Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your exterior protected?

How is your exterior protected?

• Full Xpel (or comparable)

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Full Xpel + Opticoat

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Partial Xpel

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Partial Xpel + Opticoat

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Opticoat

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Naked, just how I like it

Votes: 36 34.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great poll. Amazing how far clear bra technology has come in the past few years. I never liked the stuff but we still applied it to client cars because it provided the added protection against rock chips. Now, I'm so happy to be applying XPEL and Suntek as the durability, clarity, and warranty has made it a no-brainer.

Moe, I know you spend a lot of time doing a great job wrapping and coating cars. What is your opinion on partially wrapping (e.g., everything BUT doors, rear quarter panels, and trunk lid) - and opticoating (or some equivalent) the areas not covered by Xpel? Are you often all or nothing, do you think such partial wraps are useful, and/or do you find people coming back to have those doors done at a later time regretting not doing them in the first place?

Moe, I know you spend a lot of time doing a great job wrapping and coating cars. What is your opinion on partially wrapping (e.g., everything BUT doors, rear quarter panels, and trunk lid) - and opticoating (or some equivalent) the areas not covered by Xpel? Are you often all or nothing, do you think such partial wraps are useful, and/or do you find people coming back to have those doors done at a later time regretting not doing them in the first place?

Excellent question. Teslas are very unique with their paint. We're also seeing the same thing with Porsche. Most our business has been Porsche for decades, and now we're into Teslas. So, for some reason, both these makes have very soft paint and it's only in the past few years.

So, knowing that, and also knowing that XPEL Ultimate and Suntek Topcoat are so clear, I think you should wrap the most important areas and just do a proper care for the areas not wrapped. So for us, our typical install is full hood, full fenders, bumper, mirrors, and headlights. I'm not a huge fan of partial installs because in a short period of time, maybe a year or two, you'll be replacing the film because the edges will be exposed to being rubbed by towels, getting wax buildup, etc. So, spending a bit more and getting wrapped edges is truly worth it because it'll be a semi-permanent install.

As for coatings, yes. Apply it to wherever you don't have film. Your paint needs all the help it can get. We're currently using nano technology because I feel they provide better protection and the durability is better than non-nano products.

I don't want to have a client feel he/she has to wrap the entire car to be safe. It's nice to not have to worry about chips, swirls, improper washing, if the entire car is wrapped, but it's not mandatory. Just the front end which gets the brunt of the impact and coat the rest. The most important task though is doing a proper wash routine. Using all-natural lambswool mitts, rinsing mitt and areas washed routinely, all help. Drying with high quality microfiber towels is a huge plus too.

I guess ideally we would devise a poll that not only indicated what people had done, but whether or not they were happy with it. I guess the poll might be for each choice to only vote if you were happy with your choice. On that subject, I'm wondering of the many people who have done Xpel, does anyone wish that they hadn't? (I've booked an appointment to do an Xpel wrap when my car arrives).

This poll is missing several things.

You've left out nano coatings such as Gtechniq, 22PLE, CQuartz, etc. as well as hybrid sealants, sealants and waxes.

Gtechniq C1+EXOv2, G1, C4, C5
Maintained with either Carpro Reload or Gtenchiq C1.5

Exactly!!!

At least have "Other" and that pick would probably be the largest vote result.

As it is, this a narrow sighted / biased poll.

Exactly!!!

Not sure this is fair, the OP has already apologized for making this too narrow. Speaking for myself I've been tempted to create polls like this (I nearly did one for tires) as I try to summarize from reading hundreds of pages of dialog, what is the best solution. Like the OP, I got the impression that many people were using Xpel so that went on my list. I didn't manage to deduce many of the other options that have been listed here, though opticoat came up a lot. The problem for a newb like me is that I don't necessarily know what I don't know. That may be true for the OP too. Either way please cut some slack - I don't think the OP was trying to be biased though reading the many posts one does tend to acquire a bias after a while.

I guess ideally we would devise a poll that not only indicated what people had done, but whether or not they were happy with it. I guess the poll might be for each choice to only vote if you were happy with your choice. On that subject, I'm wondering of the many people who have done Xpel, does anyone wish that they hadn't? (I've booked an appointment to do an Xpel wrap when my car arrives).

I got a complete wrap (every painted area plus the area between the windshield and the pano roof) using Suntek. It will be one year in March, and it's saved the paint several times--including the time when road debris was thrown on the hood from a car coming in the opposite direction. Well worth it in my opinion.

... Either way please cut some slack - I don't think the OP was trying to be biased though reading the many posts one does tend to acquire a bias after a while.

Noted, and likely true. "don't necessarily know what you don't know." Thx.

Just so many products on the market, many of them good, many are crap. Some are over-hyped, some are the unsung best solutions. Hate to see threads start, or perpetuate, false product superiority... and others without reference then take this as some reference of gospel.

Ultimately, my extensive research in this area shows, *no one/company* has done definitive multi-year testing on these products to make any claim of protection superiority. Even claims of lifetime vs. two year protection claims are untested in reality. In the end, (many have said this already) with car care products, it comes down to personal preferences, proven in personal experiences. And there's 100s of products out there.

Thankfully, this is a very analytical crowd that likes to give proper discussion (and testing) to all view points, or in this case, products.

Just so many products on the market, many of them good, many are crap. Some are over-hyped, some are the unsung best solutions. Hate to see threads start, or perpetuate, false product superiority... and others without reference then take this as some reference of gospel.

Ultimately, my extensive research in this area shows, *no one/company* has done definitive multi-year testing on these products to make any claim of protection superiority. Even claims of lifetime vs. two year protection claims are untested in reality. In the end, (many have said this already) with car care products, it comes down to personal preferences, proven in personal experiences. And there's 100s of products out there.

Thankfully, this is a very analytical crowd that likes to give proper discussion (and testing) to all view points, or in this case, products.

Thanks, great points. I think that ultimately this poll has helped to tease out many of the products that have otherwise tended to get overlooked.

Excellent question. Teslas are very unique with their paint. We're also seeing the same thing with Porsche. Most our business has been Porsche for decades, and now we're into Teslas. So, for some reason, both these makes have very soft paint and it's only in the past few years.

So, knowing that, and also knowing that XPEL Ultimate and Suntek Topcoat are so clear, I think you should wrap the most important areas and just do a proper care for the areas not wrapped. So for us, our typical install is full hood, full fenders, bumper, mirrors, and headlights. I'm not a huge fan of partial installs because in a short period of time, maybe a year or two, you'll be replacing the film because the edges will be exposed to being rubbed by towels, getting wax buildup, etc. So, spending a bit more and getting wrapped edges is truly worth it because it'll be a semi-permanent install.

As for coatings, yes. Apply it to wherever you don't have film. Your paint needs all the help it can get. We're currently using nano technology because I feel they provide better protection and the durability is better than non-nano products.

I don't want to have a client feel he/she has to wrap the entire car to be safe. It's nice to not have to worry about chips, swirls, improper washing, if the entire car is wrapped, but it's not mandatory. Just the front end which gets the brunt of the impact and coat the rest. The most important task though is doing a proper wash routine. Using all-natural lambswool mitts, rinsing mitt and areas washed routinely, all help. Drying with high quality microfiber towels is a huge plus too.

Thanks for the thorough response, Moe! You always give great feedback. You seem to be the king of SoCal when it comes to these installs. I understand that Xpel is really meant to help those head on impacts with road debris, and a few other areas on the car where you're going to have periodic brush ins with (e.g., rear bumper and low side skirts). One thing I noticed on family cars in the past (Mercedes) is that we ended up with a lot of scratches on the doors. These might have been from shopping carts, or women carrying purses that walk by and some metal on that purse leaves a light scratch in the door. I was wondering if people Xpel doors for those reasons. How well does Opticoat protect against these kinds of issues? As i understand it, Opticoat and/or other coatings (e.g., Suntek) should still be cared for just like your normal paint, i.e., with good washing techniques to avoid scratches, etc.

Last, can you suggest a specific washing mitt that you use?

Thanks for being very response. This is the first car I'm considering protecting beyond what comes out of the factory, so I guess I have a lot of questions in general. PS. I'm in NorCal, otherwise I'd just swing by your shop.

Exactly!!!

Again, sorry for the crappy options... there definitely should have been one like "Did X - and unsatisfied" -- I tried to see if we could get the poll edited, but we can't :\ The comments are definitely helpful though too!

Hey no prob. I was a little over zealous in my response.

Regarding scratches from possible bags, coats, etc. rubbing against the doors in parking lots, etc... nothing other than a wrap can really protect against that kind of action.

Nano coatings, like C.Quartz, 22PLE, Gtechniq, etc. if applied correctly add the most measurable protective layering on top of your paint's finish. A sacrificial layer for future washings. Things like pitch, bird droppings, and other debris, can be more easily washed off, generally without directly getting down to the paint layer. But it's nothing like a full-on wrap.

Keep in mind, different brands make claims of 2 year, 5 year, or even lifetime warranty on their coatings, and while some of these claims might technically true, at some kind of residual leftover level... effective protection with nearly all of them wear off in about 2 to 3 years -- depending on your individual washing wear.

Very well put. One cannot assume the manufacturer is always telling the real story. And one cannot always assume the DIY consumer knows the whole story. The best thing to do is understand what are you looking for and why is someone recommending that solution for YOU. We treat every car that comes into our studio as a "patient". No two are ever alike, so it's best to examine the car, speak to the owner and figure out what his/her needs are, then form a plan/solution. Hope that makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the thorough response, Moe! You always give great feedback. You seem to be the king of SoCal when it comes to these installs. I understand that Xpel is really meant to help those head on impacts with road debris, and a few other areas on the car where you're going to have periodic brush ins with (e.g., rear bumper and low side skirts). One thing I noticed on family cars in the past (Mercedes) is that we ended up with a lot of scratches on the doors. These might have been from shopping carts, or women carrying purses that walk by and some metal on that purse leaves a light scratch in the door. I was wondering if people Xpel doors for those reasons. How well does Opticoat protect against these kinds of issues? As i understand it, Opticoat and/or other coatings (e.g., Suntek) should still be cared for just like your normal paint, i.e., with good washing techniques to avoid scratches, etc.

Last, can you suggest a specific washing mitt that you use?

Thanks for being very response. This is the first car I'm considering protecting beyond what comes out of the factory, so I guess I have a lot of questions in general. PS. I'm in NorCal, otherwise I'd just swing by your shop.

I love what I do and try to approach it more like a physician than a technician. I want my clients knowing WHAT the problem is, WHAT caused it, and WHY I'm proposing a particular solution that fits THEM. If you have that approach, people's common sense kicks in and I'm no longer seen as a salesman, but rather as a problem solver they can trust.

As for XPEL.vs. OptiCoat, two different materials. XPEL Ultimate, or any clear bra, is about twice as thick as the complete amount of material on your MS. So, that translates to about an additional 130-160 microns of material. Products like Opticoat or coatings, are adding about 2-5 microns at best.

As for a coating, I'm on the nano technology wagon. The reason being, it makes more sense to me as a technician and it has the "look" I'm after. We're currently using CQuartz Finest as our go-to Nano coating. Maintain with CQuartz Reload, and you'll have great success.

As for wash mitts, all natural australian lambs wool has been my choice for almost 20 years. PM me if you'd like one. We sell them.

So, no matter what coating you have, nothing takes the place of a proper wash, with the correct wash mitt and towels.

I read artsci's excellent set of tests on paint sealants. However, I just could not get over their website nor how confusing the product lineup was on the site, so I called them. The gentlemen on the phone was well, responded I such a way that I definitely was not going to buy their product. He was also very much against paint protection films. I went with Gtechniq because I wanted that kind of technology and it was something that I could apply myself.

I just ordered it from ebay. The guy was probably thinking that if you want the best shine, paint protection film is not the way to go. Plastic film will never shine as nicely as a coat of paint, but it will protect well.

How was the Gtechniq to apply? I must have about 5 coats of glare on the car by now.

I just ordered it from ebay. The guy was probably thinking that if you want the best shine, paint protection film is not the way to go. Plastic film will never shine as nicely as a coat of paint, but it will protect well.

How was the Gtechniq to apply? I must have about 5 coats of glare on the car by now.

The gentlemen that answered Glare's phone was very much against paint protection films. Mainly I wanted to know how his product interacted with paint protection films and his answer was a definite "you don't want paint protection film" approach. Further, I said that his website was confusing, as I really wanted to know what each of the products was trying to do. He said that it was intentionally confusing so that people would call them. I did not like that answer.

I really wasn't sure I could find a detailer in my area that I would be satisfied to do any of the newer paint sealant products. Since Gtechniq has lot of videos discussing and showing application, that helped in my decision making process. Further, both XPEL and Gtechniq would not endorse each other or declare incompatibility, after discussions with both the XPEL sales rep and the Gtechniq in-house detailer I was left with the impression that it would be fine. So I had the parts of the car that would have XPEL installed paint corrected by a professional and had XPEL installed. I was ultimately unhappy with the professional paint correction, so I ordered Gtechniq P1 nano composite polish in addition to their "Surface Protection Kit." After I got the car back with XPEL installed, I spent the weekend hand polishing with P1 on all the parts that were not XPEL covered. Then I applied C1 Crystal Lacquer to those areas. Then I applied two coats of EXOv2 to the whole car. It was a lot of work and I was quite sore, especially since I'm quite out of shape. It was also the first time doing anything like that to a car. Needless to say, I was quite nervous. I spent some time asking questions of the Gtechniq in-house detailer who was very patient with me and I spent a bunch of time watching the videos. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results. I think I did end up stretching the EVOv2 a bit, and plainly didn't have enough light while I was polishing with the P1 (indoors).

I did end up with some light scratching on the C1 + EXOv2 coatings trying to get a Chargepoint J1772 cable to reach my charge port. I'm going to end up re-polishing with P1 in that section (which happens to be the one area where I didn't do such a good job with the C1 application where it streaked). One thing to note is that the EXOv2 has a very limited shelf life and comes in an aluminum foil sealed pouch. With EXOv2 on the painted areas and not on the XPEL, the difference is shine was very apparent. Initially, I was going to leave it that way, but decided against it and put two coats of EXOv2 onto the XPEL. Now the shine level is much closer. I love how good the black looks after a simple wash and dry. It's awesome to be able to mostly dry by water, and do the rest with compressed air. I end up doing a little bit with microfiber, mainly because of the door handles.

Last edited:
The gentlemen that answered Glare's phone was very much against paint protection films. Mainly I wanted to know how his product interacted with paint protection films and his answer was a definite "you don't want paint protection film" approach. Further, I said that his website was confusing, as I really wanted to know what each of the products was trying to do. He said that it was intentionally confusing so that people would call them. I did not like that answer.

I'm not so sure that any respectable detailer endorses Glare because of this. Of all the detailers I know, all can't stand dealing with retailers and feel the Glare product is nothing unique.

In Glare's defense, I don't find it surprising that they wouldn't recommend a "competitor" product. That's just aggressive sales technique.

I'm also not surprised that neither Xpel or Gtechniq would come out full force to endorse their products being used together; I suspect that's because of lack of testing and quality control.

I'm not so sure that any respectable detailer endorses Glare because of this. Of all the detailers I know, all can't stand dealing with retailers and feel the Glare product is nothing unique.

In Glare's defense, I don't find it surprising that they wouldn't recommend a "competitor" product. That's just aggressive sales technique.

The logic of those two lines when put together basically forced me to conclude that I should move onto a different product. If Glare is hostile to paint protection films and I'm getting a paint protection film and Glare is not all that unique, then I can find what I want from someone else that isn't hostile to paint protection films.

I'm also not surprised that neither Xpel or Gtechniq would come out full force to endorse their products being used together; I suspect that's because of lack of testing and quality control.

Right... they couldn't endorse, but they weren't hostile. They know that it is a common technique and they've done it, but they can't endorse it but feel that it should be fine.

It doesn't help that the PPF industry does move faster than a lot of people are used to moving in the detailing industry. For example, the XPEL Ultimate behaves differently than earlier XPEL with respect to top coatings.

The bad news is that it only covers half the hood so there is a dirt line that looks just awful. In addition, plenty of damaging particles hit above the line. There have also been complaints that the installation was poor. Get full coverage (at least the hood and fenders if you think full coverage is too expensive) from a good local source.

Plus 1 on the full hood!

I stopped Tesla from doing factory paint armor right about when they had everything on but the hood. I had already planned on doing the full hood local, then was told they were doing paint armor at the factory on my car! STOP!!! So I have half Tesla, half local.

The hood still is gorgeous after 36,500 miles, with a couple scratches in the ppf that are hard to see. I will probably have it redone sometime.

I wish I had put a section of paint armor on just behind the front wheel well openings, and just in front of the rear wheel well openings, which have a little bit of winter sand damage (still waxes up nice, though). I am not sure full ppf was worth it when my stock was down at $30, maybe would have gotten it if it was at over $200 back then :smile:

I just got a quote for Xpel Ultimate FULL wrap and it was $7500 US. They claimed to have wrapped 50 Teslas to date. Is this quote competitive or as ridiculous as it sounds?

Has anyone used 3M PPF? Is this the poor man's wrap?

Update: I just got a quote from the local Vancouver guy and he can do the Xpel Ultimate wrap on site at the Vancouver Service Center. He said it should be $3500-$4000 for a full wrap of $1400 for standard front wrap. I'll update once it's done for any other Vancouver area owners that are interested.

Last edited:
I just got a quote for Xpel Ultimate FULL wrap and it was $7500 US. They claimed to have wrapped 50 Teslas to date. Is this quote competitive or as ridiculous as it sounds?

Has anyone used 3M PPF? Is this the poor man's wrap?

Update: I just got a quote from the local Vancouver guy and he can do the Xpel Ultimate wrap on site at the Vancouver Service Center. He said it should be $3500-$4000 for a full wrap of $1400 for standard front wrap. I'll update once it's done for any other Vancouver area owners that are interested.
Sounds high to me. My quote is here. They haven't done that many Teslas but I can let you know how mine goes. Mine doesn't include tinted windows.