Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many kWh does your battery actually have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a long trip today, taking the car from 100% full to 11% before charging.

As I watched the trip counter and the percentage charge remaining I got to doing the maths in my head and if the percentage is close to accurate and the kWh on the trip counter is too I have a capacity of approximately 63-64 kWh depending on rounding errors on a two year old Model S 75.

My googling suggests a 75 should have about 72kWh usable and I'm way under that.

My Wh/Mi seems to match it as I did 289Wh/Mi and got about 220 miles from the car, Calculates out to 63.6 kWh.

Has anyone else done this test, do you know what capacity your car actually has?

I'm trying to work out how to ask Tesla this question as all that text doesn't fit in the app :)

(If you want to test, fill your car to 100% full and drive a decent distance (100 miles) and not the kWh used and the percentage of charge remaining. Divide the kWh by (1-Percentage remaining)

I was 35.4 kWh used 44% remaining (0.44) so 35.4/(1-0.44) = 63.2 if someone wants to check my maths)

I do similar calculations as a new owner of a LR+ but not to ask Tesla, but rather to understand and know what my travel will be, that is what I can do safely and not get stuck between Superchargers. The first step I took is to never use the advertised range of the car or 390 miles. But rather use 90% as my maximum range per charge for a trip- I think of my car as 351 miles range. Then for best efficiency at the Supercharger, look for 35% of that as my travel between Supercharger points or about 130 miles. Now these numbers make me safe and shorten the total trip time sitting at a supercharger because I discovered the tapering begins to slow the charge rate at 35%.

While at home I operate in the lower 50% on Superchargers since it's free and if I need to boost to 100% overnight at home to recalibrate the computer I do the final 30% at home where I have to pay electric. My nearest Supercharger is about 6 miles from the house.

Not precise numbers but you get the idea. I figure starting the trip with 100% on my overnight charge and then using the lower third of the total capacity between Superchargers.

Since I'm new at this, I'm open to any better ideas on being safe and better efficiency. Now having said that what works for older Model S may be different for newer Model S.

So this is your full pack ~62kW for Model S 75
how many miles did you drive from 100% to 11%?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200330-153628.jpg
    Screenshot_20200330-153628.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 403
I drove from 100% to 1% (it rolled from 2 to 1% as I pulled into the alley) today. All in 1 day. I have a October 2019 MS LR. How is this even close to a 100 KWH pack?View attachment 543732
surprised you were able to get to 100% since the battery is capped at 98%......on the Plus, that means that your full charge would be ~383 miles.....at 90% you would show ~351.....those figures do not include any drain or other phantom drain

I drove from 100% to 1% (it rolled from 2 to 1% as I pulled into the alley) today. All in 1 day. I have a October 2019 MS LR. How is this even close to a 100 KWH pack?View attachment 543732
I'm pretty sure Tesla sold you a 100 kWh battery (sold me one too. 2020 MS performance. October 2019 build). The problem seems to be that 100 kWh are not really available. I recently did two identical round trips. Didn't take careful notes on the first one so I paid a little more attention on trip #2. Drove 130.9 actual miles and used an indicated 32.3 kWh for an average of 247 kW/mile (which was what the instrument cluster displayed. The car used actual miles driven, not the rated miles of range used of 121 miles, in calculating kWh/mi). I left at 80% and returned at 44%. So using 36% of my battery capacity, 32.3 kWh, results in a calculated capacity of 90 kWh. Pretty close to what you experienced. But a lot of what is displayed doesn't make sense. The energy graph, showing 241 kW/mi over the last 30 miles, showed 176 miles remaining. 44kWh remaining at 241 kW/mi calculates to 183 miles remaining (so pretty close to what the car predicted). Problem is that this doesn't square up with the 36% of capacity used. Based on that way of measuring battery capacity/usage I should have only 39.5 kWh remaining, or about 164 miles.

Supposedly Tesla locks out some of the upper portion of the battery and some of the lower portion to protect the battery, allow for degradation,.... The net result seems to be that in the real world 90% is available. Come on Tesla Tap, explain what the car is reporting.

Trip was on an upper 60's low 70's day, no HVAC used, regen barely limited and only for 10 minutes so minimal battery heating, sunny so no lighting. Can't find much area for energy consumption other than moving the car down the road. Just under 3,000 miles.

Last edited:
Tesla didn’t sell you a 100kwh pack, they sold you a “long range” car with 370 miles of EPA rated range when new.

12,000 miles later you got ~340 miles from a full charge, including some number of stops throughout the day (how many discrete trips, how long was the car sitting for?).

Real world driving conditions over the course of a whole day gave you ~92% of EPA rated range, which is pretty fantastic for basically any other vehicle on the road today.

What is it you’re expecting to see?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Tesla didn’t sell you a 100kwh pack, they sold you a “long range” car with 370 miles of EPA rated range when new.

12,000 miles later you got ~340 miles from a full charge, including some number of stops throughout the day (how many discrete trips, how long was the car sitting for?).

Real world driving conditions over the course of a whole day gave you ~92% of EPA rated range, which is pretty fantastic for basically any other vehicle on the road today.

What is it you’re expecting to see?
No, Tesla sold the car as a 100 kWh battery equipped car. jal has an indicated capacity of 88 kWh+/- a kWh. That's implies a degradation of 12% in 12,000 miles. Not likely. It is much more likely that the total capacity is just not available.

I’ve been around long enough to know that I didn’t buy a 100 kWh pack and Tesla stopped badging them as such to avoid questions just like this. But I want to remember Jason Hughes’ teardown showed actually 102 kWh. I know there’s a cap and I know I’ve had a little degradation but that seemed like a lot to me.

And to previous comments, I have charged to 100% a few times now and it does actually say 100% not 98%. And yesterday was a 157 mile drive to the fishing hole, a few miles to another one, then another, then 157 miles back home. It was mid sixties so no unusual power consumption.

For a battery with a 102 kWh when-new capacity, it just seemed like a lot to be reduced by is all

I’ve been around long enough to know that I didn’t buy a 100 kWh pack and Tesla stopped badging them as such to avoid questions just like this. But I want to remember Jason Hughes’ teardown showed actually 102 kWh. I know there’s a cap and I know I’ve had a little degradation but that seemed like a lot to me.

And to previous comments, I have charged to 100% a few times now and it does actually say 100% not 98%. And yesterday was a 157 mile drive to the fishing hole, a few miles to another one, then another, then 157 miles back home. It was mid sixties so no unusual power consumption.

For a battery with a 102 kWh when-new capacity, it just seemed like a lot to be reduced by is all
The 100 kWh cars I have seen show more like 93 kWh usable with SMT as this one for example:

screenshot_20190630-121422-png.428618

The 100 kWh cars I have seen show more like 93 kWh usable with SMT as this one for example:
And when I looked at teslafi this AM it said I used 91.22 kWh. I also have about 3% degredation. So 91.22 / 0.99 / .97 is 94.99. That’s more like it.

it was pretty exciting doing the last leg! I ended up turning off climate control and my lights, turning on range mode for whatever, and driving stupid slow behind a semi. Made it though!

Gents, you just do not understand the tool you are using. Pack has the capacity you were promised, calculate it yourself. Set the % display, open the consumption tab. Now: (avg consumption * range remaining) / soc % in the form 0.5 for example (meaning 50% soc). The result is Watt hours in your pack.

The ‘used kWh’ display is just wrong. Forget it when it comes to these calculations.

• Helpful
Reactions: ucmndd and Rocky_H