Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many kWh can they squeeze into the Model 3...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Red Sage, I'd have to disagree. Owning and driving an EV is a different experience, and insisting competing means it should surpass the range of a full petrol gas tank vehicle is not smart... remember, an EV owner can get a "full tank" every night in the comfort of their own garage. I do realize it's hard for many to change their behavior and expectations...

Much food for though. Maybe you guys are right on your arguments. I can see your POV, specially that the M3 is the "holy grail" for Tesla.
If Tesla in the future only sells M3's, and the M3 is a great product, then they will be alright and right on track with their ultimate goal.

And yet I recall Elon saying something like the MS will always be their flagship and the primary target for new tech, but I can't seam to find that soundbyte.
Tesla will never ONLY sell the M3. They need to put new unexplored features into the MS and MX and get folks to pay for the R&D by buying the car. Then they will roll the feature out to the M≡ or MY ( large scale production ).

Reactions: Red Sage
I'm also in the "the more the better" -bandwagon at this stage, as we (tech in general) have not yet reached the sufficent level of range with electric cars. When I talk with people (on forums not directly related to electric cars) the "lack of range" always pops up. People (not yet owning or interested in electric cars) seem to be very addicted to spend their time moving ahead on the road rather than stationary on "some station" reloading their vehicle. Let alone even worrying about the whole range issue at all when travelling.

If 200-250 miles was "enough" for electric cars, then gazoline cars propably should suffice 20-25miles range compared to the station network and time it takes to "reload" in comparison. Why do we have 500 to 1000km range for cars that can be reloaded in every corner in 2 minutes?

Personally, I'm in line since 31.3. but can't pull the trigger if not close to 350 or so miles. ($20K addition compared to base range is fine). I really hope they CAN AND WILL put that in the M3
Very much agreed on most points, though from a slightly different perspective. When it comes to range, there will of course be a point where 'enough is enough' for most people. I expect that will probably be when you can drive flat-out and cover 350 miles while going from 90% to 20% remaining no matter the weather or terrain and with no regard to posted speed limits. Thus, something like a 500 mile rated range from the EPA would do the trick. The problem is...? Most people would drive the car exactly like that, stopping to fill up every 350 miles or so. If that is the case, they don't really need the 150 mile range reserve they leave 'in the tank' after each run. They could accomplish the same thing effectively in a car with only a 400 mile range instead.

It may well seem that there is a gas station 'on every corner' or on the highway 'every 20-25 miles' but these days that's not really the case. In the big, wide open spaces, gas stations are further apart now than ever before. I literally went several years of travelling without setting foot in New Mexico even once. I'd fill up somewhere East of Tucson AZ and push on through to El Paso TX, or vice versa. Those 'Last Chance GAS!' stations are all but defunct now. I think that a lot of the muscle cars from the early 1970s can't even span the distance between those gas stations anymore. 19 gallon tank, 8 MPG at speed, the car STOPS when the shadow of the needle hints at touching 'E'... You'd either have to carry a Jerry Can or two for emergencies, or plan your stops very carefully. And a lot of the spots out there are NOT open 24 hours any longer. The old timers that decry CAFE regulations never seem to remember how often they used to have to stop for gas.

I once had a car that I could reset the odometer after refueling, set to 85 MPH on the cruise control, and then I wouldn't even start looking for a gas station until I had covered 450 miles. I learned that typically, I'd find one within 50 to 80 miles after that point. It was nice knowing that I could easily cover 500-to-540 miles on a single tank (with room to spare). And it would be very nice to do the same in an electric car. But it wouldn't be absolutely necessary, because no other vehicle I have driven cross-country had anywhere near as good fuel economy or range at speed. A lot of other cars, you need to be in sight of a gas station at 350 miles traveled, or you just might be pushing.

Much food for though. Maybe you guys are right on your arguments. I can see your POV, specially that the M3 is the "holy grail" for Tesla.
If Tesla in the future only sells M3's, and the M3 is a great product, then they will be alright and right on track with their ultimate goal.

And yet I recall Elon saying something like the MS will always be their flagship and the primary target for new tech, but I can't seam to find that soundbyte.
I remember it. That was in response to some that wondered if the Model S would go away if Model ☰ were successful. Elon Musk explained to them, again, that he wants Tesla Motors to be a full line manufacturer of automobiles. Part of that was to maintain a flagship as a leader in the product line. The Model S is that car for Tesla Motors. That said, if demand for Model ☰ ends up being so high that there is no remaining capacity at Fremont to build anything else, I don't think he would mind too much.

Red Sage, I'd have to disagree. Owning and driving an EV is a different experience, and insisting competing means it should surpass the range of a full petrol gas tank vehicle is not smart... remember, an EV owner can get a "full tank" every night in the comfort of their own garage. I do realize it's hard for many to change their behavior and expectations...
There was a quote I had once, let's see if I can find it...

OK, here it is:
"We... We actually have to make a car that's not 'a little bit better' than the competitors. Because if it's only 'a little bit better', then... Then why would customers bother buying it? It has to be a lot better, uh, than... Than any of the existing cars." -- Elon Musk

This is the essence of my 'overkill' philosophy. Yes, there is a such thing as 'enough is enough'... But there is absolutely no such thing as 'too much'. Every single point by which a Naysayer might decide to bring up as a potential 'weakness' for electric cars must be addressed, and demolished.

Understand that no one cares about a weight penalty for adding a 55 gallon reserve tank to diesel dually pickup truck. They just want to get the extra range it provides for the application at hand.

Understand that with the passage of time, there will be no weight penalty for a 150 kWh battery pack, compared to today's 75 kWh battery pack. And that some day, a 300 kWh battery pack will weigh even less. So, having so much potential for range that range simply isn't questioned any longer is a benefit in favor of EVs.

A Model ☰ with the energy capacity equivalent to 5 gallons of fuel will have a range greater than any BMW 3-Series vehicle today. But you aren't going to see BMW increase the fuel tank on a 3-Series to 30 gallons from 15 in response.

Yes, waking up to a 'full tank' every day is awesome. But driving from Los Angeles to El Paso with a single stop in Tucson would be great. And making the same drive with NO stops to recharge in between would be even better. I look forward to the time when a new car rolls off the assembly line in Fremont displaying 6,000 miles range. Why not?

Tesla has already done that. It's called the Model S.

Like I explained earlier, Panasonic has factories in Japan that will continue churning out 18650-cells for some time yet. It's likely that Tesla has agreed to take delivery of these cells for a year or two after the Gigafactory is operational, allowing Panasonic to switch over the Japanese factories to the 21-70 format in their own time. (Or find other customers for them.) Panasonic is unlikely to have agreed to helping Tesla with the Gigafactory if the Gigafactory would render their Japanese factories worthless.
The Model S has crushed Lexus LS, Maserati Quattroporte, Jaguar XJ, BMW 7-Series, AUDI A8 L, and a bunch of other flagship vehicles. They have thus far won two out of three falls against the Mercedes-Benz S-Class for sales dominance in the US. They are likely to make it three out of four by the end of this year.

So what? Those are all low volume competitors. Sure, they have a bloody nose... But Tesla Motors needs to break their backs. They will do that with Tesla Model ☰ by doing what none of them have managed to do in the past 30 years... Offer a car that solidly dethrones the BMW 3-Series as the benchmark for driving and sales in its market. Cadillac ATS, Jaguar XE, Infiniti Q50, Lexus IS, AUDI A4, Alfa Romeo Giulia, Acura TLX, Mercedes-Benz C-Class will all see their best efforts thwarted by a newcomer. One without pistons. One that doesn't use a single drop of gasoline or diesel fuel. One they cannot hope to match, let alone surpass. So their own feeble sales will shrivel further, as someone else settles in to eat market share even as it expands, leaving their cars on lots, and coffers dry. They don't stand a chance. So Tesla Motors shouldn't give them one.

See, Tesla Motors is built differently from traditional automobile manufacturers. Those companies pay their bills by offering low end vehicles, but all they really want to do is sell high end luxury cars. Some of them are embarrassed, even though it is lucrative, that their brand is 'watered down' by selling affordably priced vehicles. Tesla Motors works the other way around. Tesla's high end vehicles exist to support the release and distribution of more affordable cars. Because of that, there is nothing to hold them back from doing just that.

Tesla Motors would like very much to demonstrate to traditional automobile manufacturers that they should switch to fully electric drivetrains for their mass sales. The Model ☰ will show it is possible to do so at high volume in a profitable fashion with a car that is desirable and fun to drive. And by leading the sales charts it will establish that Naysayers are simply WRONG. Further, by offering ever-increasing range at affordable price points, they will show that the path to upgrades is rather straightforward and that consumers appreciate the effort. Tesla Motors is both the carrot and the stick. First showing what can be done and leading the way... While also beating those who lag behind into submission.

Reactions: KeRaSh
I believe that to be a possibility, as the S is approaching 300. If the pricing model follows, a maxed out 3 will certainly look like a nice option for those of us currently looking at a CPO S85D...

Not sure 300 has a huge real world use case, but as for bragging rights, why not...
300 miles EPA is NOT the same as 300 miles real world driving. I wish that it is. Electric car is still at least 10 years away from matching ICE cars in real world range. You need at least 400 miles EPA at absolutely bare minimum to even have a chance. A reasonable expectation is 500 miles EPA to have a real world range of 300 miles plus, which would match ICE cars.

Tesla can make a super-awesome BEV that's really expensive, or they can make a pretty awesome BEV that's affordable. The latter is supposed to be the Model 3, while the former is the Model S.
Wait... The reason why cars like the Toyota RAV4 EV and Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric are not 'pretty awesome' is because those companies would not allow Tesla Motors to make those compliance cars so. It wasn't that they couldn't be -- they were mandated by the companies that commissioned them to be LESS than what they COULD have been. And that was done ON PURPOSE. That is why the RAV4 EV only had 154 HP and was front wheel drive. That is why the B-Class Electric was not a ground up electric vehicle, but a modified ICE chassis instead. At Tesla Motors 'affordable' will NOT equate to low Range or poor Performance.

300 miles EPA is NOT the same as 300 miles real world driving. I wish that it is. Electric car is still at least 10 years away from matching ICE cars in real world range. You need at least 400 miles EPA at absolutely bare minimum to even have a chance. A reasonable expectation is 500 miles EPA to have a real world range of 300 miles plus, which would match ICE cars.
300 miles EPA for ICE is the exact same as 300 miles EPA for electric vehicles. That is the point. There are probably a lot more cars that even today are only about 300 miles range than you expect. And there are considerably fewer vehicles with a 500 mile EPA range than you indicate. Pretty much zero these days that aren't either hybrids or diesels. Whether you drive ICE or EV, going 90+ MPH everywhere you go is going to severely affect your mileage 'in the real world'. Prior to 2012, every gasoline powered BMW 3-Series vehicle in the US had a range of less than 360 miles. And those had larger fuel tanks than the current version.

Unless.... a technology has been already been proven elsewhere ( Other than Tesla) and requires no testing.

In other words... the 300KW inverter will only go into the M≡ a it stands right now. It does not need to be tested in the MS or MX
Well that's because it's already been vetted in the Model S, like, years ago...
Tesla Monterey Event 4A.jpg

This photo is from 2014 or earlier... 320 kW, Baby!

300 miles EPA for ICE is the exact same as 300 miles EPA for electric vehicles. That is the point. There are probably a lot more cars that even today are only about 300 miles range than you expect. And there are considerably fewer vehicles with a 500 mile EPA range than you indicate. Pretty much zero these days that aren't either hybrids or diesels. Whether you drive ICE or EV, going 90+ MPH everywhere you go is going to severely affect your mileage 'in the real world'. Prior to 2012, every gasoline powered BMW 3-Series vehicle in the US had a range of less than 360 miles. And those had larger fuel tanks than the current version.
I have tested a couple of ICE cars before in long road trips that consistently get over 300 miles (real world) per tank even after very aggressive driving and at very high speed (aggressive acceleration throughout and 85 mph for most part of the trip). And my cars are not even those big SUV and pickup where it typical has even more real world range. If the longest range Tesla (90D Model S) is driven the same way, you would be lucky to get 180 miles in real world range.

I have never seen EPA range in an ICE being advertised, but if there is really such thing as ICE EPA range. I wondering why ICE vs Electric EPA range would yield consistently very different results in the real world range. 180 miles real world vs 300 miles real world is very different result if both are claiming the same 300 miles EPA range.

I have tested a couple of ICE cars before in long road trips that consistently get over 300 miles (real world) per tank even after very aggressive driving and at very high speed (aggressive acceleration throughout and 85 mph for most part of the trip). And my cars are not even those big SUV and pickup where it typical has even more real world range. If the longest range Tesla (90D Model S) is driven the same way, you would be lucky to get 180 miles in real world range.

I have never seen EPA range in an ICE being advertised, but if there is really such thing as ICE EPA range. I wondering why ICE vs Electric EPA range would yield consistently very different results in the real world range. 180 miles real world vs 300 miles real world is very different result if both are claiming the same 300 miles EPA range.
Well, that's why I gave you a link to the DoE/EPA website, so you could see the combined EPA rated range for the gas burning BMW ICE vehicles noted. Trust that if you drive either of them at 90+ MPH on the highway their range will be greatly reduced. The Monroney sticker is not advertisement. It is an official document required by law. The information it provides in terms of mileage is specific to operating a vehicle in a controlled circumstance under specific provisions that are identical from one vehicle to the next. None of those involve mashing the accelerator to the floorboards for two or three hours straight. Because in the real world, people get pulled over by Smokey and cited or jailed for doing that and stuff. To put it another way... Drain the gas tank in one of those vehicles to around 2.5 gallons of fuel left, then see how far you can go when mashing the [FLOCK] out of the accelerator. I guarantee you the Model S 90D will go further.

I once had a car that I could reset the odometer after refueling, set to 85 MPH on the cruise control, and then I wouldn't even start looking for a gas station until I had covered 450 miles. I learned that typically, I'd find one within 50 to 80 miles after that point. It was nice knowing that I could easily cover 500-to-540 miles on a single tank (with room to spare). And it would be very nice to do the same in an electric car. But it wouldn't be absolutely necessary, because no other vehicle I have driven cross-country had anywhere near as good fuel economy or range at speed. A lot of other cars, you need to be in sight of a gas station at 350 miles traveled, or you just might be pushing.

Last edited:
OK. And given all those reasons and others, I'd only allow the 100 kWh battery pack capacity to be specified for the Performance iteration of the car. Sorted.
It's only sorted if your Performance model would have a different chassis, different suspension, different brakes, different tires, different cable harness, different charger, etc. You'd basically be talking about a completely different car, if the 100 kWh pack were to have no negative effects on the base model.

Once again, the competition of the Tesla Model ☰ is not the Chevrolet BOLT. It is instead the BMW 3-Series and similarly marketed vehicles. So, the Model ☰ must in some iteration match or surpass the range of those direct competitors. Cars like: AUDI S4 (338 miles), BMW M3 (300 miles), Cadillac ATS-V (304 miles), and Mercedes-Benz C63 S (360 miles). If Tesla Motors can do it, they SHOULD. A Tesla Model ☰ P100D WOULD.
Tesla definitely *shouldn't* try to exceed the ranges of gas cars, just for the sake of doing it.

Tesla should assess what range people actually are willing to pay for, then offer that. Pushing a 100 kWh battery on people with the Performance version, when they neither need nor want such a big battery, is bad for business. That additional 5k USD on top of what would be a BMW M3-killer will reduce sales of the Model 3 performance, reduce margins, and ultimately jeapordize the company.

Last edited:
It's only sorted if your Performance model would have a different chassis, different suspension, different brakes, different tires, different cable harness, different charger, etc. You'd basically be talking about a completely different car, if the 100 kWh pack were to have no negative effects on the base model.
As noted in other posts...? I believe that a 100 kWh battery pack for Model ☰ would occupy about 71% of the volume that the 85 kWh battery pack for Model S did in 2012. It's mass and weight would be proportional to that as well. Thus, if one presumes the volume of the battery pack for Model ☰ is approximately 80% that of the Model S one, I'm certain the Model ☰ could be properly engineered to bear that weight without issue from the outset. Notice, I tend to use the phrase 'higher capacity' as opposed to 'bigger battery'. I believe the standard issue battery pack enclosure for Model ☰ will be adequate to hold a 100 kWh capacity without further enhancement. But I would not offer that capacity in a rear wheel drive car, or a non-Performance iteration, so as to fend off purchases by those who are NOT in search of a Performance car (or claim not to be).

As noted in other posts...? I believe that a 100 kWh battery pack for Model ☰ would occupy about 71% of the volume that the 85 kWh battery pack for Model S did in 2012. It's mass and weight would be proportional to that as well. Thus, if one presumes the volume of the battery pack for Model ☰ is approximately 80% that of the Model S one, I'm certain the Model ☰ could be properly engineered to bear that weight without issue from the outset. Notice, I tend to use the phrase 'higher capacity' as opposed to 'bigger battery'. I believe the standard issue battery pack enclosure for Model ☰ will be adequate to hold a 100 kWh capacity without further enhancement. But I would not offer that capacity in a rear wheel drive car, or a non-Performance iteration, so as to fend off purchases by those who are NOT in search of a Performance car (or claim not to be).
I have no doubt that it is possible to engineer the Model 3 to fit a 100 kWh battery, the question is if they should.

Going from your own math, an 80 kWh pack would only need to be around 60% of the size of the 85 kWh pack. A pack of this size will take up less space, it will weigh less in the 55 kWh configuration, and it will be cheaper. Tesla needs to make the Model 3 as attractive as possible to buyers, and the best way to do that is offer as much car as possible at as low a price as possible.

And is an 80 kWh pack enough to make an amazing performance version of the Model 3? Yes - the 90 kWh pack can output about 500 kW at the battery, and an 80 kWh pack should then be able to output about 440 kW. That means the Model 3 performance should be able to put around 250 kW on the rear wheels and around 100 kW on the front wheels at the same time. (Assuming 20% losses.) That's a lot in a car weighing maybe 4000 lb. Effectively, given the max torque at 0 RPM and no gear box, we're talking something like twice as good as a BMW M3. The car would likely be traction limited up to around 50 mph.

Last edited:
Range is not an issue anymore. Listen to 34:00 - 35:00 - And I agree 10000%
I have to drive this route often in the near future, when my kid goes to college. There are no superchargers along this route (inconveniently in this case, there is one in my home town, but that doesn't help me). Thats a ~300 mile round trip with no charging opportunities. That's through the Appalachian mountains, and often in bad weather. I'd really like to be able to make this trip on a single charge. Adding a supercharger along the route would make it possible, but adding 20-30 minutes to the trip isn't appealing. So I'd like an EPA-rated 400 mile range, but given Musk's comments on the topics, I worry that it simply won't be offered.
It is a car that was designed with an 8-year product cycle in mind
I've never heard this. Do you have a source for that statement? I was always under the impression that Tesla would just upgrade things whenever they damn well feel like it. ;)

Reactions: jkk_
You are stating that it's not enought since there aren't supercharger.. but we should start to think that you don't need to make a car with a miles based on the current layout of the supercharger but based on the supercharger in 3-4 years .. i'm considering that for a couple of year we could have some suboptimal driving due to the lack of supercharger/infrastructure that will be made available by tesla/other car maker in 2020, and of course, more sold car means more money for expanding the supercharger network.
So, based on that, i would say that 300 miles would be super since you'll probably have a supercharger every 150miles or less

You are stating that it's not enought since there aren't supercharger..
I was conflating two points. One is that this trip will be impossible in a 300-mile range Tesla without a supercharger being added, and as you've stated, that will hopefully be addressed at some point.

But more important to me, I don't want to stop for 20-30 minutes during this round-trip to supercharge. I want to drive 2.5 hours to get there, unload my kid & his stuff, maybe stop somewhere for a bite to eat (no destination chargers in the area either), and then get my ass back home. I wouldn't be very happy to have to extend my trip, but that's the type of tradeoff I would have to end up making. Would I rather drive those 310 miles on electricity, or have an extra 30 minutes of my day?

Reactions: jkk_
Model ☰ 75D
$42,000 base price
280 to 310 miles range
Free for Life Supercharger access included
Up to $15,000 of other options available beyond base configuration​

A 75D with SC for life, for $42,000!? Yes, please!!

Are you aware that this is the internet and seeing reason and listening to another persons POV is frowned upon? :D

• Disagree
Reactions: Red Sage