Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast did Model S ruin you for ICE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just brought my ICE to life after nearly 6 months of being parked. I had even forgotten to start it up every few weeks.

I'd like to say I'm totally done pouring dangerous flammable solvents down tubes, but then again I do enjoy a snifter of port around Christmas :)

But seriously, I'm really starting to wonder where the electric cargo van is... seems like a no-brainer to me, eg. for the Home Depot daily van rentals.

That's like asking if I ever wanted to go back to a tube TV after using an HD LED flatscreen TV.

I keep tubes around for retro gaming. Modern sets often have problems with older consoles, my HDTV won't even show a image from my Atari 2600 or Sega Nomad (hand held Genesis/Mega Drive). Other sets, like my sister's, treat the 240p signal as 480i which can cause flickering sprites to not show up at all, or to be displayed at half resolution with horizontal stripes.

Our 2015 P85D has replaced TWO ICE cars:

2006 Corvette Z06 (427 cubic inch / 505 hp / 198 mph / 3,130 lb.) supercar

2012 Toyota Prius Four with Solar Package mini SUV

... since it seats 5 and can hold everything our Prius did (including my XXL Santa Cruz Tallboy c 29" wheel mountain bike). Amazing that our Tesla gets 80+MPGe with no compromise in driving style / performance / comfort vs. 20 MPG for the Corvette and 50 MPG for the Prius (which is like driving a snail after driving a Tesla)

We actually replaced our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV with the Prius to save on the crazy expensive California oxygenated Premium GA$... but tired of its appearance, quirky electronics, and lobotomy required driving to achieve the 50 MPG. Hunted 18 months for our perfect match inventory discounted P85D and couldn't be happier.

Our 2015 P85D has replaced TWO ICE cars:

2006 Corvette Z06 (427 cubic inch / 505 hp / 198 mph / 3,130 lb.) supercar

2012 Toyota Prius Four with Solar Package mini SUV

... since it seats 5 and can hold everything our Prius did (including my XXL Santa Cruz Tallboy c 29" wheel mountain bike). Amazing that our Tesla gets 80+MPGe with no compromise in driving style / performance / comfort vs. 20 MPG for the Corvette and 50 MPG for the Prius (which is like driving a snail after driving a Tesla)

We actually replaced our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV with the Prius to save on the crazy expensive California oxygenated Premium GA$... but tired of its appearance, quirky electronics, and lobotomy required driving to achieve the 50 MPG. Hunted 18 months for our perfect match inventory discounted P85D and couldn't be happier.

++1

As quick as a supercar, storage/seating capacity of an SUV and more efficient than a Toyota Prius. Hard to beat that combination!

According to your screen name I would think the opposite. Care to elaborate?

well, the heater or lack there of. the 150 mile or less range in cold weather. constantly at superchargers if i travel anywhere. the supercharger closest to my house is garbage and never wants to work right. the fact that superchargers never perform at this magic 80 percent in 30 minutes BS they pedal because there are always other cars there that rob the amperage.

Okay I'm ruined. Took delivery of my Model S on 12/30, been very busy driving have 2,000 on her already. Did a road trip from home through MA and into CT earlier this week. Just dropped my one of daughter's ICE off for new tires (328 xi). I stopped for coffee and left the key in the car and and never locked it car. Only figured it out when I got back to the car. Almost overran a stop sign cause I was expecting the car to slow down when I took my foot off the accelerator. And don't get me started on the hesitation between pressing the accelerator and the car actually moving.

...I love this thing... How long did it take you to be completely ruined by this ride? (And if you still occasionally have to drive an ICE vehicle, what's been ruined for you?)

How fast is human reaction time? For me, it was about 15 milliseconds after I put toe to Tesla pedal that I knew I would one day own one.

My wife's car is also an EV, so I don't have to drive ICE cars at all any more. My problem is when I have to ride in someone else's ICE machine -- I find it almost impossible keep my mouth shut and not remind them when they take their foot off the "gas" pedal their car does not refuel itself. Or that they've got hundreds of hot moving parts rubbing against each other, wearing out, failing...

And a Lexus hybrid for $60K? What a joke. I was in one recently and the owner couldn't really tell me what the electric part did, but she thought it helped her mileage. I managed to not point out that it's just an ICE car with some electric boost that will help around town, but on a long trip does nothing.

Inability to suppress our smugness is a burden we Tesla owners have to bear.

My was ruined the first time I test drove a Model S in 2013... LOL

Now that I have one, it's been really ruined. I don't ever see myself buying an ICE ever again. Period. We have a Volt as the wife's car and I now want to get rid of it simply because it has a ICE that we rarely use, but still has one... LOL

Jeff

When I clicked on the "Order" button 2 months ago. I drove my previous car for 12 years because nothing was exciting me enough to buy new until the Model S. Most likely my next car will be the Model 3 since I really don't need a sedan and didn't want to wait more years for the Model 3. Can't wait to see the 3 reveal in March.

Actually what really did it for me was in late 2012 when Elon did the Supercharger unveiling. I watched that event streaming live and it was the final straw. I knew I was gonna dump the ICE and get a Model S. I waited until mid-2013 to place the order so that Tesla could work out bugs and flaws in the first umpteen-thousand VINs. Also, wanted to make sure the stock took off. But then all those things happened, and my wife and I did a test drive, taking turns, in like April of 2013. My wife had never, ever, in all the years we've bought cars, liked anything I test drove. She put her foot to the pedal of the Model S, and was like, "Hmm, this isn't bad." So I didn't even have to do the test drive -- just seeing that my wife liked the car when she was only 30 seconds into a test drive, I knew it we were getting one at that moment, and I was ICE-free. ICE-free and never turning back.

I took my E39 M5 out of winter storage over the week end. When I ordered my 85D I really thought there would be times I'd rather drive the M5 but I was wrong. Time to teach some family members how to use a clutch. I actually think this has spurred me to put down a deposit on an Model 3 and sell the M5.

I took my E39 M5 out of winter storage over the week end. When I ordered my 85D I really thought there would be times I'd rather drive the M5 but I was wrong. Time to teach some family members how to use a clutch. I actually think this has spurred me to put down a deposit on an Model 3 and sell the M5.

Funny.. I drive my E39 M5 regularly and still enjoy every minute of it! Both cars are beasts and a privilege to drive.

Totally off ICE! The BMW 3 and the BMW X6 are 39,000 miles in the past! Don't miss them! Wait, yes I miss them a lot! No gas stations, oil changes, money draining out of my wallet faster than I could replace it!:cool:

You mean all those free oil changes and free service that was included with the BMWs? Or are you speaking about all the money draining out of your wallet with the $600 Tesla services?

I had to drive my ICE for the first time in about 6 months (husband stole his S from me) on my 180 mile commute RI to JFK in that damnable CT traffic. It was hell.

I'm going to start laying the groundwork for a CPO S now to tie me over to my new Model 3. ;) I hate everything about driving my car. It's old. It's slow. It sounds positively wretched trying to accelerate merging onto a highway. It pollutes. I have to actually drive it in bumper to bumper. Ha.

As I left the gas pump in Darien I had to drive past a supercharging Tesla. I wanted to cry. :p

I'm driving my wife's car today, and 3 times I get out of the car, 3 times I forget to push the button to turn off the car :/

[not ICE specific, but...] Several times I try to press the brake pedal harder to engage hill hold.... she doesn't have hill hold.

Reactions: forumman83