Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long from production to shipping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For people who are lucky enough to have their Model X delivered, or ready to be delivered - how long was it from the time your DS told you the car entered production to the time that the car was loaded on the truck ready for shipment to your local SC?

I know there are a lot of variables in delivery times based on whether shipment is by rail, or how far away you are from Fremont, etc, so I'm just curious how long it took to actually produce and assemble the vehicle?

My DS tells me that my car is due to enter production on 5/15 and that we're still on track for delivery end of May. I'm trying to figure out if that timeline is realistic. I assumed that production and QC checks in the factory would take about 2 weeks alone. Delivery from Fremont to Seattle by truck is probably only a day or 2, and then I thought the SC had their own 2-3 day QC check before delivery.

So I guess the big variable is the 2 week production time. Is that a good estimate? This might be a hard one to get an estimate on right now because of all the issues with rear seats and FWD's in the past couple of months that have probably skewed production times, but for anyone that has taken delivery recently, how long was your production time?

One week went by from "your vehicle is in production" to "your vehicle has been transported to the rail yard". I didn't get any more specific details during the production process so I don't know when it started and ended exactly.

• Informative
Reactions: chloedog
Here is what I believe

Before your very own car go to production. Tesla has already "mass produced" as much as they can to a "generic car", such as battery, powertrain, main body, steering wheel, fwd, lights. Maybe even the paints are already done too. Most of jobs will be done by their automatic robots. The computer system will pick your order and then the human workers starts to assemble the options your picked to make it your car. It should take less than a week. However, I still think 1 week is a bit too short with QC included.

Beginning of April to first of May, so about a month. It was in production a couple weeks, and inspection a couple weeks. Now our local service center has it and is waiting for some interior trim pieces and they need to fix a window that squeeks and doesn't line up correctly. So it will hopefully not be longer than 6 weeks from start of production to delivery.....

I hate posts like this where I'm waiting for the kind of hopeful information that makes me think I could be getting my car soon. 1 week from when you're told production has started to when car hits end of line? That would be wonderful! Ok, that's what I want to hear so that's what I'm going to believe! Since I sold my Model S I'm driving our backup family truck I'm way too focused on any tidbit of information that makes it seem I'm closer to seeing my Model X P90D with everything but tow and L delivered to me (in perfect condition).

I hope your production really happens but mine has 5 times been postponed. It is now scheduled to go into production the week of 5/16.

My DS estimates 6 to 8 weeks to delivery after it starts production for delivery in Chicago. I am starting to worry about not having the car in July where I have several trips planned that really need that car. This is for a 90D non premium confirmed late January.

Long time tesla supporter. 2013 Model S85. Ordered an X (90D) after reveal. Ordered 2 model 3's on March 31. Communication is almost non-existent. Model X confirmed first week of January, 2016. According to DS , finished production 26 April and shipped from the factory that day. According to her it has been sitting at a railyard in Ca waiting to be transported to Illinois. (I can't pick it up in Wisconsin because we aren't allowed to have dealers/SC etc. ) . I've requested a financial statement, delivery date and asked for them to go over the "check list" that's published in the forum. No answers. I need to plan. Would like to buy the car. Suspect that they are overwhelmed and understaffed.

• Helpful
Reactions: EV Family
VIN assigned 5/26. Production started 6/20 I think. production complete 6/24.
Wow ok so U almost had to wait a month then. I guess I got some time then. Confirmed my order in early Jan, just got my vin # last Monday. It was originally a 5 seater but switched to 6 seater because it's more what I wanted and faster. I think I would be getting mine by now if I had ordered the 6 seater to begin with.

I confirmed 4/19, got my VIN the same night (technically confirmed right-before-midnight 4/19, VIN assigned right-after-midnight 4/20). Early stages of production on 6/13. On 6/22 I was told it was ready for delivery today (6/24). I didn't have visibility into when it completed production and shipped. I would guess shipping took < 24 hours given it being a straight shot on I-80 from the Bay Area to SLC. I'm going to try to remember to ask "so... when did it get to SLC?" during delivery today.

I confirmed 4/19, got my VIN the same night (technically confirmed right-before-midnight 4/19, VIN assigned right-after-midnight 4/20). Early stages of production on 6/13. On 6/22 I was told it was ready for delivery today (6/24). I didn't have visibility into when it completed production and shipped. I would guess shipping took < 24 hours given it being a straight shot on I-80 from the Bay Area to SLC. I'm going to try to remember to ask "so... when did it get to SLC?" during delivery today.
That's BS man lol I don't understand that. :)