Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How easy is it to access the rear trunk area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
My parcel shelf and rear trunk foot well cover are on my "due bill". My Tesla rear trunk mats are on backorder.

Since the Tesla rear mat appears to be one piece, my concern is that will make it more difficult to get into the "hidden" storage in the back - and that a split trunk mat might be more effective than a single piece.

Does anybody have all of this yet for their Model S?

When everything is in place, how easy is it to use the rear trunk area with the parcel shelf in place?

And, how easy is it to get into the rear trunk foot well, when it is covered by the Tesla rear trunk mat and the foot well cover?

Mine hasn't arrived yet (at least not in my driveway--only a few days more), but my other car is similar in that it has the same kind of set up: a one piece mat and a cargo cover. It's basically no problem to get at as long as there isn't anything else other than the mat blocking the trunk-well cover. I don't expect it to be a problem in the Model S either.

Ah, thanks. It looked like that large piece would cover it but wasn't sure. They charged my credit card awhile ago but haven't shipped it yet (hate it when companies do that).

Tesla doesn't appear to be current with modern credit card practices. I believe it's the only company I deal with (and 90% of my purchases are on-line) that charges when the order is placed rathe than when the order is shipped.

I bought a set of Lloyd's mats for my S, including the rear trunk cargo mat. Still waiting for my parcel shelf.

The rear trunk mat does make it a bit more difficult to access the trunk well, and especially to button it back up again (the well lid is a loose item and tends to get out of position when you raise the mat and the lid to gain access).

Contrast that inconvenience with the extra security of being able to hide items in the well that the mat hides completely. No one peering in from the outside would even suspect the well exists, and even if someone was motivated to break into your car they might not discover the well.

Installed the Tesla rear trunk mat today - but I'm still using my home-made rear trunk well cover - which I cut to fit snugly over the trunk well.

I can still get into the trunk well by lifting the Tesla mat (it has a small handle on the back side of the mat) and then lifting up my temporary well cover - which works OK. If I was going to keep this combination, I might add a handle on the back of my temporary well cover - and might shave a little off the back edge to make it easier to lift underneath the trunk mat.

Still waiting for the Tesla well cover, and if it has the hinged area at the back (like what I saw at the Tesla store over the weekend), I'm concerned that it won't be easy to use underneath the trunk mat - and might stick with my homemade trunk well cover - which may not look as nice - but isn't visible under the trunk mat anyway...