Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How has the Model S held up after 3+ years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming up on 3 years on one of out cars, pretty much same squeeks and rattles as new, so I guess it holds up well, no new ones ;) It's not too bad by the way, I learned to live with it so I won't complain here. To be honest, my car is quieter than most loaners I've driven. My wife's S is even quieter, but it's a 2017 vs. mine 2015, and hers came quieter from the get-go (I think it has some better sound insulation).

Reactions: DMack
Coming up on 3 years on mine too. Had it serviced twice: First time for a couple depressed sensors in the back (Either they came loose or someone pushed them in intentionally. We couldn't tell). Another for replacing a defective windshield (bubbles insides the glass).
Also had a tire replaced because of a nail a year ago. The tire sensors seem to have been erratic in cooler temperature (<50F) ever since.

Other than that. Physically and mechanically, it behaves pretty much the same as when I got it in 2015.
Software wise, the media player is still as sucky as the first day I got it.

I found that very hard to believe. Not sure if you're talking about no issues in general or just no creaks and/or rattles. No creaks or rattles is plausible...

You've posted some issues w/your vehicle such as these:
Has the way you feel about Tesla changed the way you speak about Tesla to others?
Road Trip from DFW to Lincoln, NE
Worn tire replacement question
No GPS After LTE Upgrade (And Other Work On Car)
12v battery needs replacing after 7000 miles/9 months
Consumer Reports reliability of Model S - worse than average

Also, not sure which the OP is asking about.

Let's take them one by one:

Has the way you feel about Tesla changed the way you speak about Tesla to others?

I'm not including firmware issues (like audio and such) because I was referring to hardware breakdown issues. Sorry about not making that clear.

Road Trip from DFW to Lincoln, NE

These two talk about the same issues, which were the wing window noise and the on-board charger. Both were infant mortality and haven't been an issue since. And Tesla flew a Ranger out to fix the charger so I never lost any driving time, other than the couple of hours the Range spent fixing the onboard charger. I give them a pass on that.

Worn tire replacement question

It did take Tesla a year or so to get the alignment right, but it hasn't been a problem since.

[URL='https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/no-gps-after-lte-upgrade-and-other-work-on-car.54374/#post-1167625']No GPS After LTE Upgrade (And Other Work On Car) [/URL]

This took them one extra day to get LTE and GPS working while doing the install. So it's not an issue per-se because it happened while servicing, and not while I had possession of the car.

No GPS After LTE Upgrade (And Other Work On Car)

During the first year or so two 12V batteries were replaced, none since, although any replacement now will be a regular maintenance item, not an issue.

Consumer Reports reliability of Model S - worse than average

This mostly just repeats what was said before.
The seat replacement was mainly because I had shown my car every week, sometimes twice a week and had many hundreds of people sit in it (some really didn't fit). I don't consider this an issue as the car wasn't designed for that.

Proactive replacements are not an issue (door handles and such).

The one UMC replacement isn't an issue with the car.

Now a car with issues is the VW TDI. The most disappointing car I've ever had.
- Had to be towed three times because of the 12V battery (none under warranty).
- Engine blew at 80K miles
- Door trim melted off during the summer
- Hatch rubber came off
- Side windows fell off (both of them)
- Under engine pan fell off (most likely the dealer's fault)
- Headlights lasted a maximum of three months (some only lasted one day). To replace the headlights, the front quarter panel has to come off.
- There were other issues too.

The Prius had issues too.
- It would sometimes lose power while driving (eventually fixed in a firmware upgrade)
- Bad alignment on delivery
- 12 V battery would die with no warning
- Gas tank required replacing
- Some steering wheel buttons stopped working at 150K miles

Land Rover.
- Odometer broke at about 70K miles
- Door latches weren't all that secure
- Heater fan would stop in a strong side wind
- Stiff clutch caused a repetitive stress injury
(Note the last three items are inherent to the vehicle and not fixable)

And even the mighty DS-21 had issues (It probably had some infant issues, but I didn't buy it new):
- Transmission rebuild (about 170K miles)
- Alternator replacement (about 150K miles)
- Spheres needed replacing (about 100K miles)

To summarize:
- The firmware is something that Tesla could fix if they've a mind to, but it's not inherent to the car.
- None of the mechanical issues, other than the alignment, remained an issue longer than it took to fix. The alignment was eventually fixed, which really had more to do with Tesla Service (and Hunter) than it did with the Model S and how it was built or designed.
- None of the mechanical issues caused loss of use, though the charger could have had I been unlucky.

To categorize:
After delivery adjustments:
- wing window

Infant mortality:
- onboard charger
- 12 battery

Service issues:
- alignment

User issues:
- seat

So basically the Model S has been as trouble-free as any car I've owned, so when I say no issues, I really mean no issues inherent to the car that caused a loss of use or that remained an issue.

After more than 5 years and 88k miles, our 2012 was very smooth and quiet, seemed like new.

My 2015 S is not quite 3 years with 36k miles. It has a couple of squeaks, but they are just occasional.

After 7 years my Roadster made a lot of noise, but then again it did that when new too.
I was about to post to say almost exactly the same thing...

2013 S85 and 2015 S70D--both tight and quiet with no rattles. Some leather squeaks/rubbing on driver's seat of 2015 S. After first 2 years on the 2013 with many small items to fix/retrofit (plus one drive unit for milling sounds), it has been rock solid. 2015 has been basically trouble free-1 replacement door handle.

Now a car with issues is the VW TDI. The most disappointing car I've ever had.
No surprise. VW is known for subpar reliability.
The Prius had issues too.
- It would sometimes lose power while driving (eventually fixed in a firmware upgrade)
- Bad alignment on delivery
- 12 V battery would die with no warning
- Gas tank required replacing
- Some steering wheel buttons stopped working at 150K miles
Regarding the 12 volt, well, yeah, Prius has no starter motor. There are no symptoms of a weak 12 volt that traditional ICEVs would have like starter slow to crank, starter can't turn over engine, etc. Weird stuff starts happening on the Prius w/a weak 12 volt, including not being able to reliably go to READY mode.

The ICE isn't started the 12 volt but rather the large HV battery and one of the motor/generators inside the power split device (transaxle).
Land Rover.
Known for awful reliability.

And even the mighty DS-21 had issues (It probably had some infant issues, but I didn't buy it new):
- Transmission rebuild (about 170K miles)
- Alternator replacement (about 150K miles)
- Spheres needed replacing (about 100K miles)
Don't know what a "DS-21" is.

2014 S85. Love the car but have had the following issues requiring time at the dealer over the past 3.5 years:

1) Trunk alignment visibly off center requiring time at a body shop.
2) All 4 door handles failed to open requiring replacement (needing 3 separate visits).
3) Battery pack failure making the car undrivable. They gave me a battery loaner for the 7 months it took to send to California and repair it.
4) Dead MCU (large control screen).
5) Loud whirring noise from the drive unit (main motor) - replaced.

I have a 5 year lease and am VERY worried about what will break that 5th year.

Jeff

To be clear, the car has had many of the same problems as others on this forum, i.e. door handles, drive unit, battery, lower control arms, MCU, etc. but Tesla took care of those without issue under warranty. Yes, I’ve been to the Service Center more with it than the Hondas and Toyotas I used to drive, but I’ll never go back. Tesla has made driving fun again.​
This is what I'm not able to wrap my head around. I have had problems with my car and because it has been in the shop so much I don't find it fun to drive because I'm worried about what the next failure is and I have never been someone that is satisfied with mediocre quality and reliability. With your drive unit failing, which is just like the transmission in an ICE, as well as the MCU how can you say it has made driving fun again? Doesn't it annoy you to have it down so much and to have so many things go wrong, especially MAJOR things? My wife's Honda Odyssey that is 11 years old and has 110,000 miles on it has the original power sliding door and liftgate and they have not had one problem. They still function just like when we got it. Shouldn't we expect the same thing from a vehicle that is supposed to be more technologically advanced and so much more expensive?

Regarding the 12 volt, well, yeah, Prius has no starter motor. There are no symptoms of a weak 12 volt that traditional ICEVs would have like starter slow to crank, starter can't turn over engine, etc. Weird stuff starts happening on the Prius w/a weak 12 volt, including not being able to reliably go to READY mode.

I know that the HV battery starts the Prius engine, however, the Tesla gives a clear warning that the 12V battery is low so there is plenty of time to change it without having to guess what is happening, the Prius doesn't, so it's a matter of luck whether you are stranded or not in the Prius.

Comming up on 3 years with my 2015 P85DL. The drivers seat has a creak that shows up when you shift weight or over uneven roads and I also get a little wind noise around one of the window seals but that may be unavoidable with as quiet as the car is normally. If the radio is on that gets drowned out. The car otherwise has been remarkably free of defects ( replaced the main fuse, loose center armrest, one interior light loose connection were the only service calls in three years). I have been happy so far. The wife’s Range Rover has been in many more times ( as well as going in next week for a failed back up camera again)

I know that the HV battery starts the Prius engine, however, the Tesla gives a clear warning that the 12V battery is low so there is plenty of time to change it without having to guess what is happening, the Prius doesn't, so it's a matter of luck whether you are stranded or not in the Prius.
Yes it gives you a warning but it may be too late. When I had the electrical issues last weekend I started researching the warning. I found an article written by an Edmunds Editor and he had borrowed a Model S from Tesla to do a review. While he was with his son getting on an LA Cali freewaythe car threw up multiple warnings and then suddenly died on the on ramp and he couldn’t get it to go into neutral to move it off the on ramp because it was dead in the water with no power and he didn’t know that it would freewheel if he put it in tow mode though I’m sure the steering without any electrical would be an absolute bear to try and move.

Over the years I have owned three Model S's and between my wife and I have over ~100K++ behind the wheel of our Model S's. I have only paid for tires, and one 12 volt battery that I chose to upgrade over the stock one that failed at ~56,000 miles. Additionally I bought a door handle microswitch harness $35 and a paddle gear for $1, outside of warranty to fix a door handle that only needed to be re-soldered @ ~65,000 miles.

I have also done a a lot of upgrades that I wish Tesla would just add, but I don't ever plan on buying any other brand again. These cars are the most bad assed daily drivers I have ever driven.

Historically I am a Euro and Japanese car guy; VW - never buy one of these and definitely don't own it outside of warranty I owned a couple of TDI's every trip to the dealer was a $2500 proposition almost quarterly - everything on these cars failed, Toyota - FJ love it, Toyota Sienna Limited - Good, Honda - minivan - boring good, Mazda - Miata X2 and Protege - love the Miata, Acura Integra - rock solid) and have only owned one domestic car ever - a Ford Fusion Hybrid, which we have done way more work on in 60,000 miles than all three of my Teslas combined. (Brakes, Oil changes, 3 12 volt batteries (damn thing has lawnmower battery in it), numerous fit and finish issues, defective head light that melted, traction battery failed under warranty, etc...) Assembled in Mexico and I'm not even sure it counts as a domestic car, I would give it average reliability, The absolute dog of the bunch were the TDI's, the monies saved on fuel was expended in frustration with the dealer visits and the shetz quality of VW. Never again.

Technically Tesla converted me to domestic cars and is my first American manufactured car ever, once they get 3 production sorted out the Ford is outta here. Also we already have the custom tag - NICE E is on the Ford today, my daughter picked this almost a year ago begging me to get a Model 3

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
a few month away from 3 years on the 70D and 44k miles now. Not sure what I will do as I get closer to 50k and the end of the standard warranty. Love driving the car but it has had more issues than all of the prior cars I owned, combined and multiplied. The P90 had so many issues Tesla bought it back after 27k miles. I can configure the M3 but I am not sure I want a smaller car.

• Informative
Reactions: Hornedfrog1
Over the years I have owned three Model S's and between my wife and I have over ~100K++ behind the wheel of our Model S's. I have only paid for tires, and one 12 volt battery that I chose to upgrade over the stock one that failed at ~56,000 miles. Additionally I bought a door handle microswitch harness $35 and a paddle gear for $1, outside of warranty to fix a door handle that only needed to be re-soldered @ ~65,000 miles.

I have also done a a lot of upgrades that I wish Tesla would just add, but I don't ever plan on buying any other brand again. These cars are the most bad assed daily drivers I have ever driven.

Historically I am a Euro and Japanese car guy; VW - never buy one of these and definitely don't own it outside of warranty I owned a couple of TDI's every trip to the dealer was a $2500 proposition almost quarterly - everything on these cars failed, Toyota - FJ love it, Toyota Sienna Limited - Good, Honda - minivan - boring good, Mazda - Miata X2 and Protege - love the Miata, Acura Integra - rock solid) and have only owned one domestic car ever - a Ford Fusion Hybrid, which we have done way more work on in 60,000 miles than all three of my Teslas combined. (Brakes, Oil changes, 3 12 volt batteries (damn thing has lawnmower battery in it), numerous fit and finish issues, defective head light that melted, traction battery failed under warranty, etc...) Assembled in Mexico and I'm not even sure it counts as a domestic car, I would give it average reliability, The absolute dog of the bunch were the TDI's, the monies saved on fuel was expended in frustration with the dealer visits and the shetz quality of VW. Never again.

Technically Tesla converted me to domestic cars and is my first American manufactured car ever, once they get 3 production sorted out the Ford is outta here. Also we already have the custom tag - NICE E is on the Ford today, my daughter picked this almost a year ago begging me to get a Model 3

I also own a Toyota FJ, and I’ve never loved a car the way I love that thing :)
Someone rear ended me going ~30mph while I was stopped the other day.
Her car is totaled, and the FJ only needs three cosmetic parts totaling $1300.

It’ll be a great compliment to my Model S.

Last edited:
My 2015 S85D will be 3 years and 60,000 miles next month.
No squeaks or rattles... ever.
A few trips for service for water in tail light, air suspension (fixed with software update), adjustment of charge port door.
No problems with door handles.

Now... If you want to talk about rattles, squeaks, etc.... I'll give you my Land Rover. It has lots of them. (However, I must say that at 188,000 miles they might be expected.)

Reactions: Hornedfrog1
Just got back from an annual Airsoft trip to Ballahack, we took the FJ and I was reminded why I keep it! Got thumbs up from many folks on the road who saw it, and was mobbed by the different airsoft teams who wanted to check it out at Ballahack. I have completely customized it to my needs and it really is one great machine.

Funny thing I noticed is I only get about 230 miles of range from a 19 gallon tank (heavily overloaded, driving ~80 MPH, with a rooftop tent, a foxing awning, exterior mounted jerry cans, a highlift jack, shovels, axe, 33" and 33" exterior mounted spare, supercharged etc..)

Hopefully when I blow the gas engine I can drop a diesel in this to squeeze a few more miles out of it, or in ten years Tesla might make something equally as capable. Would love to have the D4D Hilux engine in this setup and go from 12 MPG to 24 MPG.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMack
I got my car new on March 7, 2014 and recently had the drive unit replaced, plus also had more minor issues fixed along the way, but overall it's been a rock solid car. I'm really looking forward to adding a Model 3 and getting the new goodies that come with it, especially in relation to the latest AP, but I don't think there will be ever a day that I don't look forward to getting into my large frunk, 80 amp, 85 non-silicon battery, Classic. Even though its value has dropped like a rock there's never a day I regret buying it.

Reactions: jschwefel
This is what I'm not able to wrap my head around. I have had problems with my car and because it has been in the shop so much I don't find it fun to drive because I'm worried about what the next failure is and I have never been someone that is satisfied with mediocre quality and reliability. With your drive unit failing, which is just like the transmission in an ICE, as well as the MCU how can you say it has made driving fun again? Doesn't it annoy you to have it down so much and to have so many things go wrong, especially MAJOR things? My wife's Honda Odyssey that is 11 years old and has 110,000 miles on it has the original power sliding door and liftgate and they have not had one problem. They still function just like when we got it. Shouldn't we expect the same thing from a vehicle that is supposed to be more technologically advanced and so much more expensive?
I’ve never really compared the Model S to a Honda minivan, but relative to ICE cars in general, Tesla is simply doing things the encumbants aren’t. Perhaps I’m a bit more tolerant of their issues because of that. Despite the issues I’ve had, which are widely known thanks to the internet, the car has never left me stranded. The drive unit might sound major, but it doesn’t take long to replace. It’s plug and play, nothing like changing an engine or transmission. The MCU was actually working fine, but developed a few small bubbles that became more noticeable when Tesla pushed a version of software and allowed the maps to go full screen. Yes, Tesla is not perfect; they are still figuring things out, and many people don’t have the patience to tolerate these bumps along the road. I get that, and that’s fine. For me, going electric has been an awesome experience, and I’m excited for more long range vehicle options to come to market. In this scenario, everyone wins.