Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the trunk work on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still don't understand how we can have smaller ICE-hatchback cars that are safe, and this one would need to compromise (take your pick from EU Honda Civic, or Golf GTI).
If it's aimed at Luxury, I expected it to go against BMW 4 Series or Audi A3 or A5 Sportback, both have decent head room and very practical cargo.
The crazy-big rear glass isnt something I would have spec'd if it was optional, backup cam on ModelS works fine enough.

...the US perspective is similar to the Audi A4 sedan, the European perspective is an Audi A4 Avant (hatchback) - what could work in both is the Audi A5 (which is what the Model S looks closest to - and the Model S is allegedly a sedan). From my perspective it is a pity the Model 3 looks like an A5 but only has the utility of a A4 sedan...

They need Model 3 funds and revenue to expand to more-niche formats like hatchbacks, liftbacks, etc. Model S and X being liftbacks were only possibly because they're incredibly huge vehicles, and huge vehicles can have liftbacks without significant trade-offs.
Having a 200 mile EV was well-within the realm of what's economically and feasibly possible on the horizon; making adult males in the United States all shrink a few inches in size so that a comfortable, compact liftback sedan with a frunk can exist is not physically possible.
The Model Y is for you, the Model 3 is for the largest and most popular format in that mid-size luxury sedan category. I don't think you'd be happy if someone took the Model Y CUV and wanted to turn it into a notchback.
Hatchback doesnt work "just"on huge cars and not everyone want a S/CUV, also Elon said the funds to go mainstream were thanks to Roadster, Model S and Model X buyers... Not M3 (as obviously none sold yet)

We have a BMW 3 series and have never been like "wish we had a hatchback." IMO true hatchbacks look disgusting and there is no aesthetic appeal. I like the way the Model S doesn't look like a hatchback. I can see how the lift back style could be useful, but I'm shocked at how many people are basically saying that a trunk is useless.
"disgusting", so you don't like the VW GTI, or Audi A5/A7 Sportback ?
People may go for M3 as their single car - I know not common in the US, but this is a global launch.

I think some of the trade offs with a hatchback are more noise from the rear wheels (sedans can have more insulation because of the trunk). I know I can hear a lot more road noise from the rear of my Volt than all my prior sedans..

Another factor is body stiffness. A sedan allows several solid cross members across the rear of the vehicle stiffening up the body and providing better handling. My VW and Lexus sedans even had non-folding rear seats to further increase the rigidity of the frame for improved cornering.
So you give up the utility, but gain performance and ride comfort. And I think the security of a trunk factors in as well.

Oh, I forgot one disadvantage of a hatch: the climate system. A hatchback has much more interior space to cool and heat vs a sedan. Which will be a big benefit with an EV considering how much the AC and heater drain battery range.
Food for thoughts, back to ICE would you prefer an Audi S6 Avant or Audi S6 Sedan... In Europe we basically never see the later.
Finally some real reasons noise and A/C: but the recents wagons or hatchs have cargo curtain/covers

I still don't understand how we can have smaller ICE-hatchback cars that are safe, and this one would need to compromise (take your pick from EU Honda Civic, or Golf GTI).
If it's aimed at Luxury, I expected it to go against BMW 4 Series or Audi A3 or A5 Sportback, both have decent head room and very practical cargo.
The crazy-big rear glass isnt something I would have spec'd if it was optional, backup cam on ModelS works fine enough.

Hatchback doesnt work "just"on huge cars and not everyone want a S/CUV, also Elon said the funds to go mainstream were thanks to Roadster, Model S and Model X buyers... Not M3 (as obviously none sold yet)

People may go for M3 as their single car - I know not common in the US, but this is a global launch.

Food for thoughts, back to ICE would you prefer an Audi S6 Avant or Audi S6 Sedan... In Europe we basically never see the later.
Finally some real reasons noise and A/C: but the recents wagons or hatchs have cargo curtain/covers

In your example, the A3, GTI, S6 Avant, all fall under traditional hatchback, which Americans tend to not prefer (they think it looks ugly or cheap).

The 4 series and A5/A7 are more sedan/coupe-like hatchbacks/liftbacks, which are more to US tastes, but the hatchback hinge/beam interferes with rear headroom, just like it does in the Model S (which is in the same category). Keep in mind, this may not show up in headroom measurements (because the hinge/beam is nearer to the back of the head as you lean back and headroom measurements usually measure to headliner nearer to the front or middle of the head). Tesla already explained that this rear headroom issue was why they dropped the liftback design. The speculation is that Tesla expects these to be popular Uber cars, so rear headroom is a bigger issue than the cargo opening.

Matte black spotted one has the boot (trunk) open in one of the pics and I noticed there's another 3 behind it with it open too:

LtMK4Q2.jpg

On the right hand model 3 is the charger lead is plugged into the middle of the tailgate? It is going up to it? Not the supercharger one the other charger lead, where the yellow arrow is.

Name one Model 3 sized hatchback that's also as aerodynamic as the Model 3.

Pretty sure people don't want something that looks like the Leaf.

On the right hand model 3 is the charger lead is plugged into the middle of the tailgate? It is going up to it? Not the supercharger one the other charger lead, where the yellow arrow is.
It does appear to be going into the trunk, I suspect the production part with the charge port isn't designed so they just have plug in the back somewhere.

The part where you think it goes up to I am pretty sure is just reflection of the plastic on the inside of the trunk lid.

I think what's deceiving many people, including me is that the rear is slanted so the top portion looks small. However, if you consider the distance between bottom to opposing top edges trunk's opening is fine.

One other thing to note is that they are charging through their trunks.

Yes they are charging through the trunk. One of the reveal ride videos when they opened the trunk th guy filming leaned in and noticed a box or something and the Tesla guy stated there was a bit of prototype stuff in there that wouldn't be in the final versions. I assume that was charging bits and pieces given they spoke of the port but didn't (couldn't demonstrate) the port location.

This is a global launch, but US accounts for 62% of Tesla sales, while Europe only 17%.
And in US, market share in 2014 is 35% sedan, 5.5% hatch back, 1.2% wagon.
If you were decision maker in Tesla, which one would you concentrate on first? Sedan or hatchback/wagon?
The answer is clear. Actually, the SUV market share has overtaken sedans at 36%. So the next step for Tesla is also very clear - Model Y.

If you have been to US, then you would know that you would have a hard time finding the former.
That's just the reality of cultural difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Vitold
Just for the record, the current Prius has a Cd of 0.24, down from 0.26 on the last version. That's still notably higher than the 0.21 goal for the Model 3.

Rant follows...I don't get all this hubbub about the sedan trunk. What do you think the Model Y is going to be? A 3-row CUV like the X? Of course not. Using the same platform as the 3, the Y will have about 1 inch more ground clearance and a hatchback. THAT'S IT! It won't have a squared wagon shape, which is a non-starter for 2 reasons: US buyers shun them (for no good reason), and the aero drag hit would be too big. I'm guessing the Y will have less of fastback "coupe" look than the X, but it will still need to have good aero to minimize the range hit and so will be a hatchback (not a liftback and not a wagon).

It's simple, as has been reiterated many times before, the design team prioritized aero efficiency above interior volume. This defined the slope of the roofline. Then they prioritized back seat space and headroom over cargo access.

Serious question: Had they made the 3 a hatchback, what do you think the differentiation would be for the Y? (and please don't say falcon wing doors) Wouldn't they basically be the same car?

What do you think the Model Y is going to be? A 3-row CUV like the X? Of course not. Using the same platform as the 3, the Y will have about 1 inch more ground clearance and a hatchback. THAT'S IT! It won't have a squared wagon shape, which is a non-starter for 2 reasons: US buyers shun them (for no good reason), and the aero drag hit would be too big. I'm guessing the Y will have less of fastback "coupe" look than the X, but it will still need to have good aero to minimize the range hit and so will be a hatchback (not a liftback and not a wagon).

Are you serious? The X is hardly a "fastback coupe." I don't want to take anything away from the X, it's an impressive vehicle in many rights, but its styling is awkward to say the least. If anything, the S is a "fastback coupe." I understand the rationale of wanting to maximize interior space, and the belief that doing a conventional sedan would facilitate that. I can accept that. However, there's nothing inherent in the 3's shape that force it to be a notchback sedan. The same profile could easily be a 5-door. I think most expect the Y to be more crossover-y.

Honestly, my hope is that once I get my 3, my wife will be so impressed with it, that by the time the Y comes out, she'll want one. She currently has a Ford Escape.

Serious question: Had they made the 3 a hatchback, what do you think the differentiation would be for the Y? (and please don't say falcon wing doors) Wouldn't they basically be the same car?

The dirty secret to US auto design is that you can take a European style hatchback and add minimal cladding, raise its suspension a couple of inches like you claim, and you can sell it as a crossover. What do you think the difference between the Audi Allroad (sold in the US) is from the Audi A4 Avant (sold in Europe)? They use the exact same body. Americans may not like the words "hatchback" or "wagons" but they have been buying buying up crossovers in droves. Most automakers are getting out of the pure Sedan business. That might be the reason for so much blowback over the way the trunk has been designed. There may be a large group of Americans who still buy pure Sedans or coupes, but that group has become a minority this decade.

Are you serious? The X is hardly a "fastback coupe."
Let me clarify, the X rear backlight angle is more like a BMW X6 than the X5. The X6 and similar cars are coupe versions of squared-off, traditional CUVs/SUVs.
However, there's nothing inherent in the 3's shape that force it to be a notchback sedan. The same profile could easily be a 5-door.
Exactly, but they made the proper decision to distinguish the 3 sedan from the Y hatchback.