Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do they take to payoff my trade-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay - I’ll bite. You traded your car in and instead of giving you credit towards your M3 purchase you expected them to contact your bank and pay off your old loan?

that's how trade ins work when there is still a balance on the loan. Tesla will pay off the loan and either applied positive equity to the purchase of the model 3, or will cut him a check after the loan has been paid off.

I am trying to find out how long it takes them to send the money to the bank for the trade in. Been 3 weeks now and nothing yet.

I didn't trade to tesla for my model 3, but I've seen it take a month in past experience. You probably didn't need to make another payment on that loan, you typically have 30 days grace period before it impacts your credit. I would contact your delivery person otherwise.

Reactions: neroden and Ejl80
that's how trade ins work when there is still a balance on the loan. Tesla will pay off the loan and either applied positive equity to the purchase of the model 3, or will cut him a check after the loan has been paid off.

I didn't trade to tesla for my model 3, but I've seen it take a month in past experience. You probably didn't need to make another payment on that loan, you typically have 30 days grace period before it impacts your credit. I would contact your delivery person otherwise.

Yes I tried to contact the delivery agent but I think I have the worst one. Never knows anything. I am surprised we received our car at all.

Reactions: neroden
My last trade-in at a major BMW dealer took about 3 weeks, mostly due to internal processing. After check was issued, only took 1 day for bank to receive. Loan was paid off and amt that was greater than the amt of the loan went directly to my savings account.

However given Tesla's poor sales management, doesn't surprise me that it's taking a while.

• Informative
Loan had a balance of around 21k, Tesla offered 19k for the trade. I was fine with that since we got the tax benefit of the trade in. Tesla charged the different of the payoff to the new car. So the M3 had an extra 2k price on top of the original price. We did pay the difference directly to Tesla. As of today they still have not paid off the trade in loan and has had my trade in for 3 weeks now. I also had to make a payment so it would not be missed or late to keep our credit healthy.

Did Tesla say they would be paying off the loan ?
It sure sounds that way, but I don't have any experience to back up my guess.

Worse case, the loan company should remit the extra payments back to you when the Tesla payment arrives.
I get the distinct impression that Tesla does engineering a whole lot better than sales support, particularly during this fast ramp. Annoying, but it too will pass.

• Informative
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm hoping the OP is still around. Did Tesla pay off your loan? How long did it take them?

I am in the same boat. It's been 2 weeks since I took my Model 3 and traded in my Volt, but they haven't paid off the Volt yet.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm hoping the OP is still around. Did Tesla pay off your loan? How long did it take them?

I am in the same boat. It's been 2 weeks since I took my Model 3 and traded in my Volt, but they haven't paid off the Volt yet.

Almost a month, had to pay another payment. took a while to get that payment back from my financing company.

• Informative
I'm either surprised that so many of you actually check, or surprised that I'm such an idiot for not checking.

I simply assumed it was all taken care of like all the other times I've traded in a car.

If they haven't then I'll probably get a nasty letter soon as it would be past due.

It took 10 days for me. I got the car on 9/9. 9 days later, I noticed that I still had the loan open, so I contacted the service on 9/18. The service agent mentioned that it will take one billing cycle. It was paid off on 9/19. If you are concerned you should email your delivery agent. I am not sure if me asking about it helped, but it doesn’t hurt.