Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many amps can the Model S pull from a NEMA 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have wired for my HPWC but it will not be available when the car is delivered. The electricians placed a NEMA 14-50 plug for now. Ordinarily this plug would be limited to 40 amps continuous. Will the Model S pull only 40 amps or will it pull 50? How dangerous would it be? It is on a 100 amp breaker.

Later it will be replaced by the HPWC.

By code and by any licensed electrician, you are limited to 40 amps of charging. Legally an electrician can not put a 100 amp breaker on a plug rated 50 amps. That said I have a 70 amp breaker on my NEMA 14-50 and I have successfully pulled 64 amps for hours with no ill effects, my set us is not designed to be pugged into on a normal basis. But that said I know if "inspected" I would have to replace the 70 amp breaker with a 50 to be fully code compliant.

I also suspect the Tesla cord to plug into a NEMA 14-50 will be limited to 40 amps just like the Roadster.

How does it know how many amps it can pull?

I think the Tesla connector tells the car the maximum. On the Roadster (others here will have a better technical explanation), changing the tip on the UMC actually changed the maximum the car will draw accordingly. The Model S one does the same thing with the 120 volt vs. 240 volt tips. I assume this would be true for other tips as well, but I haven't seen them yet.

That is why the breaker needs to be paired correctly. A fire can result!

Pulling more than 40A from a NEMA 14-50 sounds like a bad idea. So, teach me, my friends more geeked than I: I understand a NEMa 14-50 can carry 50A, but that's an over-build so it'll safely carry 40A. So that explains NEMA 14-50. But what do NEMA and 14 mean?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, even a junior-varsity geek can google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

Pulling more than 40A from a NEMA 14-50 sounds like a bad idea. So, teach me, my friends more geeked than I: I understand a NEMa 14-50 can carry 50A, but that's an over-build so it'll safely carry 40A. So that explains NEMA 14-50. But what do NEMA and 14 mean?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, even a junior-varsity geek can google:

NEMA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And for a elementary school geek who can google, I learn our cars are actually electric ranges! :wink:

Aren't you allowed to have two outlets on the same breaker?

NEC 210.21(B)(1): "A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit."
NEC 210.21(B)(3): "Where connected to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, receptacle ratings shall conform to the values listed in Table 210.21(B)(3), or, where rated higher than 50 amperes, the receptacle rating shall not be less than the branch-circuit rating."

The only place where a smaller receptacle rating is allowed versus the branch circuit rating is where 15A receptacles are used on 20A circuits (120V). So, 50A breaker maximum on any circuit that has a NEMA 14-50R attached.

I think the Tesla connector tells the car the maximum. On the Roadster (others here will have a better technical explanation), changing the tip on the UMC actually changed the maximum the car will draw accordingly. The Model S one does the same thing with the 120 volt vs. 240 volt tips. I assume this would be true for other tips as well, but I haven't seen them yet.

Yes, that is correct. When you change plug ends it has a mechanism to tell the UMC to adjust the ampacity signal accordingly.
So the UMC then tells the car not to draw more current than is considered safe for the plug type in use.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the UMC supports more than 40A anyway ? So 40A would also be max on a 14-60 plug ?

For Roadster, yeah, I think 40A was max...
http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster/charging/universal-mobile-connector
So, it puts out 40A signal for NEMA 14-50, NEMA6-50,and lower signals when it detects other plug ends.

So far, it looks like Model S UMC is also 40A max:
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/charging/#/outlet
I don't see any mention of NEMA 14-60 plug support there at all.