I picked it up so it was hard to get a very clear view of every inch. I have notified the service center I picked up from and sent them photos and am awaiting follow up. That door and rocker can't be wrapped in the PPF since the raised blemishes will cause air pockets. Not that I would want those left as is anyway considering what I am spending to do this.

52937.jpeg

52944.jpeg

• Informative
Yeah, wraps are expensive and don't offer too much in terms of protection, but they sure do look cool. I sometimes wish I could wrap my Tesla but I don't think the cost is worth it. If you want more details about wether to wrap or not look at this website Tesla Vehicle Wraps , as they offer a lot of good info about wraps and other Tesla specific services like chrome deletes and ceramic pro.
That page is a pretty worthless regurgitation of some basic common wrap facts. It felt very click baitish.

3M Pro 4 Gloss self healing ....10 yr warranty against fading, yellowing, cracking peeling etc. 5yr paint protection warranty is also available. If a projectile breaches the 3M film and damages the paint, the 5-year warranty will pay up to $3,500 to correct. Certified 3M installers will absolutely stand behind the warranty. 2020 Model S wrapped bummer to bummer excluding roof.
20191220_112957.jpg
20191220_090055.jpg
20200114_080248.jpg