Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is passing performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ability to pass other cars from any speed (or from a standing stop at a traffic light) is awe inspiring. (Impressive doesn’t begin to describe it).
I wouldn’t say that as it’s very dependent on several factors with Trim level, SoC, Temp, and current speed/target speed being most pertinent.

P3D with SoC over 70% and 70F?
30-60: Very Fast.
50-80: Fast
70-100: Quick
90-120: Average
110-140: I’ve seen eggs boil quicker (compared with vehicles in the same HP range)

I just posted a video of my car racing a stage 2 tuned bolt on 335 on my insta page. @ teslavseverything Check the story. Instagram

For those of you without insta It wasnt much of a race. The car makes about 400 whp from the 20 roll it was 5 cars immediately and from 60 roll it was about mph it was 3-4 cars immediately and a few cars pull after that to 118.

Those cars are definitely not in the same class. The 335 just got slaughtered

Those cars are definitely not in the same class. The 335 just got slaughtered

It makes about 400whp. I figured a 60 roll would be a even match based on m3p dyno's. It comes to show power isnt everything when you have the power instantly. I always tried to go when I heard his engine get going instead of going on the beep which I typically would not do.

I just posted a video of my car racing a stage 2 tuned bolt on 335 on my insta page. @ teslavseverything Check the story. Instagram

For those of you without insta It wasnt much of a race. The car makes about 400 whp from the 20 roll it was 5 cars immediately and from 60 roll it was about mph it was 3-4 cars immediately and a few cars pull after that to 118.

Post it somewhere else...I want to see and don’t have insta :(.

Can't find the video...

My "butt dino" tells me the Perf Model 3 I test drove was faster to 60 than my BMW M4 by a lot, but a little slower in that 60-90 realm. It did seem "fast enough". Quarter mile times seem to bear that out: the BMW M4 generally ends up with a higher trap speed but a slower quarter mile time.

I traded in a BMW M2 for a Model 3 Performance. The Model 3 is obviously much faster in a straight line. The main thing I have to watch out for when passing other cars is not to exceed 100 mph, which is really easy to do (and the car is so quiet that it's easy to fail to notice how fast you're going). That said, I do miss the handling of the M2, which was precise to the point that you had to be wide awake at all times, because even small movements of the steering wheel would make the car DO SOMETHING. The Model 3's handling is not bad, just not as stellar as the M2's. Around a track, I would probably feel more confident pushing the limits in an M2, though with some suspension upgrades, I'm sure the Model 3 would be great. The steering does feel a bit numb to me, but again, I'm coming from a car that handles better than 99% of the cars out there. I'm getting used to it (only had the Tesla for a few weeks).

My "butt dino" tells me the Perf Model 3 I test drove was faster to 60 than my BMW M4 by a lot, but a little slower in that 60-90 realm. It did seem "fast enough". Quarter mile times seem to bear that out: the BMW M4 generally ends up with a higher trap speed but a slower quarter mile time.
I think it would pull on the M3 from 60 to 90. After that though the M3 will reel it in and pass it. Of course the M3 is old. The new one should be faster than the Performance.

And it’s been out for two years. Brand new tech vs. cars that have been refined over decades, getting destroyed.

But raw speed isn’t the entire story, as I’m learning. The TM3 is just so good at what it does, I do miss a car that kicks me in the sack every now and again.

I wouldn’t say that as it’s very dependent on several factors with Trim level, SoC, Temp, and current speed/target speed being most pertinent.

P3D with SoC over 70% and 70F?
30-60: Very Fast.
50-80: Fast
70-100: Quick
90-120: Average
110-140: I’ve seen eggs boil quicker (compared with vehicles in the same HP range)

I think you're missing the forest for the trees here. This is passing performance. In the U.S., not a lot of passing happens beyond 80mph.