Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long Will You Keep Your MS?

How Long Will You Keep Your MS?

• 4 years or less

Votes: 25 14.7%
  • Between 4 and 8 years

Votes: 66 38.8%
  • 8 years or more

Votes: 79 46.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the MS and 7000 miles in I have had ZERO problems. Leads me to want to buy paint protection, accessories, etc. since I would like to keep it as long as possible. However thinking it through I think I will keep it 4-5 years since I drive 20,000+ miles per year. Buying the extended warranty will add 50k miles to the standard 50k mile warranty. I probably do not want to own out of warranty.

I thought this was a really long term car and used that to justify the high cost when I purchased it in 2017. I love the car, but find myself already having missed out on several changes and upgrades in the short 15 months I've owned it. While I do not have to have EVERY small item or improvement that comes out, if I'm suffering the massive depreciation schedule and I do not have the equipment in the car only 15 months after purchase to run current features it's annoying. I can only assume that around the 4 year mark this will become unbearable for me personally and I'll either upgrade the Tesla or look elsewhere for something that is not constantly being updated. While I love the software updates and new/different features coming out, the obsoleting of hardware sometimes 30 days into ownership is not something I like.

After a MS Signature I drive now since last May 2017 the 2nd MS with dualdrive.
To be honest, I reserved an Audi e-tron. Why - because it is a real SUV and high quality with head-up display etc.
Sorry, but driving fast and streight on it‘s not everything.....

I thought this was a really long term car and used that to justify the high cost when I purchased it in 2017. I love the car, but find myself already having missed out on several changes and upgrades in the short 15 months I've owned it. While I do not have to have EVERY small item or improvement that comes out, if I'm suffering the massive depreciation schedule and I do not have the equipment in the car only 15 months after purchase to run current features it's annoying. I can only assume that around the 4 year mark this will become unbearable for me personally and I'll either upgrade the Tesla or look elsewhere for something that is not constantly being updated. While I love the software updates and new/different features coming out, the obsoleting of hardware sometimes 30 days into ownership is not something I like.

The future of our world is probably going to be very uncomfortable for you.

As long as it's economically feasible. I could see keeping it at least another 20 years. Especially if it becomes FSD capable, but I don't have much faith in that happening. A lot of it depends on if Tesla supports the older cars by supplying parts and service manuals. Hopefully once Tesla is a more established car company they will offer reasonable battery and drive unit upgrades.

I've owned mine since 2013 and it still drives great. I do not travel much out of my city and I work mostly from home nowadays so all the upgrades for driving are not a must have thing for me.It would be nice to have the upgrades, but they are not needed for the type of driving I do. If I was doing a standard 9-5 and did any long distance traveling, I probably would have upgraded by now.
We have a deposit down for a model 3, waiting for them to offer air suspension. However I am also watching the new Audi electric suv and the Porsche Taycan . If Tesla refreshes the MS interior I will probably upgrade to that (dropping my model 3 reservation). However if the Audi or Porsche come out before then, and to really positive reviews, I may end up in one of those.

Until I get sick of it which could be tomorrow or in the next 3 months or next 3 year's who know's. My P85D is near running 5 year's of being on the road (been about 4 and a half, I think). 85D will be gone soon (unless we decide to keep it, once again who know's) and replaced with a leased MS so wife will be getting a new one every 3 year's. I on the other hand will be getting a new one whenever I want (whenever wife allows) .

The future of our world is probably going to be very uncomfortable for you.

While I applaud progress and change, there is a limit to what the human body/mind can adapt to in such short periods of time. Our minds are beings bombarded with faster technological and economic change than ever recorded in history...and our bodies still crave Palio diets from thousands of years ago to simple hikes through the wilderness from the caveman days.

I concur that the pace of change isn’t accelerating however may not be entirely beneficial for a stress free existence.

Change is good...too much is not.

I love the MS and 7000 miles in I have had ZERO problems. Leads me to want to buy paint protection, accessories, etc. since I would like to keep it as long as possible. However thinking it through I think I will keep it 4-5 years since I drive 20,000+ miles per year. Buying the extended warranty will add 50k miles to the standard 50k mile warranty. I probably do not want to own out of warranty.

I would highly, highly expect any new car being sold in america to have had 0 problems within the first 50,000 miles, let alone 7,000 miles

Paint protection never pays for itself, in the sense that you won’t get “that money back” when it comes to selling it. But what you do get is a car that looks new until the day you sell it. That feeling is worth it for me, but again, I’m not telling myself That it will pay for itself.

In 5 years you’ll want a new car. If you could afford a $80k+ car, you won’t want to be driving a half decade old car when your clock ticks over 100k miles

I have received so many significant enhancements since I got my X in Jan, 2017 that it makes me believe I will keep the car for many many years to come.

Auto windshield wipers, greatly improved self driving maps and features, auto lane changing, enhance 0-60 times from 6.1 to 4.9, faster opening/closing Falcon Wing doors, a mesh upper windshield heat/light shield, better performing sound system, auto headlight dimming, many more and closer spaced Superchargers, Summon, Dancing show, Atari games, white board on display, Jingle bell Santa, and of course...More Cowbell!

My delivery at the Factory had the bonus of a guided tour of the Assembly plant. Got to visit my first Mega Supercharger with Coffee Barista Wi-Fi and customer lounge. Got to join my local Tesla Owners Club and enjoy great conversations with other owners and gone on several group cruised and destination events.

I have made money on Tesla stock, enjoyed watching Elon launch rockets, ignite not a flame throwers, see the launch of the new Roadster and had many conversations about the Electrification of personal transportation.

For me, the experience has given me confidence that I will drive this car for a long time, and that the Mercedes will be replaced with another Tesla sooner than planned.

Seeing all the other manufacturers essentially copying what Tesla has done to bring out their own EVs has confirmed to me that Tesla has been on the right track all along.

The problem you're going to run into with a different car is that it'll still fall behind a modern Tesla just as quickly. It'll just start behind a modern Tesla, too.