Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How important is it for you that the 2nd row seats of the Model X are stowable?

What do you need to not cancel your Model X reservation?

• I require that everything behind the front row forms a flat cargo bay through stowable 2nd row seats

Votes: 58 31.9%
  • I require that the 2nd row seats stow in some manner, but I do not require a flat cargo bay.

Votes: 48 26.4%
  • It is not a deal-breaker for me if the 2nd row seats do not stow, but I would prefer them to do so.

Votes: 55 30.2%
  • I do not care either way.

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would much prefer that the second row folds to make a flat surface. Since we have no other details other than 'they don't fold flat' from several sources I am hoping TM came up with a creative way to move them forward/have the base drop down under the front row in some unique way to allow for more space than all of us currently have with our model Ss which give a great deal of space when the seats are folded.
While there is enough pent up demand for the X that TM will be supply constrained on them through at least 2016 I do feel at one point if the 'utility' space that was once suggested to be there when the prototype was revealed proves to be compromised because of other design features (ex: Falcon doors) or a conscious choice by TM engineers it will cause some cancellations of current reservations.
This may hurt the price of TSLA in the short run but have little affect on the ultimate goal of the model3/TM mission statement.

Deal breaker for me if rear seats won't fold or stow. I don't have that many kids to transport any more, but I do need four of us to travel with lots of luggage and equipment.

Seats need to go flat or go out... otherwise you have a mini-van, not an SUV.

Can you define "stow" ? Does pushing a non-folding seat forward so the front edge of the second row seat touches the back of the driver's seat count as stowing them (since they're being pushed out of the way)? What if they move forward and pivot slightly to gain a few more inches? GM cars flip up the seat bottoms against the back of the driver's seat (meaning ~6 to 8 inches is lost), then the backs fold forward to them, creating a cargo floor - but is that "stowing" them, or just folding them? Or must they be like the Dodge, where they completely stow and all space formerly occupied by the second row is now available for cargo?

(The latter is what I think of, credit whomever named "stow and go".)

My wife and I were discussing this last night and if the second row seats don't store, we won't be buying a Model X. We've been looking forward to getting an electric vehicle for so long now and to find out that something as seemingly obvious as "the seats need to fold down" is going to scuttle the plans just leaves me feeling disappointed and upset.

Can you define "stow" ? Does pushing a non-folding seat forward so the front edge of the second row seat touches the back of the driver's seat count as stowing them (since they're being pushed out of the way)? What if they move forward and pivot slightly to gain a few more inches? GM cars flip up the seat bottoms against the back of the driver's seat (meaning ~6 to 8 inches is lost), then the backs fold forward to them, creating a cargo floor - but is that "stowing" them, or just folding them? Or must they be like the Dodge, where they completely stow and all space formerly occupied by the second row is now available for cargo?

(The latter is what I think of, credit whomever named "stow and go".)
I meant any method of stowing that doesn't create a flat floor, including but not limited to, removing, folding, rotating, tilting and splitting the 2nd row. There are just so many possible solutions that I have no way of describing all the possibilites, especially as I was limited to 100 characters per option.

This sort of poll will never be 100% accurate. But it's an indicator.

I meant any method of stowing that doesn't create a flat floor, including but not limited to, removing, folding, rotating, tilting and splitting the 2nd row. There are just so many possible solutions that I have no way of describing all the possibilities, especially as I was limited to 100 characters per option.

I find that 72% of these polls provide useless statistics. :wink:

I meant any method of stowing that doesn't create a flat floor, including but not limited to, removing, folding, rotating, tilting and splitting the 2nd row. There are just so many possible solutions that I have no way of describing all the possibilites, especially as I was limited to 100 characters per option.

I think it's a useful poll and the results so far are not surprising; it can be largely boiled down to "do you want the U to stand for 'utility' in SUV/COV etc."? The other point is that the X must offer more utility (i.e. greater options and space) than the S, otherwise demand is largely going to be limited to those who need an electric people mover or towing (within limits).

If they don't fold flat I would be able to get more stuff in my old VW Polo than the $80k+ X. Oh and I was able to fold the passenger seat down as well so could put 2x4s in. Tesla missed the boat on that one.

by "stowable" are you including removing? I still think that's a likely possibility. The trade off between comfort and folding has already been solved via removable seats by a lot of minivan manufacturers. The X is waving back and forth between a minivan replacement and a 3 row SUV. I realize most SUVs ditched removing the seats a long time ago but minivans still do it. I think the most likely is that the signatures have upgraded second row seats that don't fold but might remove, and the regular production line will have fold-flat second row seats or optional upgraded removable.

by "stowable" are you including removing? I still think that's a likely possibility. The trade off between comfort and folding has already been solved via removable seats by a lot of minivan manufacturers. The X is waving back and forth between a minivan replacement and a 3 row SUV. I realize most SUVs ditched removing the seats a long time ago but minivans still do it. I think the most likely is that the signatures have upgraded second row seats that don't fold but might remove, and the regular production line will have fold-flat second row seats or optional upgraded removable.

I don't believe that any seats in the Model-X will be removable. The current seats have power (for heating, cooling? ventilation?) and would require some kind of disconnect. Furthermore, I believe I heard Elon say that the seats would not be removable in his question/answer period in Norway.