Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long will the brakes last on a Tesla as compared to a similar ice car ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my first tesla a few months ago, and was curious as to what to expect as far as how many years till I need to replace the pads on my M3 ? (assuming average driving mileage per year )
As long as you use Standard regen and aren't a hard driver, the experiences of Model S owners is that the pads will age out rather than wear out unless you are driving an extremely abnormal number of miles, say more than 50,000/year. As I understand it the adhesive on brake pads is generally considered suspect and unsafe after 5 years.

With the Model 3 especially the calipers are designed to lift the pads off the brake disc when the friction brakes aren't being applied.

Thanks , That is good to know .

I was surprised that my Odyssey's front brakes lasted 6 years , (the back brakes shockingly had to be replaced before the front )

With such a bigger and heavier ice vehicle's front brakes lasting over 5 years , I was originally thinking that double that on the Tesla, should be doable.

I was originally thinking that double that on the Tesla, should be doable.
It is if you're willing to chance the adhesive in the pad not degrading with time, and there have been Model S owners that have just keep the original pads more than 5 years with >200,000miles (specific number escapes my memory). Of course no Model S has yet kept their pads 10 years, as none are that old yet.

I was surprised that my Odyssey's front brakes lasted 6 years , (the back brakes shockingly had to be replaced before the front )

Two primary reasons for that:
1). You didn't flog your Odyssey, as that car's size, weight, and suspension, are not conducive to performance driving.
2). Rear pads get activated by traction control a lot more than the fronts, thus the accelerated wear for the rear axle pads. Unless you track the car, which I am certain you did not with your Ody ;-)

With such a bigger and heavier ice vehicle's front brakes lasting over 5 years , I was originally thinking that double that on the Tesla, should be doable.

As you get practice anticipating and slowing the car down with regen braking, the need for and wear of the physical brake pads is diminished. How much? That depends entirely on your driving style and regional topology.

All things being equal, brake pads of EVs will last longer than those of similarly utilized ICE cars.

YMMV,
a

Reactions: Nocturnal
Figure at least double the life of a similar ICE car.

If you use regeneration wisely you will slow you down to about only 5 MPH before you need to use the peddle. Not only does this reduce brake wear, but it puts that energy back into the battery, saving you $$$

Got my first tesla a few months ago, and was curious as to what to expect as far as how many years till I need to replace the pads on my M3 ? (assuming average driving mileage per year )

Until someone crashes into your car or you crash into someone else's car or you sell the car or your track the car for 2 high speed laps whichever comes first.

I haven't replaced brake pads on a car I've owned in the last 15 years.

Another data point so you all won't be disappointed in ~5 years...

I took my Model S for a provincial safety inspection as I have it up for sale. They say front and rear pads and rotors need replacing. :(. Costs about $2000 CAD. I have 116,000km on the car and it's a hair over 6 years old.

I'm guessing it's from lack of use, although I frequently slow down from ~20km/h using friction brakes and obviously use them here and there on the highway for sudden slowdowns. Definitely a bummer that the brakes don't seem to last any longer than an ICE car.

Another data point so you all won't be disappointed in ~5 years...

I took my Model S for a provincial safety inspection as I have it up for sale. They say front and rear pads and rotors need replacing. :(. Costs about $2000 CAD. I have 116,000km on the car and it's a hair over 6 years old.

I'm guessing it's from lack of use, although I frequently slow down from ~20km/h using friction brakes and obviously use them here and there on the highway for sudden slowdowns. Definitely a bummer that the brakes don't seem to last any longer than an ICE car.

I'm betting it's due to salted winter roads more than anything.