Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do you plan to keep your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I typically own my cars for a while (10 years). I think I may own a Model 3 for less time since EV technology is evolving quickly and the same with technology in Teslas. Due to the slow evolution in ICE vehicles I know the car I bought 10 years ago is similar to the new model.

How many years do you typically drive a car and how long do you expect to drive your Model 3?

I hope it's as close to perfection as it can possibly be because I'm sure without a doubt that this will be the most expensive car I'll ever purchase after I add in all the options.
For Tesla a lot is riding on the success of the M≡. I'm sure they are doing everything possible to ensure that issues with quality/reliability do not sink them. The rollout plan is designed to minimize any problems that do crop up by starting with employees, current owners, and those in close proximity. Employees and current owners should be more familiar with what to expect from a Tesla and will be asked to report any and all issues they find no matter how minor they might think it is. Then West Coasters will create a larger sampling of eyes and ears to increase the likelihood that any remaining problems are found. By the time the M≡ is delivered in large numbers it should be pretty solid quality wise. And Tesla has been pretty good about fixing/replacing any issues found later. So I'm not all that concerned about reliability. Proof of that is I'm buying one even though currently the closest Service Center is 3 1/2 hours away.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I hope it's as close to perfection as it can possibly be because I'm sure without a doubt that this will be the most expensive car I'll ever purchase after I add in all the options.

I hope so as well, but experience has taught me that no first gen version of any car has ever been even close to "perfect", and certainly not in the long run. And it's not just potential reliability issues. Build quality, available features, everything evolves, and with a BEV, ever so quickly.

I take the 2013 Model S I drove back then and compare it to the 2016 one I drove a couple of months ago. A world of difference, the current one was better in every aspect, every one. And even since then it has evolved dramatically. Facelift exterieur, AP 2 hardware, to name but two aspects. Now imagine my prospective 2018 Model 3 versus a 2021/22 one. Going by the experience with Tesla over the last few years would expect the latter to be so dramatically better that the former pales in comparison in almost every aspect also.

Casually perusing the Model S forums, most of the issues seem to fall into a couple of categories:
1. Drivetrain. Lots and lots of failures, but this issue seems to be well understood and Tesla should be able to eliminate this in recent S/X and all 3's. The drivetrain is so much simpler they should be able to do so...
2. Door Handles. Shouldn't be an issue for Model 3.
3. Fit and Finish. I don't expect the Model 3 to be any better than the S/X here; this would seem to be a fundamental question of process and assembly line training.
4. Lots of AP issues with the car not doing what the driver expected. Probably going to be the same.
5. Various squeaks, thumps, groans, and whistles. Probably going to be the same, perhaps slightly less.
5. Lots of SW gremlins. Probably going to be the same.

For me it always depends on money and the desire to get something new. I've owned cars for a little as four years and as long as 12+. I don't see myself doing the smartphone philosophy, where you trade up every two years. I'm not a leaser and I like the security of owning something. If the Model 3 holds up against time fairly well, I don't mind keeping it for 10+ years.