Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long until we get a 400+ mile model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who else is targeting that high other than Lucid?

I think the majority of people do not need more than 300 miles per charge. Companies will try to lower costs/decrease weight vs increase range after a certain point.
ONE has signed a deal with BWM to provider battery packs in the next version of the BMW ix.
People appreciate range because it provides a better buffer of comfort and ICE vehicles that are efficient can easily get 400 miles per tank or more depending on car and conditions.

We need better range in these cars regardless if "most people don't need it" - it will help with adoption and apparently these new battery tech is overall better anyway. I hope Tesla jumps on this new battery tech train very soon while they still have a good lead. IMO when 400-700 miles per charge vehicles are more common in the market Tesla is gonna have a harder and harder time keeping up.
What happens when a person can purchase something like a Chevy Bolt with 400 miles of range in cold weather/winter for about $30k with options?

Reactions: Hexo09
Need a third bridge.

Supercharging cost is most definitely not “so much lower” than other DC fast charging networks. In many places Electrify America is notably cheaper now.
I’ll have a chance to try out EA in a few weeks when my Lucid Air Grand Touring arrives (I’m keeping my Model X; replacing one of my ICE vehicles). I’ve heard about a lot of reliability issues with the EA network. The long range of the Air (516 miles) will certainly help with those concerns. I take a 750+ mile (one way) road trip in my X a couple of times a year. I plan to do it in the Air this Thanksgiving and will share my experience here.

I’ll have a chance to try out EA in a few weeks when my Lucid Air Grand Touring arrives (I’m keeping my Model X; replacing one of my ICE vehicles). I’ve heard about a lot of reliability issues with the EA network. The long range of the Air (516 miles) will certainly help with those concerns. I take a 750+ mile (one way) road trip in my X a couple of times a year. I plan to do it in the Air this Thanksgiving and will share my experience here.
Looking forward to your experience with Lucid and your road trip. I have a Lucid Touring on order.

When the 1000 mile versions costs twice what the 300 mile version does. Yes, Yes I would.

I'm not sure the convenience argument flies. I'm not ever going to drive 1000 miles without stopping for multiple bio breaks, to eat, stretch my legs, etc. (Also, I'm really not interested in getting a DVT.)

The problem is not range, it's time required to get a reasonable range, while on a road trip. A 200mi capacity is sufficient for most daily driving around town, because you charge at home or at work, or at the destinations while driving around town. So long range & charging time is really about road trips.

I admit/agree with those who say "99% of your driving is close to home." True, but Americans love road tripping, car camping, etc. Taking a family of 5 on a 500-1000mi road trip (or more) is often a lot cheaper, and more fun, and less stressful, than flying. People buy cars often with those road trips in mind, even though they are usually less than 5% of the use of the car. So, it is important to people.

So, getting EVs to parity with ICEVs for road trips is also important.

Typical driving distances between stops on long road trips is around 250-280 miles, or 3-4 hours of driving. Some/many go shorter, but very few want to drive >4 hours w/o stopping. Typical stopped time for a rest is about 15minutes. Occasionally people will stop longer, but usually people want a quick rest and then keep going.

So the obvious solution here is we need EVs that can add 250+ miles (REAL miles) in 15 minutes or less. This is possible TODAY with a 500+ mile range car. Due to DCFC physics, the high speed charging is only actually high speed from about 10% - 60% SOC for the battery. Adding 50% capacity (if done from 10-60%) for most batteries, regardless of total capacity, happens in about 15-20 minutes.

So this is the use-case / argument for a 500+ mi battery. NOT because people actually drive 500mi in one go, but because we don't want to wait 30-45 minutes to add enough range for the next 3-4 hour drive session.

Driving Supercharger profit is not why they are doing it. There are a number of reasons, for example:
  • Cost: It would cost a lot more to double battery capacity
  • Efficiency: Doubling batter capacity would increase the weight reducing efficiency. So it would cost you more money per mile travelled.
  • Weight: Weight would be increased, requiring upgrading lots of components. Tires, suspension, structure, etc.
  • Battery supply: Using twice as many cells per car with limited cell supply would cut the number of cars you could deliver in half. (Thereby increasing costs since you get less volume to spread costs across.)
  • Size: You have to make the vehicle bigger to have somewhere to put all of those batteries.
I am sure there are plenty more reasons.

These are all good points, but all but the first one would be answered by higher density batteries, which are in development, and should be coming to EVs in the next 3-5 years. One of the reasons Tesla cancelled the 520mi range model S was because their next gen battery dev is behind projected progress, and they gained 70-ish miles of range by lightening the car and using better motors (PMSR).

So if we want those 500+ mi EVs we need to push/call for better batteries, not more. As you point out, current EVs are already borderline too heavy.

So magical thinking. Got it. o_O

I don't think that was a fair criticism. Next gen batteries are the future of EVs. Lots of companies are working on better batteries. It's not magical thinking, and this tech WILL come to EVs, fairly soon, but possibly not to Tesla first, as they are very insular (that's good and bad) and prefer to do in-house tech dev, and their "next gen" batteries deliver more incremental improvements, not truly game-changing, unlike some of the tech that I've read about recently.

But if a 1000 mile version in 3 years costs the same as the 300 mile one now. That would mean that the 300 mile one would cost significantly less in three years. So I would still buy the 300 mile variant. (And would have cheaper operating costs as a result.)
If we're talking about Tesla, they would probably cancel the 300mi version if they had a 500-1000 mi range battery. Cycling a 600mi range battery between 30-60% on a daily basis would probably be much healthier for the battery anyway, saving the full range for seldom road trips.

Reactions: Maxim_9 and Zalick
I'd settle for just reaching the EPA figures, if you could realistically get the 300+ miles they rate I think that would help a lot.
I get very close to those EPA figures right now. But I drive in chill mode, only go around the speed limit and never above 70 mph. It does help that I am in Florida which is mostly level and very little need for a heater. However, when I pull my 24 foot pontoon boat, I am down to about 100 miles safely.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Obviously there are already cars with more than 330. But they are bigger than the Model Y.

I can't tell you when it would happen, but I could imagine that Tesla might make a max range Model Y sometime in the future, once they have demand for the existing Model Y met globally. If I were to guess I think it might be possible to have a ~400 mile range Model Y in 4-5 years. You are talking about a ~25% increase in energy storage capacity, and battery capacity technology isn't increasing at a fast pace, I estimate ~5%/year. (But just because they increase cell capacity by 5% doesn't mean that they will still put the same number of cells in the vehicle, they may reduce the number of cells keeping the range mostly the same to reduce costs and allow higher production.)
Take a 5% increase in energy density, with the same capacity, you get a 5% lighter battery, which will give you more range with the same capacity battery. This is essentially what they did with the "100kWh" battery on the Model S with Raven. They kept the same cells, same number of cells, but made the pack lighter with different materials and methods for making the pack. This, plus the PMSR motors and some other minor weight savings, gave the ~11% increase in range.

Reactions: Maxim_9
If we're talking about Tesla, they would probably cancel the 300mi version if they had a 500-1000 mi range battery. Cycling a 600mi range battery between 30-60% on a daily basis would probably be much healthier for the battery anyway, saving the full range for seldom road trips.

Good points above. But do remember that doubling the size of the battery will add a literal TON of weight to the car, impacting everyday efficiency as well as affecting handling, braking, and increasing costs in other unexpected ways like requiring 30% heavier suspension components and beefier tires...

The new Humvee is kinda the example of throwing cubic pounds of lithium at the problem. It has an absurd 210 KWh pack which all by itself weighs the same as an entire level Kia (2900 pounds). This results in a maybe 400 mile real-world range because it's efficiency is now half what a Teslas is (500 Wh/mi). That's not a fair comparison due to the horrible aerodynamics of the Humvee but it does highlight the simply throwing more battery at the problem is not always the simple win one might initially think.

Reactions: seenhear
Good points above. But do remember that doubling the size of the battery will add a literal TON of weight to the car, impacting everyday efficiency as well as affecting handling, braking, and increasing costs in other unexpected ways like requiring 30% heavier suspension components and beefier tires...
Agreed, which is why I indicated these improvements need to come from higher energy density batteries.

Reactions: Maxim_9