Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
San Diego, installed on a Friday then inspection next Friday, SDGE only needed a pic of meter with placard today and achieved PTO today. So, less than two weeks from install to live.
My install was 3/14, Tues and inspection was on 3/21. I paid right away yesterday. However, Tesla tells me that they cannot process and do the utility paperwork for 5-10 days after payment. My account says payment processed right away. I already have one system and this is the second and no new net metering needed. Each project team is different and ours is not the greatest. Even for inspection, they said they had to FedEx paperwork to me and wasted 3 days on that.
Glad you are lucky and the best team.

My install was 3/14, Tues and inspection was on 3/21. I paid right away yesterday. However, Tesla tells me that they cannot process and do the utility paperwork for 5-10 days after payment. My account says payment processed right away. I already have one system and this is the second and no new net metering needed. Each project team is different and ours is not the greatest. Even for inspection, they said they had to FedEx paperwork to me and wasted 3 days on that.
Glad you are lucky and the best team.
My county handed me another 6 weeks minimum delay on March 20 by not showing up for utility meter pull. BGE is only supporting 2 meter pulls a week apparently, April 28 was my next available spot in line. Sad.
At least the county supplied their action in an attempt to make up for it, but an additional 6+ week delay. Very disappointing.

My county handed me another 6 weeks minimum delay on March 20 by not showing up for utility meter pull. BGE is only supporting 2 meter pulls a week apparently, April 28 was my next available spot in line. Sad.
At least the county supplied their action in an attempt to make up for it, but an additional 6+ week delay. Very disappointing.
Sorry to hear about the delay. Even tho I paid on 3/21 after the inspection the same day they submitted the paperwork to utility only on 3/28. I am hoping to get the PTO tomorrow or early next week. Utility must be doing something in the back end as I cannot see the production of my current system installed in Jan 2014 which is meteterd. They must be trying to connect the two systems remotely as no need for another meter. Fingers crossed.

You're going to have PTO at least a month ahead of me is my prediction. I think mine will be mid May at the earliest.
Sorry to hear about the delay. Even tho I paid on 3/21 after the inspection the same day they submitted the paperwork to utility only on 3/28. I am hoping to get the PTO tomorrow or early next week. Utility must be doing something in the back end as I cannot see the production of my current system installed in Jan 2014 which is meteterd. They must be trying to connect the two systems remotely as no need for another meter. Fingers crossed

Reactions: bhakan
I had my city inspection (Hayward, CA) on 3/21, paid full on 3/24, Tesla account said they submitted PTO on 3/28. I called PG&E and they seems to have nothing (they said Tesla need to reply to email PG&E sent to them in Feb., Tesla submitted the application before the installation). I am not able to reach anyone at Tesla. My project manager said he tried escalating but got no response. There is no one to call at Tesla. Does anyone know how long PG&E taking for PTO or Tesla has not really filed for PTO thought account said they did?

I had my city inspection (Hayward, CA) on 3/21, paid full on 3/24, Tesla account said they submitted PTO on 3/28. I called PG&E and they seems to have nothing (they said Tesla need to reply to email PG&E sent to them in Feb., Tesla submitted the application before the installation). I am not able to reach anyone at Tesla. My project manager said he tried escalating but got no response. There is no one to call at Tesla. Does anyone know how long PG&E taking for PTO or Tesla has not really filed for PTO thought account said they did?

If the completed application (with line diagram and permit) doesn’t get in by midnight today you’ll miss NEM 2.

If the completed application (with line diagram and permit) doesn’t get in by midnight today you’ll miss NEM 2.
That is not true. Tesla already applied for the interconnect application even before the installation (In Feb.). As long as the design does not change from the application, it will be in NEM 2. This is the reason lots of people are submitting application last last minute and installation can happen later. They will still be in NEM 2. This is what I have heard.

Southern California (Orange County)
Southern California Edison

Ordered Sept 2022
Installed 2/21/23
Inspected 2/28/23
Paid in full 3/1/23
Confirmation from SCE of Interconnection request: 3/1/23
PTO: still waiting….

I have received emails that I have been included on where SCE is requesting for information. Tesla is supposedly taking care of it. At least I have a power wall and am fully functional except I can not push any power to the grid. Basically I use it or lose it…

In my case, I paid full amount 3/24. Tesla says they submitted PTO on 3/28 but PG&E saying they have not received it yet. I don't know what to do. I keep contacting Tesla but there is no satisfactory response other than we have already submitted it.

Ordered Sept 2022
Installed 2/21/23
Inspected 2/28/23
Paid in full 3/1/23

I have received emails that I have been included on where SCE is requesting for information. Tesla is supposedly taking care of it. At least I have a power wall and am fully functional except I can not push any power to the grid. Basically I use it or lose it…
Interesting. My Project is in a different area, different grid operator, different installer, and different scope, etc....

My scope:
Complete house exterior remodel, including doors and windows
Tesla Solar Roof
Powerwalls

My timeline:
Signed contract in Oct 2021
Installation started April 2022
Roof installation started June 2022, completed early July 2022
Battery installation, all ready for meter pull and final connections, interconnection application submitted Jan 28 2023
BGE (grid operator) approved interconnection app Feb 10 2023
Meter pull scheduled March 20 2023 - County inspector did not show
Meter pull re-scheduled April 28 2023 - BGE did not show
Meter pull re-scheduled May 11 2023
Final County inspection req'd, report to BGE
BGE issues PTO, swaps meter for net metering

In my case, my contractor is with the area Tesla Certified Installer, and the contract has invoice milestones. At this point, approx. 30% of the contract value remains to be invoiced, most of the remainder tied to meter pull and final electrical connection. If batteries are involved, the feed from the meter to the electrical panel requires re-routing to the gateway, which then supplies the panel(s), number depending on backup configuration. My case is whole house, no additional backup panel. My timeline was also driven by prerequisite exterior remodel activities with separate supply lead times prior to start of solar work. However, here there are a number of tripping points between interconnection application and PTO. I am currently bogged down in that area.

A real illustration of the old saying "Many's the slip, twixt the cup and the lip"

Last edited:
I had a Solar Roof + Powerwall installation in San Diego.
City inspection was 4/11/23 and PTO was grated 4/30/23.
SDGE told me they had 30,000 last minute applications trying to get grandfathered into NEM2.0. Taking that into consideration I'm very pleased with the 19 day turnaround.

I had a Solar Roof + Powerwall installation in San Diego.
City inspection was 4/11/23 and PTO was grated 4/30/23.
SDGE told me they had 30,000 last minute applications trying to get grandfathered into NEM2.0. Taking that into consideration I'm very pleased with the 19 day turnaround.
Not a bad turnaround. That is quite a queue. Lots of residential generation waiting - assuming an average of 10 kw per system, 300 mw. It would be interesting to know how many of those include storage....

Ordered Sept 2022
Installed 2/21/23
Inspected 2/28/23
Paid in full 3/1/23

Still waiting for PTO....72 days and counting

In NY
Install date 4/21
Electrical inspection passed 4/25
request for down payment 5/2
down payment paid 5/4 ( I financed and intentionally put down the exact amount of state and fed tax credits)
payment successful and was told they are putting me in queue for PTO up to 60 days. 5/12
Found out this week they never got the town inspection and never filed for PTO

I am pretty pissed, as the contract states down payment is made after system passes inspection. They texted me they are waiting for inspection, they are full of sheeit! My town posts all permits and I am overly familiar with them, as I invest in RE and am constantly checking for permits. The delay is 1 day for them to post and solar is fast tracked in 72 hours. So Tesla installed my system w/o getting a permit and now they are scrambling to get a permit then an inspection.

At this point I don't care I will get my tax credits in March 2024, I am running the system 2x a week to charge my car, I am careful enough so I won't net meter. I already have a bi directional meter installed and my util has added net metering to my bill as Tesla did file the initial paperwork in feb w/ them.