Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your Model 3 doing filtering out the smoke from the forest fires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow thanks to both of you for the readings. My meter should arrive this week, it offers readings for 1 micron particles (PM1.0), 2.5 microns, and 10 microns. Not sure if the data is interpolated, but that resolution seems pretty common.

HEPA Cabin Filters | Bosch Auto Parts

Bosch sells True HEPA filters (MERV 17) for many everyday vehicles. The main downside is lower airflow, but I'd take that any day over higher (more polluted) airflow.

If someone has the exact dimensions for the Model 3 filter, I will see if there is a Bosch HEPA replacement that is compatible.

Here's all you really need to know. Look at the hourly chart on the bottom under "Home". The red bars are my meter sitting inside my house. Then I drove in the Model S with BioWeapon Defense on for five hours.... that's the huge drop to zero and happy green. Then I arrived back home... And this time you can pay attention to the "Davis" reading too, since it was online the whole time.View attachment 354294

Reactions: bradhs and Kant.Ing
I thought that was only on the S and X models.
Maybe you're confusing the "BioDefense Weapon" HEPA filters of the S and X with the addition of carbon?

The 3 doesn't have HEPA filters, doesn't have a "BioDefense" mode, but does have pretty good filters that appear to have charcoal integrated into them. And I can confidently say that they work quite well at filtering smoke AND reducing odors from smoke and other combustion exhaust.

Reactions: bradhs and mmccking
Thanks everyone, appreciate all the great information. is the AirVisual Pro for IQAir the thing to get?

AirVisual Pro

Or are there better devices out there? Would like to get something like this or the house. (And to once in a while test the car. haha)
It is what I bought. And three other people close to me purchased the same unit, so we got to compare them side-by-side. Like with most of these units, it takes a while to calibrate them after shipping. In general, I think they're worth it and "accurate enough"... especially useful for a home unit. They can be portable (with internal battery) so for occasional measurements in the car or in other areas, it works great. If all you do is portable, then a hand-held unit would likely be better.

Thanks for doing this! :)

Could you by any chance provide any details on the sensor you used? I'm happy to give you an Amazon referral for the one they have now, but I was a big fan of the one you showed in the video so I figured I'd ask anyway... :)

I tried to find Incredulous's monitor and could not find it on Amazon.
After a lot of digging around on amazon I found this one and bought the one below. It's pretty nice. I liked that it had histograms built in, many did not.

It has PM1.0, PM2.5, PM10, TVOC, HCHO, Temp and Humidity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078ZS8RVL

Does anyone know is there is a way to put extra filter for external air. I'm in China but I don't want to always have recirculation on to have too much CO2 in the car. My model s can filter outside air and recirculation. I just realized model 3 doesn't filter external air which is disappointing. Hopefully someone could comeout with a solution to filter external air that entering into the cabin.

Does anyone know is there is a way to put extra filter for external air. I'm in China but I don't want to always have recirculation on to have too much CO2 in the car. My model s can filter outside air and recirculation. I just realized model 3 doesn't filter external air which is disappointing. Hopefully someone could comeout with a solution to filter external air that entering into the cabin.
It does somewhat filter external air but it’s not capable of filtering as well as Model S and X – it takes multiple passes through the filter (recirculation) to catch up. Might be worth testing whether CO2 levels rise appreciably or not in recirc mode as some outside air must be drawn in. I actually have a CO2 monitor – perhaps I’ll give it a try this week....