Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long before delivery do you pay the balance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, stupid question, but my delivery has been scheduled for a few days now - it's in one week. I don't have any option to pay my remaining balance.

How long before delivery does it show up?
I paid and signed right after ordering on 8/26. Not sure why the option was available so early for me... I was hoping the car was already available! Delivery should be this week.

quick question on paying for the car on delivery day:

Does adding bank account and paying for the car on Tesla account page online, go through immediately? Or does payment via website take some time to process?

I'm wondering if I can go to inspect the car on my delivery appointment, and if I like the car, pay for it immediately via the website while I'm at the delivery center. (family is helping to pay for the car... so I am wondering if I can tell them to pay from my online account after I inspect the car, so that their money doesn't get stuck in case the car doesn't pass my inspections. Also I'm trying to avoid carrying certified checks, because we using multiple accounts)

Last edited:
Reactions: UpNorth067
quick question on paying for the car on delivery day:

Does adding bank account and paying for the car on Tesla account page online, go through immediately? Or does payment via website take some time to process?

I'm wondering if I can go to inspect the car on my delivery appointment, and if I like the car, pay for it immediately via the website while I'm at the delivery center. (family is helping to pay for the car... so I am wondering if I can tell them to pay from my online account after I inspect the car, so that their money doesn't get stuck in case the car doesn't pass my inspections. Also I'm trying to avoid carrying certified checks, because we using multiple accounts)
Using the plaid payment service took a day for me before it was deducted from my bank. Not sure if that's typical or not.

Received notification from Tesla to pay final invoice on 9/27. Account revealed a VIN number was assigned (2817xx). On 9/28 I paid all fees due via PLAID. EDD reflects 09/29-09/30. Today is 09/29 - no information pertaining to delivery in my account yet. SA only confirms "soon" when asked if this means the car will be available to me by quarter end, now that I've fully paid for it. Does anyone know what the typical wait time is between paying for the car and receiving car delivery information? It seems to me that Tesla will recognize the fees paid and the sale of the car in the EQ3 results. Hopefully this will also me that I will actually get the car during Q3 and not sometime in Q4? Any thoughts?

MYLR; OD: 07/13; white/white/5 seat/19"galaxy/no tow or FSD.

Don't hand them the check until you have inspected your car and it passes muster with you.

100% THIS.

Do not give them money until you have a car that you are happy with. If you are not happy with it, they have literally thousands of people in line who will pay them for it. You keep your money until you have a car.

Be prepared for them to ensure the money transfers before they let you drive away.

We paid with bank transfer after we inspected the car. The bank transfer took 15 to 20 minutes as I recall, certainly not more than 30 minutes. A personal check might take longer, might go quicker. They're likely going to call your bank and ask if the check is good before accepting it and letting you drive away.

This is all normal. This is not unique to Tesla. This is how you buy expensive things. Do not give them $55K+ with nothing in return.

We paid with a cashier's check. I do trust Tesla to eventually get us the car we ordered, so I considered wiring the payment, but ultimately I didn't see any reason to pay before the car is actually in front of me.

The Plaid thing is super sketchy - they want our banking login credentials? F*** that. You should NEVER give that out. Tesla's encouragement of that makes me deeply question their security practices. (Then again, I've no reason to believe other automakers are any better about information security.)

We paid with a cashier's check. I do trust Tesla to eventually get us the car we ordered, so I considered wiring the payment, but ultimately I didn't see any reason to pay before the car is actually in front of me.

The Plaid thing is super sketchy - they want our banking login credentials? F*** that. You should NEVER give that out. Tesla's encouragement of that makes me deeply question their security practices. (Then again, I've no reason to believe other automakers are any better about information security.)

They want login credentials? Not just routing instructions?

They want login credentials? Not just routing instructions?
Yup, login and password. I can only guess that afterwards they'll ask for the 2factor credentials too.

If you don't mind paying in advance, you can wire the money. One of my financial institutions does wires for free. We decided to pay a few bucks for a cashier's check though, so we could pay Tesla at the same time we get the keys.