Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long until we get a 400+ mile model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lucid, Nio ET7, Polestar 3 suv, bmw says 500 mi couple years away, GAC Aion…

They’re coming…. whats the plan for the model y? You can say “300 is enough” as long as you want, but 400+ isn’t far off for some other brands, and it would be folly to stay at current range indefinitely…. Was just curious if Tesla has any plans…

Reactions: Electroman
I doubt Chinese cars will come to the US anytime soon. But I think you're right - range increases will be coming. I'll bet it'll be the 3 before the Y though. They roughly share the same wheelbase so you can't cram more batteries into one versus the other. Since the 3 is more efficient, it's an easier task.

Lucid, Nio ET7, Polestar 3 suv, bmw says 500 mi couple years away, GAC Aion…

They’re coming…. whats the plan for the model y? You can say “300 is enough” as long as you want, but 400+ isn’t far off for some other brands, and it would be folly to stay at current range indefinitely…. Was just curious if Tesla has any plans…
You left off the price. The Lucid Air GT that is rated for 516, only gets ~436 on the highway, and starts at $154k. The Lucid Air Pure that is rated for 406 miles starts at $87.5k, and will likely only get ~340. Of course, they won't even tell you when you might be able to get a Lucid Air Pure. But really Lucid competes with the Model S, not the Model Y.

So again, what can you buy right now, in the same size class, that gets 400+ EPA miles?

But besides for towing, with the expansion of all of the charging networks I personally don't see the need for a Model Y to be able to go 400-500 miles.

“But besides for towing, with the expansion of all of the charging networks I personally don't see the need for a Model Y to be able to go 400-500 miles.”

Not a need, but convenience, definitely. Are you honestly saying that if I were to offer you a 600 mi range vehicle and a 300 mi one that performed and cost the same (say, 6 years from now) you’d happily take the 300?

Last edited:
Not a need, but convenience, definitely. Are you honestly saying that if I were to offer you a 1000 mi range vehicle and a 300 mi one you’d take the 300?
When the 1000 mile versions costs twice what the 300 mile version does. Yes, Yes I would.

I'm not sure the convenience argument flies. I'm not ever going to drive 1000 miles without stopping for multiple bio breaks, to eat, stretch my legs, etc. (Also, I'm really not interested in getting a DVT.)

I am honestly curious what Tesla will do because they have incentive to cap range / drag feet on range to drive supercharger profit. The fact that they have managed to convince some into thinking that 300 miles is just as good as 1000 miles is fascinating to me.

Driving Supercharger profit is not why they are doing it. There are a number of reasons, for example:
  • Cost: It would cost a lot more to double battery capacity
  • Efficiency: Doubling batter capacity would increase the weight reducing efficiency. So it would cost you more money per mile travelled.
  • Weight: Weight would be increased, requiring upgrading lots of components. Tires, suspension, structure, etc.
  • Battery supply: Using twice as many cells per car with limited cell supply would cut the number of cars you could deliver in half. (Thereby increasing costs since you get less volume to spread costs across.)
  • Size: You have to make the vehicle bigger to have somewhere to put all of those batteries.
I am sure there are plenty more reasons.

(and we are talking about the future here. Assume prices will come down to be equivalent to today, and performance won’t be impacted by undue weight due to battery enhancements)

So magical thinking. Got it. o_O

But if a 1000 mile version in 3 years costs the same as the 300 mile one now. That would mean that the 300 mile one would cost significantly less in three years. So I would still buy the 300 mile variant. (And would have cheaper operating costs as a result.)

Thanks for your reply Mike! I see in your reply why you don’t want more than 300 mile range , but not an answer to the question posited in the thread title?

Unless your answer is “never, 330 is the max and always will be”?
Obviously there are already cars with more than 330. But they are bigger than the Model Y.

I can't tell you when it would happen, but I could imagine that Tesla might make a max range Model Y sometime in the future, once they have demand for the existing Model Y met globally. If I were to guess I think it might be possible to have a ~400 mile range Model Y in 4-5 years. You are talking about a ~25% increase in energy storage capacity, and battery capacity technology isn't increasing at a fast pace, I estimate ~5%/year. (But just because they increase cell capacity by 5% doesn't mean that they will still put the same number of cells in the vehicle, they may reduce the number of cells keeping the range mostly the same to reduce costs and allow higher production.)

Reactions: Zalick
Obviously there are already cars with more than 330. But they are bigger than the Model Y.

I can't tell you when it would happen, but I could imagine that Tesla might make a max range Model Y sometime in the future, once they have demand for the existing Model Y met globally. If I were to guess I think it might be possible to have a ~400 mile range Model Y in 4-5 years. You are talking about a ~25% increase in energy storage capacity, and battery capacity technology isn't increasing at a fast pace, I estimate ~5%/year. (But just because they increase cell capacity by 5% doesn't mean that they will still put the same number of cells in the vehicle, they may reduce the number of cells keeping the range mostly the same to reduce costs and allow higher production.)

For the reasons you stated above, I don't think we will have a Model Y with a 400+ range ever. My money would be on they spend more R&D to get charging faster, more convenient. I'd rather stop every 150 miles, than every 200 miles, and not have a heavier car that burns through tires faster etc. Demand will drive it and I bet demand sweet spot is mid 300s.

Reactions: alexcue and MP3Mike