Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many moving parts in a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably correct with regards to the drivetrain - 18 moving parts on a Tesla drivetrain, vs. 2000 in a typical ICE drivetrain.

Agreed, there are plenty more parts that move that could break on the rest of the car, but those are a common denominator between an EV and an ICE.
I agree. 18 is a simplistic fudge, which probably accurately describes the drivetrain. As stated elsewhere, the impressive and accurate details are that the motor itself has only 1 moving part - the rotor - vastly different than an ICE; AND that a electric motor is so versatile that it does not need a transmission.

And no gas tank, no fuel pump, no turbos.... no mufflers, no catalytic converters ... no distributors, no spark plugs .. list goes on

I believe the Model S has a scroll compressor for AC.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, then, shall we count the reciprocating parts in a Model S?

-- Air compressor for HVAC system
-- Air compressor for air suspension (which is an option, of course)
-- Compressor for brakes (for older cars, new cars don't)

I think that's three examples of piston motion. Or is Tesla using non-reciprocating compressor designs for these?

I believe the model S has a scroll compressor for AC.

There are some things about induction motors which might not be obvious:
1. The rotor is a large rotating mass with only two bearings. Any imbalance or shaft bending is going to stress the bearings periodically. If the stator windings or rotor bars are not exactly symmetrical or the three phase AC drive current not balanced then there will be unbalanced magnetic force acting on the rotor - more bearing stress.
2. All the motor torque is transmitted by the rotor bars to the rotor core, and the torque reaction is applied be the stator windings to the stator slots. The instantaneous torque varies with the AC drive frequency, so the stator winding are being rattled around at 50 Hz to 400 Hz. They had better be wedged in there tightly.

Also the electrical circuits (bus bars, fuses, HV joints, IGBTs, contactors, etc.) are subject to thermal cycling as the driver's right foot operates the accelerator pedal.

All these parts (and more) are not moving, but they are still subject to cyclic stress - this is what causes failure. A moving part not subject to a lot of stress will last forever.

What I've been wondering - does having regen at standard/high/possibly off have any appreciable effect on motor wear and tear?
I wonder if people with drive Unit replacements tend to use high?

Saw this advertisement in local county paper for an upcoming EV event: (so I had to check here on TMC)

"Did you know?...Tesla vehicles have approximately 18 moving parts compared to a standard automobile, which has more than 2,000 moving parts. This is why electric vehicles are less costly to maintain. Electric cars are 90% efficient compared to standard automobiles."