Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did Model 3 Deposit Refund take?

How long did your Model 3 Deposit Refund take?

• Under a week

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 1-2 weeks

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • 2-3 weeks

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • 3-4 weeks

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Over a month

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a bigger issue with refunds at Tesla than Tesla would like us to believe.

I canceled my Tesla-3 and requested a refund on April 30th 2017. The website stated the refund would be returned by way of payment (in my case it was by Credit Card) within 15-30 days. On or about May 21 2017 I requested an update on the status of my refund. I was advised that Tesla had received my cancellation request and that my refund was being processed, however the refund time was now 30 business days. That made the potential refund date June 9th 2017. On the 12th of June I contacted Tesla about the status of the refund and I was advised that Tesla attempted to send the refund to me via my Credit Card, but it was rejected and Tesla would have to issue a check/cheque. I contacted my credit card company about the rejected refund and the credit card company stated that there was no such attempt by Tesla to refund the money back to my credit card. It is now June 27 2017 and there is still no refund; that is just shy of 60 days.

On one occasion while speaking to a Tesla rep, they let slip that there were hundreds of individuals not unlike myself trying to get a refund from Tesla.

There is a bigger issue with refunds at Tesla than Tesla would like us to believe.

I canceled my Tesla-3 and requested a refund on April 30th 2017. The website stated the refund would be returned by way of payment (in my case it was by Credit Card) within 15-30 days. On or about May 21 2017 I requested an update on the status of my refund. I was advised that Tesla had received my cancellation request and that my refund was being processed, however the refund time was now 30 business days. That made the potential refund date June 9th 2017. On the 12th of June I contacted Tesla about the status of the refund and I was advised that Tesla attempted to send the refund to me via my Credit Card, but it was rejected and Tesla would have to issue a check/cheque. I contacted my credit card company about the rejected refund and the credit card company stated that there was no such attempt by Tesla to refund the money back to my credit card. It is now June 27 2017 and there is still no refund; that is just shy of 60 days.

On one occasion while speaking to a Tesla rep, they let slip that there were hundreds of individuals not unlike myself trying to get a refund from Tesla.
My friend has been waiting almost 2 months already, This is what he received:

Subject: Model 3 Refund

Hi XXX,

I have double checked your account and everything is underway to have the funds returned to your account. We receive many of these requests a day and are working as quickly as possible. Please expect 30 business days for refund in exact method of payment.

Thank you,

XXXXXXXXXXXXX | Inside Sales Advisor | North American Sales
45500 Fremont Blvd | Fremont, CA 94538

• Funny
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
My refund is pushing 2 months now and still nothing. I had to call the help line 2 times. The first representative stated that I would receive the refund within the week after talking to him. When I called back the second time the representative indicated that refunds are taking well over a month and this was normal.
They need to remove the FAQ that states refunds are processed within three weeks.

• Funny
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
We receive many of these requests a day and are working as quickly as possible. Please expect 30 business days for refund in exact method of payment.

Oh-oh.

I work on payment processing stuff, and 1 person can easily handle 500 refunds per day. Easily. Hand-verifying every single one.

For it to become a burden they have to be handling orders of magnitude as many refund requests.

Either this is not a real excuse, or they're processing refunds in the 100's of thousands range.

• Informative
Reactions: mmd
I canceled my order around the middle of November. I contacted Tesla via email a couple weeks after canceling and received an email response informing me that my deposit had been made to my paypal account. I checked paypal and found no refund. I contacted Tesla again and I was again told that my deposit went to my paypal account. I contacted paypal and they informed me that there had been no refunds from Tesla to my account. I contacted Tesal for the third time and I was told they were having some problems with paypal to which I replied, "Didn't Musk invent paypal?". The person responded that they would send me a check. After two weeks I contacted Tesla again and again I was told they would mail a check. That was two weeks ago and still nothing. I have always been a Tesla supportor but this is ridiculous.