Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long can I keep my spot in line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a Model 3 reservation since april 2016 (few days after the reveal), but given my location (Europe) and the fact that I'm not a Tesla owner already I'll be able to order by the end of 2018, early 2019.

However, my plan is to purchase the Model 3 only in 2021, due to a variety of reasons. The main one being that'll be when I move to a bigger house with a garage, whereas my current vehicle is parked outside in the street every night. I don't want this for my Model 3 regarding charging and wear and tear. I ordered my Model 3 early to support Tesla and to get it in 2020/2021 (which used to be the goal for mass production).

Long story short: can I, whenever I get my e-mail to configure my Model 3 in january 2019, tell Tesla to keep my spot in line indefinitely, so that I can configure at any later time without any further delay in delivery (say 1 month)?

Second question:
I've been thinking of just configuring in 2019, and flipping it, and then ordering another one. But in this regard I have two other questions:
1) does Tesla allow this? I'm not a current Tesla owner so I guess they should.
2) If I sell a Tesla on the private market, do I remain 'tesla owner' on the Tesla website? Or do you transfer the ownership from account to account? How would this work? Is it disadvantageous for the person that buys my Model 3 as he now doesn't have Tesla.com access?

Thanks for your opinions on the above.

You should be able to hold you spot in line indefinitely, once you get the invite to configure you can click the "Hold my spot" button or just not configure and then go back when you're ready. Keep in mind though that, if the ramp up goes close to being as planned, by 2021 there shouldn't be a line anyway.

As for your other questions, sure you can flip it, assuming there is still enough demand in 2019 for it to be worth your while. If you sell it to someone else you are no longer an owner. I think Tesla bases that on someone else registering that VIN in their myTesla account.

One would hope by 2021 Tesla is producing 10,000 Model 3s a week like they are guiding for at the end of 2018. If that holds true or even if that gets delayed by a few months I would imagine by 2021 newly placed orders are delivered within a month or two. If you’re really planning on waiting at least 3 years from now I would get your reservation deposit back and invest it.

I would cancel my order now, do something useful with the deposit money (invest in TSLA) and just order one when you want it. I agree with the previous post that when you are ready to purchase, the wait time should be next to nothing.

Hello neighbor, I'm exactly in the same position as you, planning to buy my M3 in 2021. I didn't make a reservation and kept the 1000 euros in my pocket.

Maybe flipping your car in 2019 will make you some profit although generally prices fall considerably driving out of the delivery centre. Ofcourse you could sell the reservation, but I'm not sure whether the waiting list will be very long to get you any profit. I could make a reservation now and still get the same delivery window so I don't think it'll be worth you're while.

I'd just wait till the M3 comes to Europe. That's what I've decided to do and for the next couple of years drive my hybrid Toyota Auris, which btw is a great car for driving, costs and fuel-economy (5l/100km).

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a Model 3 reservation since april 2016 (few days after the reveal), but given my location (Europe) and the fact that I'm not a Tesla owner already I'll be able to order by the end of 2018, early 2019.

However, my plan is to purchase the Model 3 only in 2021, due to a variety of reasons. The main one being that'll be when I move to a bigger house with a garage, whereas my current vehicle is parked outside in the street every night. I don't want this for my Model 3 regarding charging and wear and tear. I ordered my Model 3 early to support Tesla and to get it in 2020/2021 (which used to be the goal for mass production).

Long story short: can I, whenever I get my e-mail to configure my Model 3 in january 2019, tell Tesla to keep my spot in line indefinitely, so that I can configure at any later time without any further delay in delivery (say 1 month)?

Second question:
I've been thinking of just configuring in 2019, and flipping it, and then ordering another one. But in this regard I have two other questions:
1) does Tesla allow this? I'm not a current Tesla owner so I guess they should.
2) If I sell a Tesla on the private market, do I remain 'tesla owner' on the Tesla website? Or do you transfer the ownership from account to account? How would this work? Is it disadvantageous for the person that buys my Model 3 as he now doesn't have Tesla.com access?

Thanks for your opinions on the above.
Just think, if you'd put that $1000 in Bitcoin instead of a Model 3 reservation it would be worth $22,000 now...

just kill me now

You are no longer a Tesla owner once you sell your last Tesla. The new owner presents their proof of ownership to Tesla and Tesla removes the car from your account and puts it in their account.

• Informative
Reactions: jeewee3000
By the time European deliveries roll out, production should be at a sufficiently high scale that there is not a lot of difference in delivery time between someone ordering off a reservation or someone ordering new at that point. By 2019 the difference should be not existant.