Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the trunk work on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pay 40k for a hatch? Yeah, that makes sense ;)
No. Pay $40000 for an electric hatchback car with similar range and seating comfort, but better cargo capabilities.
Elon already said that glass was there to allow good headroom. Electric cars need to focus on drag coefficient. And in case of Model 3 it's even more important because of less margin IMHO. They can't increase drag because that would require more battery for similar range and will increase price of car.

The lack of headroom in the back of the S was one of the main reasons we chose not to buy one. It just seemed inexcusable in a large car that wanted to go head-to-head with the big German sedans. Now, I'm probably in the minority in this because the S has competed well against those Germans in sales. But still, I appreciate the attention Tesla has paid to the issue in their new release.
As for the trunk, not a deal breaker. The 3 is a sedan with a trunk (and a frunk), and will be replacing a sedan with a trunk.
Robin

I'm not a fan of the trunk. I think I'll keep my reservation and then reassess my options in a year or so. Sadly, utility seems to be a low priority at Tesla. First they never supplied a tow hitch for the Model S, then they launched the Model X with non-folding second row seats and then they went for a pretty useless trunk on the Model 3. I'm willing to pay 80k for a large car with useful cargo space and a tow hitch, or 40k for a small-ish car with a useful cargo space and no tow hitch, but thus far none of the cars fit the criteria.

I don't quite know what I'll end up with. The rumoured 5 seat Model X might be an option, or the Model Y, or maybe the Model 3 (especially if the trunk is different on the production version), or maybe the Model S will get a tow hitch. I'll just have to see.

I do know there will be quite a number of cancellation in Norway. Trunk space is quite important here. But for Tesla Motors, it won't matter, demand doesn't seem to be an issue.

Now whether the design of the frame is absolutely locked or not is another question to ask.

The chassis and the steel frame structure is first part of the design which is finalized; as it affects all other aspects of the car design - the door, the glass, the roof, the hinge, the suspension, the wiring.... And since it is the most important factor in structural strength and crash worthiness, you cannot change the chassis/frame easily without a major overhaul of the whole design.

• Informative
Reactions: Zoomit
.....and then they went for a pretty useless trunk on the Model 3.

Useless trunk? Seriously?
How is Model 3's trunk any less useful than other sedan in its class?

This is the trunk of a 3 series sedan:
2014-bmw-3-series-4-door-sedan-335i-rwd-trunk_100440153_l.jpg

If you compare with a fastback, hatch back or wagon, then Model 3 maybe less practical. But compared with all other compact sedan, Model 3's trunk is not any different.

Useless trunk? Seriously?
How is Model 3's trunk any less useful than other sedan in its class?

This is the trunk of a 3 series sedan:
2014-bmw-3-series-4-door-sedan-335i-rwd-trunk_100440153_l.jpg

If you compare with a fastback, hatch back or wagon, then Model 3 maybe less practical. But compared with all other compact sedan, Model 3's trunk is not any different.
All sedans (non-liftback, or similar) have useless trunks. If I need to move a couch, table or something, how do I do that?

The chassis and the steel frame structure is first part of the design which is finalized; as it affects all other aspects of the car design - the door, the glass, the roof, the hinge, the suspension, the wiring.... And since it is the most important factor in structural strength and crash worthiness, you cannot change the chassis/frame easily without a major overhaul of the whole design.
Did Tesla say that this is the final structural design someplace? If not, they could have gone with a single piece of off the shelf glass rather than two custom pieces because of cost.

All sedans (non-liftback, or similar) have useless trunks. If I need to move a couch, table or something, how do I do that?
I wouldn't say trunks are useless, just that the Model 3 trunk opening looks smaller than other ones (particularly the part on the top surface).

Yes, it is less useful than a hatch, but personally, I wouldn't be moving coaches or tables with my car anyways (although large luggage or boxes is common and a small trunk opening makes it difficult or impossible to put inside, despite there being enough volume to fit).

You will probably want to wait for the Model Y that will be built on the Model 3 platform. I suspect it will have a hatch back and falcon wing rear doors and be better suited to you. (Just like the X is built on the S platform.)

I can fully understand why it would be a problem for some people. For example they want to put their dog(s) in the trunk and not the back seat. You can't do that with a Model 3.

Obviously they aren't having any problems attracting interested parties at this time. (~200k reservations in ~24 hours.)
I've been wondering whether "part 2" is the Model Y and it will basically be like a mini Model X with *only* Falcon Wing Doors (no need for front regular doors due to smaller size) and a hatch like the X, and that it will be available shortly after the Model 3.

But mostly I just want them to start building the Model 3 as is, quickly, and in large quantities. I have almost exclusively owned (and loved) hatch backs/5-doors, whatever you want to call them. Dodge Colt Vista, Saab 900, Toyota Highlander Hybrid. But having seen videos of this trunk on the Model 3, I'm OK with it. Ultimately it will be just the first of possibly several body styles on the Model 3 platform: sedan, crossover, wagon, mini pickup truck, micro cargo van. The possibilities are endless.

Gotta start somewhere. Start with this.

Easy answer that's already been given. The Model 3 trunk is equally as useless as other sedans in its class. I expect better, not the same. Too much to ask that it be as good as a Prius in that regard?

"Model Y" (CUV on Model 3 platform) is the car you probably want to wait to purchase.

I don't know why Tesla made the tradeoff between lift back and trunk, but there are a number of possibilities ranging from chassis stiffness to NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) isolation issues. At least Model 3 gives the driver the addition of a frunk, although this doesn't help for larger items.

A sport sedan is not meant for hauling bulky items though. My Honda Civic sedan is the same way.

The trunk opening needs to be taller in particular. Try getting a large cooler into that trunk for a family picnic. That's something you might assume you can do since it's not anything too giant like furniture. The rear glass comes down WAY too low. I was actually very surprised that this didn't have a lift back, seeing how this is basically supposed to be a shrunken down Model S.

I don't know why Tesla made the tradeoff between lift back and trunk, but there are a number of possibilities ranging from chassis stiffness to NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) isolation issues.

By my eye, the lift back vs notch back trade off seems to result from the basic geometry of the M3, aero, and that rear glass. Notably, the rear overhang look very short to me (which I love), and I believe the rear shape of any object dictates a lot about the aerodynamics which I think requires that long slope that terminates near the rear edge. And then of course the large rear glass, which seems to allow for slightly more head room in the back, and some "wow" factor.

Obviously, everyone wants the "affordable" Tesla to meet their specific needs. But it can never be everything to everyone.
At least the folks who lament the lack of hatch know that the Y is lurking, as opposed to having no idea when/if Tesla would address this concern.