Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a day of reservation dual motor FSD holder and I have a tri motor FSD reservation before they raised FSD to 10k.

I probably will not go through with my order. For these reasons:
  • No stalks
  • Weird steering wheel
  • No 6th seat
  • Not affordable like promised
  • What I really want is a true SUV and it seems like the R1S fits that bill.
1) No Tesla will have stalks in the future
2) No Tesla will have a normal steering wheel in the future
3) Valid point, I had a 6th seat in my Silverado and used it 5% of the time, was super nice when I needed it but not a deal breaker
4) I quiver at the thought of the price, extremely valid point
5) R1S is awesome, I really hope Rivian can survive, I still would argue that the charging network is a concern though. The Supercharger network is a massive moat for Tesla. And see #4, the R1S will be more than the Cybertruck so I'll invalidate your price argument with this point.

And see #4, the R1S will be more than the Cybertruck so I'll invalidate your price argument with this point.
That's not what Elon said. He said it would "not be affordable".

I take that to mean $80k to $120k.

If I'm going to spend $80k I'd rather get an R1S which is way more useable to me and is much nicer equipped. I really wanted a true SUV anyways.

The Supercharger network is a massive moat for Tesla.
Tesla is opening it up so moat is drying up. This is good. Imagine only one gas station working for your car.

Tesla is opening it up so moat is drying up. This is good. Imagine only one gas station working for your car.
We'll see.

There are like 10 magic docks now...at this pace it will be open in 2030.

Also, they seemed to infer that only some new sites would get them.

Edit: 3,500 total according to the White House. That's out of 17,000 SCs and that's not including new SCs.

That's not what Elon said. He said it would "not be affordable".

I take that to mean $80k to $120k.

If I'm going to spend $80k I'd rather get an R1S which is way more useable to me and is much nicer equipped. I really wanted a true SUV anyways.

Agree with your point about the R1S pricing, I'm really hoping we get actual Cybertruck pricing soon.

As for the network opening up, that will be a while and there will always be legacy superchargers that only work with Tesla's

Reactions: cdub
Hopefully the Truck will have a built in Brake Controller separate from the computer interface.

Completely agree. Doesn't look like it now, but obviously that's not the final version. If it is added it's likely where ever they are going to put the physicals gear buttons, that are a requirement without stalks.
Rivian's is on the steering wheel.

cKxvmcW.jpg

BVGH8wO.jpg

Does the Rivian give you a percentage of trailer braking. Like 30% trailer braking 40% trailer braking?
Something like this
Don't know. I did a google search. Sept 21 manual: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/attachments/r1t-owners-guide-pdf.9166/?force-system-browser=1

I didn't see this in the manual but I think from a couple of videos it does not use the trailer brakes with doing normal regen (max range thing I guess). Not clear if using the steering wheel is the only override to this (manual mention below).

7JFGn7C.jpg

rvkQpOI.jpg

As long as the finances work out, I'm planning on taking delivery ~2025, when my reservation comes up. I will need to test drive it first, to check visibility from the driver's seat and to make sure that the four-wheel steering makes it less of a beast to drive/park than a standard crew cab pickup truck.
I reserved the second reservations opened, so I think I'll get mine pretty early.

I already have a three and a y so I'm thinking I'm mostly going to put the Cyber truck on turo for a side gig.

I think people will pay big money to rent the cybertruck.
In 2018 I rented my M3 and it worked out great. I definitely noticed that people rented the M3 when it was new to show off to their friends.

they would rent it for one day in order to take it to a party.

The same thing will happen with a cyber truck only more so.. I'm guessing to start, $300 a day is what a cyber truck will run for. In 2018 and 2019 m3s were renting for up to $150 a day now they're down to about $65.

I reserved a Cybertruck the day it was announced. Primarily attracted by the low price. I'm not a truck person. Never owned a pick-up.
I need to replace my 23 year old Land Rover which will die sooner rather than later.
My daughter bought a R1S (SUV) and loves it. I've driven it and I like it. My wife likes it much better than the Cybertruck. I think I'd rather have an SUV. The price of the Cybertruck is up in the air (literally) so no longer an attraction.
Not thrilled with Elon's antics with Twitter.
I reserved a Rivian R1S. Expected delivery early next year. I think I'll buy that instead of the Cybertruck.

I reserved a Cybertruck the day it was announced. Primarily attracted by the low price. I'm not a truck person. Never owned a pick-up.
I need to replace my 23 year old Land Rover which will die sooner rather than later.
My daughter bought a R1S (SUV) and loves it. I've driven it and I like it. My wife likes it much better than the Cybertruck. I think I'd rather have an SUV. The price of the Cybertruck is up in the air (literally) so no longer an attraction.
Not thrilled with Elon's antics with Twitter.
I reserved a Rivian R1S. Expected delivery early next year. I think I'll buy that instead of the Cybertruck.
I'm the same 100%. Although the price of the 3 and Y are very nice. I might just replace both of our aging cars with a standard 3 and lr Y for the price of one Rivian. I love the R1S. Wish it was cheaper though.

Reactions: israndy