Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good is tesla trade in value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trading a corvette c6 with 57000 miles. KBB shows a trade in value $19455, private party $20215, purchase price $22k-25k. I saw local craigslist ads are all above 240k at similar condition.

I am fine if I can get about 20k. If the trade in offer tesla give is like $17k, I certainly want to sell on craigslist for possible 22k. I just got vin number assigned this week, emailed DS twice, no reply. Don't want to wait last minutes for their possible low ball offer and then start to look for buyer which might take a few weeks.

My question is any of have you traded your car to tesla? what was the amount tesla offered compare to kbb value at the time?

Thanks a lot

Most of the time you get better money selling the car as a private party than you do trading it in. The dealer (or in this case Tesla) has to put some effort into selling the car on in some way and they are giving you the wholesale price they can get at auction minus some cost for their time and trouble.

For franchise dealers, they might give a bit better trade in offer if they plan to sell that car themselves on their used lot, but Tesla is probably going to low ball an ICE trade in because they won't be reselling it themselves.

I sold my 08 corvette for my Tesla last year. Tesla was one of the lowest offers I received. I ended up using the True Car app which gets multiple offers from dealerships. I found that to the next best to trying to sell it myself thru craigslist. Also was less hassle than having strangers come to my house to drive the car and negotiate.

Oh Tesla trade-in offers are terrible. They are not really in the business of selling used cars so it's purely an expense for them. You ll probably get more by selling to a GM dealership. If private party KBB is 20k, I would expect a 12-14k offer from Tesla.

I wanted to trade in my BMW 5 series and as others stated, tesla really does lowball (well not tesla but the auctions they hire) they wanted to give me like 15k for a car with only 56k miles on it and pretty much every upgrade on it. I told them to beat it with that offer and put it on the classifieds for 25k and someone bought it the next day for 24k. KBB was about 26k retail so I was very happy with the sale. dont trade in to tesla unless you really dont want to hassle, you will be much better off 100% of the time IMO if you just sell on your own.

Reactions: msnow