Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast did Model S ruin you for ICE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not only has it ruined driving ICE cars for me, it has evaporated any interest in new ICE cars for me. Whatever BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc are doing that is NOT electric has no interest at all. It seems old already. When a beautiful new ICE car is announced at some trade show, I can't help but think that it's a pity that it's not an EV. It's like Apple announcing a beautiful new device that uses a command prompt.

I feel exactly the same

I suspect those days will be few and far between. Something like 95% of those that keep their ICE because they think they will want to use it sometimes end up selling it within a few months.

I kept my ICE because my car-less 30-something niece living in my home wants to drive something. (I wish she'd buy a Volt.) Driving my 90D isn't happening for at least 2 years. When she leaves, that ICE is getting sold.

How many parents keep and buy ICE for same reason?

I suspect those days will be few and far between. Something like 95% of those that keep their ICE because they think they will want to use it sometimes end up selling it within a few months.

You may be right and I would not be surprised if I do sell it in the Spring. Tesla would only give me 10K on a trade in, and the M5 is worth more to me as an occasional driver than that. Over 20K and I would have traded it without hesitation, 15-20K I think about it, 10K no way. I'll teach my son how to drive a manual and he can use it in the summer when he is home from college.

- - - Updated - - -

I kept my ICE because my car-less 30-something niece living in my home wants to drive something. (I wish she'd buy a Volt.) Driving my 90D isn't happening for at least 2 years. When she leaves, that ICE is getting sold.

How many parents keep and buy ICE for same reason?
+1.

You may be right and I would not be surprised if I do sell it in the Spring. Tesla would only give me 10K on a trade in, and the M5 is worth more to me as an occasional driver than that. Over 20K and I would have traded it without hesitation, 15-20K I think about it, 10K no way. I'll teach my son how to drive a manual and he can use it in the summer when he is home from college.
Yeah, trade-ins are always wholesale.

Yes.

No more getting the hand sanitizer out after handling a nasty gas nozzle. No more timing fill-ups so they don't happen at night or in an unfamiliar location. No more having to lock my door so my purse doesn't get snatched while pumping gas.

I lost my desire for ICE 10 months before getting my Model S.

This is especially true in Houston! My wife is always worried about filling gas in shady/dark areas. The smell and unsanitary nature alone is enough to scare me away.

I guess I'm one of the very few outliers. My other ICE is a '02 BMW M5 which during the winter more than my Model S. Or if we're going into a sketchy town for a movie or dinner (i.e. Stamford ;) ).. I'll take the M5. While still a 5.0liter V8 ICE, it's a blast to drive - and handles much like my Model S. The MS definitely has not ruined my ICE for me.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine bought a 80's or 90's era Porsche 911 Carerra X (I think? --- the AWD model)... and while it was definitely showing it's age in terms of the dials and interior styling of that era, damn, that car was fun to drive!! It made me even consider, somewhere down the line, someday, getting back into the BMW Z4 I sold to buy the Model S. I saw a gorgeous red one just the other day. Swooooon.

If you're talking regular family sedans or SUVs, yeah, there's nothing special there in ICEs.. but specialty cars, like performance sports sedans and small convertibles, I think they still have a place for enjoyment right next to the Model S. Surely, if I had more garage space, I'd own one more two other ICEs.

But that's just me.

Hank,
Looks like we might be close to alone in this thread. I still love my S2000 and taking it to track days. I still love the sound of a V12 Ferrari or the looks of most of the "supercars" and would love the opportunity to drive them. I'd rather drive my 85D back and forth to work or around town with my wife, but it's almost twice the weight of the S2000 and while it handles well for a 4700 lb car, it needs a diet.

I do hate going to gas stations, so the other vehicles in my "fleet" (S2000 and a Chevy Astro van) have their place and get driven only when the need arises.

Some day, a BEV will be made that can fulfill my itch for track days, but today is not the day, and my great danes will never enter the Tesla, so the van stays.

I put my reservation in for the S years before I'd ever even been in an electric car. Didn't ever ride in an electric car until after I'd confirmed my order--I'd read enough about what it's like that it seemed like it would be better.

And it was. Like many others, ICEs were ruined instantly for me, and I'll never drive a gas car again. It's amazing how I can get into a Lexus or a 5 series now and think--wow, this is antiquated.

I love my model S, a P85. In fact, I love it so much I ordered a P90DL (to be delivered late feb/march).

However, I still love to drive our landrover defender 110. Maybe because it's all the Tesla isn't. It's slow, very noisy, diesel and has a drag coefficient comparable to that of a brick (thinking of it, that does make one pedal driving possible in the defender [emoji16]).

None the less, I don't see myself buying a "serious" ice again.

I was pretty much ruined after one test drive. I managed to wait about 6 more months - but Autopilot pushed me over the edge, and I purchased an inventory 85D. I traded in a 17-year-old VW Cabrio, probably setting a record for the largest difference between purchase price and trade-in value.

Hank,
Looks like we might be close to alone in this thread. I still love my S2000 and taking it to track days. I still love the sound of a V12 Ferrari or the looks of most of the "supercars" and would love the opportunity to drive them. I'd rather drive my 85D back and forth to work or around town with my wife, but it's almost twice the weight of the S2000 and while it handles well for a 4700 lb car, it needs a diet.

I do hate going to gas stations, so the other vehicles in my "fleet" (S2000 and a Chevy Astro van) have their place and get driven only when the need arises.

Some day, a BEV will be made that can fulfill my itch for track days, but today is not the day, and my great danes will never enter the Tesla, so the van stays.

Add me to the list of those who still have ICEs in my life. We have three vehicles...the P85D, a VW Rabbit and a Ford F150. Each has a role to play and there really isn't an electric vehicle out there that does what the Rabbit and F150 do. The Rabbit is a total stripper...manual transmission, two doors, no options. I use it around town, especially when I go to shopping centers. A small, agile car with huge cargo capacity is hard to beat for so many things, including trips into downtown SF where getting a parking spot or zigging/zagging through traffic is best down with a small car (and best enjoyed with a manual transmission). Right now, with VW slashing prices in the wake of Dieselgate, I'm looking HARD at a new GTI to replace the Rabbit, but the Rabbit is still running strong, it's paid for and I don't care if people ding it.

The F150 is also a vehicle that has no suitable electric substitute. A few weekends ago I had to get a ton (literally) of landscaping rocks for the yard and I'm pretty sure that even a Model X wouldn't handle that well (especially since a front loader can't drop a bucket into the hatch...). In addition to hauling heavy/bulky loads, the truck is my hunting vehicle. I go deep off road for big game and do a lot of muddy/ranch trails for duck and goose hunting. A 4wd truck with off road tires often has a tough time in those conditions and no electric that I know of has that kind of capability. Plus, my F150 has a 36 gallon fuel tank, so I can spend a week crawling up and down hills without having to think about fuel and still make it home with room to spare (I get a bit over 20 mpg on the freeway with the truck). There are no superchargers in the forests I hunt...

The P85D works nicely for commute duties, it's fun for blasting around empty rural roads and it's more than capable in the SF to Sacramento runs we have to make on a regular basis, the SF to Sea Ranch weekend trips and even the SF to LA work trips. Maybe one day electric vehicles will be able to do all the things I need and want from a vehicle, but I can't see that day coming anytime soon. Plus, for me, a 3.2 second 0-60 run is fun, but the opportunities to do that are rare. Ripping through the gears in a small hatchback with a manual transmission is something I enjoy doing every day as I run errands. The Tesla is sort of sterile in comparison. So I not only have not been ruined, I actually appreciate my ICE vehicles more after having owned first a P85 and now a P85D for the last few years.

... but still have a smart Roadster for fun. Its almost the opposite of the Tesla in almost every respect and remains fun to drive, I just almost never drive it.

I also still have a smart Roadster (Coupe) which I only bought 2 years ago. The Model S replaced my GLK which is now used by my wife. The GLK is replacing her Viano which is useless in our snowy winters. I got my S 70D 8 days ago and had to drive the smart today.
The 70D ruined it for me. Took it back home as soon as the Tesla was available again (the wife was driving it today), just so I could drive the Tesla. I wonder how soon I will sell the smart Roadster (as converting it to full electric is a bit too expensive right now).

Funny, I thought of this thread today. I drove our ICE minivan for the first time in a long time and I'd completely forgotten how to do it. I turned on the wipers while trying to put it in Park, then tried to hop out with the car still running, in Drive (fortunately I somehow managed to put the parking brake on), and lights still on.

ICE was probably ruined for me immediately after my first launch during my first test drive. But since my previous car was an 8-year-old Mazda station wagon that I knew was inferior to everything I had test-driven at the time, I don't think I fully realized it right away, despite being instantly obsessed with Tesla.

The point that I *realized* Tesla ruined all ICE for me was my *next* test drive at a Lexus dealer (IS350). It's a nice car overall, and one I had been thinking about upgrading to for a while, but I distinctly remember thinking at the time about how hot, smelly, hesitant, and underpowered it was compared to the Model S.

It took a while for me since 2 of my 3 ICE's needed some work so I had to focus on them for a while. But afterwards the transformation was complete in a day or two. We still have an ICE - a minivan, since we occasionally travel with a lot of cargo on routes devoid of superchargers . Plus, I'll be damned if I allow my garden-enthused wife to load manure, compost and/or mulch in the MS (and she also doesn't want to).