Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the trunk work on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that the rear glass allows for a more aerodynamic design (more range!) while providing decent rear headroom, I'll be okay with a higher range car with good headroom and a somewhat limited trunk (doesn't appear that different from 3-series) over a car with much more limited range or impractical rear head space and a giant lift gate opening.

I love my prius's hatch, and would love for the production version to be a hatch, but I'm not too deterred by the prototype design.

I don't think the material (glass) helps in anyway about aerodynamics...
Tesla should just give a hatchback option (even with steel roof I'd be happy)

Typical density of carbon steel. - 7000kg/m^3, glass density 2500kg/m^3. Glass is used for weight savings and ease of assembly (glue).

Also, what's interesting is that thermal conductivity of glass is much less than aluminum so it actually should keep the car warmer.

Last edited:
Made the gif credit to original video by TMC Test Ride in the Tesla Model 3

giphy.gif

Typical density of carbon steel. - 7000kg/m^3, glass density 2500kg/m^3. Glass is used for weight savings and ease of assembly (glue).
For the same strength, I'm pretty sure steel is lighter. You don't need as thick a sheet for the same strength. I'm pretty sure any time a steel surface is replaced with glass, the glass is always heavier (for example pano roofs are always heavier than standard roofs).

Like others disappointed with small opening. Hopefully the full rear seats fold fully flat. Would like to see three pieces of roof glass instead of two as it appears to be now. That might allow for the larger opening. Will have to wait and see what the final model looks like.

For the same strength, I'm pretty sure steel is lighter. You don't need as thick a sheet for the same strength. I'm pretty sure any time a steel surface is replaced with glass, the glass is always heavier (for example pano roofs are always heavier than standard roofs).

Pano roof is more than just glass. Metal roof would also require some lining which would lessen head room space and add weight.

The trunk opening isnt that much smaller than most sedans. I agree tall boxes will have an issue with getting squeezed in there since the horizontal length is shorter than other cars. I am fine with it though. All i need to fit is luggage and golf clubs #firstworldproblems

They didn't show the frunk at all. So overall, likely more storage than my 330. Just those larger items...

I can rent a lot of pickups for the cost difference between the s and 3, for the few times I need more space.

I saw a video or picture of the frunk somewhere on the internet last night, but can't find it again. it was pretty spacious. it had a piece of full size luggage in it.

Would like to see three pieces of roof glass instead of two as it appears to be now. That might allow for the larger opening.

The trunk opening is restricted by the steel frame structure, not by the glass!
Check out the images in the first page, and you would see the the trunk opening size is fixed - and there will be no changes in the final car.

Check out the images in the first page, and you would see the the trunk opening size is fixed - and there will be no changes in the final car.
Yeah, looking at the steel frame, it looks like it might be restricted by that. I hope that model is still subject to some change, but the chances are a lot slimmer than if that model didn't exist.

I just hope there is some why to express to Tesla that the lack of a hatch / small trunk opening is a significant issue for people.

One could probably also say that the steel frame structure is designed that way because of the glass. Now whether the design of the frame is absolutely locked or not is another question to ask.

Reactions: alseTrick
Smaller car doesn't necessary mean less storage. The concern here is that the opening isn't large enough to be able to even put stuff into the car. Even a moving truck looses utility if the doors are only as large as a laptop.

I could see this rear trunk possibly being problem for some people going to buy wholesale items at Costco/ Sam's Club let alone furniture.

At least the 3' still has the frunk. But we could see the trunk being significantly smaller than we we're used to seeing given sacrifices for interior leg room.

Me too, I want a hatchback. For all my life, I only want either SUV or smaller cars with hatchback. From Mini Cooper, BMW X3 MSport, Mazda older 6 hatchback and Honda CRX. My cars have all been hatchbacks or SUV back. I need bigger opening. That was why the design of Model S was perfect, except the car has a size too big for us to easily find parking in San Francisco. We don't have a garage, our big city culture is that newcomers to condos wait for parking space availability.

I hope that when Elon and his team will finalize the specs, it will include an option for a hatchback style. I actually don't care much about the panoramic rear glass since I mostly sit in the front. It is an area where Tesla can get more potential buyers who may otherwise shop for a Prius with the rear hatch opening for bigger items. Yes, it is a deal breaker for me, I have asked to withdraw my deposit for now. I don't care any ground-breaking cars so long as it doesn't have a hatchback style opening. Some people may call me freaking out, but I am not. The reality is that Tesla could have more customers with a variety of designs of the same platform. I still have hope because I think Elon is a smart guy. He should not disappoint me.

Reactions: JER
I hope that when Elon and his team will finalize the specs, it will include an option for a hatchback style. I actually don't care much about the panoramic rear glass since I mostly sit in the front. It is an area where Tesla can get more potential buyers who may otherwise shop for a Prius with the rear hatch opening for bigger items. Yes, it is a deal breaker for me, I have asked to withdraw my deposit for now. I don't care any ground-breaking cars so long as it doesn't have a hatchback style opening. Some people may call me freaking out, but I am not. The reality is that Tesla could have more customers with a variety of designs of the same platform. I still have hope because I think Elon is a smart guy. He should not disappoint me.

You will probably want to wait for the Model Y that will be built on the Model 3 platform. I suspect it will have a hatch back and falcon wing rear doors and be better suited to you. (Just like the X is built on the S platform.)

I can fully understand why it would be a problem for some people. For example they want to put their dog(s) in the trunk and not the back seat. You can't do that with a Model 3.

Obviously they aren't having any problems attracting interested parties at this time. (~200k reservations in ~24 hours.)

Reactions: doublejj