TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How long do you plan to keep your Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by HopeToGolf, Nov 6, 2016.

1. HopeToGolf

HopeToGolf Member

I typically own my cars for a while (10 years). I think I may own a Model 3 for less time since EV technology is evolving quickly and the same with technology in Teslas. Due to the slow evolution in ICE vehicles I know the car I bought 10 years ago is similar to the new model.

How many years do you typically drive a car and how long do you expect to drive your Model 3?

2. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Why don't you setup a poll? :)

3. Winston Wolf

Winston Wolf Member

10 years. At least. My current car is almost 14

4. Jayc

Jayc Member

At least 5 years, more if it turns out to be very reliable but not more than 8 years which is when battery warranty runs out.

5. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

Until the end of time.

• Love x 2
  6. wesley888

wesley888 Member

First gen car always have problems. (*looking at model X*) I plan to lease it for 3 years and get a new one afterward.

7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Until the motors seize up and the battery no longer holds a charge.

• Like x 2
  8. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Me too. I am happy about getting my first Tesla, but I am sure it will be far from perfect. Just look at what a current Model S is like compared to a 2013 one.

• Like x 1
  9. S3XY

S3XY Member

There may be some issues but they have already learned those lessons so I'm expecting better than the early S's.

• Like x 1
  10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I hope it's as close to perfection as it can possibly be because I'm sure without a doubt that this will be the most expensive car I'll ever purchase after I add in all the options.

• Like x 2
  11. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Until M3 version 2.5 or 3.

12. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

Until I can afford a Ludicrous one!

13. S3XY

S3XY Member

For Tesla a lot is riding on the success of the M≡. I'm sure they are doing everything possible to ensure that issues with quality/reliability do not sink them. The rollout plan is designed to minimize any problems that do crop up by starting with employees, current owners, and those in close proximity. Employees and current owners should be more familiar with what to expect from a Tesla and will be asked to report any and all issues they find no matter how minor they might think it is. Then West Coasters will create a larger sampling of eyes and ears to increase the likelihood that any remaining problems are found. By the time the M≡ is delivered in large numbers it should be pretty solid quality wise. And Tesla has been pretty good about fixing/replacing any issues found later. So I'm not all that concerned about reliability. Proof of that is I'm buying one even though currently the closest Service Center is 3 1/2 hours away.

• Like x 1
  14. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

I hope so as well, but experience has taught me that no first gen version of any car has ever been even close to "perfect", and certainly not in the long run. And it's not just potential reliability issues. Build quality, available features, everything evolves, and with a BEV, ever so quickly.

I take the 2013 Model S I drove back then and compare it to the 2016 one I drove a couple of months ago. A world of difference, the current one was better in every aspect, every one. And even since then it has evolved dramatically. Facelift exterieur, AP 2 hardware, to name but two aspects. Now imagine my prospective 2018 Model 3 versus a 2021/22 one. Going by the experience with Tesla over the last few years would expect the latter to be so dramatically better that the former pales in comparison in almost every aspect also.

15. wesley888

wesley888 Member

Agree. Just look at Model X. One would think they've learn all the mistake from Model S. And Model X is even more expensive than the model S.

The fact is, they have to use new parts, train new robots, use new additional programming, etc. Lot of new component to cause new issues.

16. biosci

biosci Member

I do wonder now what leasing options would look like for this car...

17. Frank Schwab

Frank Schwab Member

Casually perusing the Model S forums, most of the issues seem to fall into a couple of categories:
    1. Drivetrain. Lots and lots of failures, but this issue seems to be well understood and Tesla should be able to eliminate this in recent S/X and all 3's. The drivetrain is so much simpler they should be able to do so...
    2. Door Handles. Shouldn't be an issue for Model 3.
    3. Fit and Finish. I don't expect the Model 3 to be any better than the S/X here; this would seem to be a fundamental question of process and assembly line training.
    4. Lots of AP issues with the car not doing what the driver expected. Probably going to be the same.
    5. Various squeaks, thumps, groans, and whistles. Probably going to be the same, perhaps slightly less.
    5. Lots of SW gremlins. Probably going to be the same.

18. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

For me it always depends on money and the desire to get something new. I've owned cars for a little as four years and as long as 12+. I don't see myself doing the smartphone philosophy, where you trade up every two years. I'm not a leaser and I like the security of owning something. If the Model 3 holds up against time fairly well, I don't mind keeping it for 10+ years.

19. Nfuzzy

Nfuzzy Member

Until I'm dead and buried alongside it.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. david_42

david_42 Member

We will probably keep it until the battery capacity drops below 150 miles.