Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long can I expect a model 3 to last?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a little remorse on buying a 2019 M3. Thought it was a good deal. Car in perfect condition except for some creeping sounds etc. but now just thinking how long I can really expect the car the last.

Anyone here have an older model Tesla ? Do they really last long like the dealer says?

I think its a fun appliance that will last a long time. Its also super practical and extremely cheap to run...best car i've ever had. I'm always thinking about upgrading to something like a Plaid but i don't know if it will be any better really. If you take care of the battery, it will probably last about 15 years before the battery needs replacing (Li-ion just doesn't last much beyond that). Of course, I doubt I'll keep it that long.

Upvote 0
Why can't it be both? I plan on keeping my Model 3 for a very long time (already almost at 5 years in and at over 100,000 miles). It is also my only car (by choice) and I use it for commuting, for fun, and for towing small trailers. People ask me why I don't get another vehicle for winter driving, or for commuting, or for towing/hauling. But I can do everything with my Model 3 and I love the car, why would I not want to use it every chance I get? I also take car of my car and add or do things to it that I know will help it stay in good condition for longer.
I actually do want to keep my new Model 3 for five years :p I think I say that every time I get a new car. My '20 was actually pretty good. But I got too tempted by the late Dec '22 offer.

My wife drives my former car - 2018 BMW X3 40i. Of course it's paid for and in relatively good shape. In a few weeks, I'm having a detailer come over to do paint correction. Should look literally brand new when he's done! Kinda excited for that.

Upvote 0
after four years and two months, 30k miles, my model 3 computer failed and needs to be repaired out of pocket cost. Screens are allegedly designed to last 5-6 years. Computers a similar amount of time. This info should be known upfront to help budget for these repairs. The computer will set you back $2300, the screen $1500.

Upvote 0
Um. Got a 2018 M3 LR RWD with ~60K miles on it. Still going strong.

At one point over the years Tesla mentioned that they were running a long term test on the motors/gears. They stated that they were looking at a million mile MBTF. Of course, the battery's not going to last that long.

Now, this was an early model M3. So, one kind of expects things to go wrong. So far:
  • Blown pyro fuse due to a short in the pagoda wiring harness. Under warranty.
  • Replaced charge port pin dead fronts. (Service bulletin, and had a bit of broken plastic). Warranty.
  • Charger door mechanism replacement. Warranty.
  • Replaced both front repeater camera/turn signals due to orange glare. Warranty.
  • A rock found the windshield in an inopportune place. Thank you, insurance.
  • Passenger front door handle wouldn't close. Mobile tech with WD-40 fixed it. Warranty.
  • Manufacturing defect, driver's side pillar trim. Wouldn't stay in. Took three tries, but, on the third try, mobile tech knew the problem and fixed it, gratis. Warranty.
  • Recall repair of possible loose rear camera harness. Warranty.
  • Wiper blade replacement. My wallet.
  • Air filter replacement. Bought from Tesla, did the work.
  • Rear under car aero shield popped loose from car, fixed with duct tape, mobile tech showed and put on a new one. $200.
  • Flat. Tesla got drop-shipped new tire, put on my wheel, mounted it on the car. $60.
  • Left front control arm squeaked and groaned enough to get a job in a band. Both left and front replaced, $201, out of warranty.
Not that bad for five years; except for the aero shield, which was a road hazard, the flat, and the control arms, rest was under warranty.

About 5% degradation on the battery at this point.

Reactions: puckpurnell
Upvote 0
I’m a guy who gets new cars for fun. It’s a terrible financial decision to do this. As of 2019, I had been through over 100 high end cars - because I love cars.

When I head the rumors that the stealth M3P was available, it sounded like the perfect car for me and my local Tesla dealer had one shipped in. I figured I would have it for 6-12 months.

Well, it’s 4 years and 84,000 miles later. I can’t think of a better car for me and believe me I’ve tried. I had a bad habit. I’ve replaced the entire suspension, not because it was faulty but because I wanted a more luxurious and compliant ride. It’s been completely trouble free. I plan on keeping it a very long time and handing it down to my kids. With all the money I’ve saved over the last 4 years, I can easily justify a battery replacement if it comes to that (which I think is unlikely).

My advice is for you to enjoy your car and drive the snot out of it. These are really good cars.

Upvote 0