Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its true… an ICE doesn’t magically refill itself over night….. but you can fill it up the night before you leave. The “wake up” to a “full tank” is hilarious. A 5 min stop before you get home and you’re set.

But I like that we all agree that charging and waiting is not a big deal.

In conclusion, the SC network ashould not play a big factor on your EV choice. It should be considered but not necessary. Like I said, CCS networks are getting better by the day. Circle K has received great reviews and ChargePoint IMO will overtake EA soon. The SC network will slowly open up to all CCS.

I would agree with all of that except for the SC Network opening up to all ccs. I think Tesla will do the absolute minimum they have to. Kind of their history. And, really there's no advantage to them unless they're getting money from somewhere. Neither, is an advantage to the other companies. If they got off their dead asses and just went for the ncas, all of this would go away! But, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Too much pride! Okay, and maybe money too. Nobody wants to give any more to tesla!

I would agree with all of that except for the SC Network opening up to all ccs. I think Tesla will do the absolute minimum they have to. Kind of their history. And, really there's no advantage to them unless they're getting money from somewhere. Neither, is an advantage to the other companies. If they got off their dead asses and just went for the ncas, all of this would go away! But, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Too much pride! Okay, and maybe money too. Nobody wants to give any more to tesla!

Tesla would be smart in opening them up but charging more for non-Teslas. In a pinch those non Teslas would use them IMO

I agree. Also, do non Teslas automatically plan your trip and route you to chargers as needed? When I test drove the EV6 i couldn't figure out how to do that and the sales person said it can't. This would be an automatic non starter for my wife and people like her that don't want the extra complexity of figuring out where to charge mid trip, how the different payment systems work, etc.

Reactions: SO16
Its true… an ICE doesn’t magically refill itself over night….. but you can fill it up the night before you leave. The “wake up” to a “full tank” is hilarious. A 5 min stop before you get home and you’re set.

But I like that we all agree that charging and waiting is not a big deal.

In conclusion, the SC network ashould not play a big factor on your EV choice. It should be considered but not necessary. Like I said, CCS networks are getting better by the day. Circle K has received great reviews and ChargePoint IMO will overtake EA soon. The SC network will slowly open up to all CCS.
The charging network should absolutely play a crucial role in your EV choice. It is essential for traveling out of your EV's range.
Tesla has the largest charging network.
Other networks are small (but growing) and less reliable. Tesla is also slowly opening up its network. YMMV

The charging network should absolutely play a crucial role in your EV choice. It is essential for traveling out of your EV's range.
Tesla has the largest charging network.
Other networks are small (but growing) and less reliable. Tesla is also slowly opening up its network. YMMV

If it’s “crucial” than an EV might not be the right choice, unless your constantly charging away from home then does an EV really become the vehicle of choice with so many great ICE options?

I didn’t even think twice about the Charging Network when purchasing my Lightning. It’s secondary to me. Like I said I used the Tesla SC network maybe 5 times in 3 years because of cost and inconvenience.

It’s a must? Travel where exactly? Daily commute? Grocery store? Or that trip you take once in a blue moon.

Is Tesla the only choice even though that network will be available to all….
There are quite a few people who use SC often. Looking at my history I've spent $1,493 on SC this year and I don't use my car for travel as much as many people I know.

Charging speed, SC network, and actual real world range are in the top 5 things when deciding on an EV and why I won't buy another EV that's not a Tesla as of now.

There are quite a few people who use SC often. Looking at my history I've spent $1,493 on SC this year and I don't use my car for travel as much as many people I know.

Charging speed, SC network, and actual real world range are in the top 5 things when deciding on an EV and why I won't buy another EV that's not a Tesla as of now.

I mean I don’t disagree that a Tesla should be everyone’s starter EV. With a Tesla you can see the potential and the best parts of an EV. At the same time, other EV’s are not far behind and at times provide a better driving experience….. notice I said driving.

I mean I don’t disagree that a Tesla should be everyone’s starter EV. With a Tesla you can see the potential and the best parts of an EV. At the same time, other EV’s are not far behind and at times provide a better driving experience….. notice I said driving.
I've said here before that FSD Beta is another reason that I LOVE Teslas and it makes my driving easier, fun, and stress free...but if the charging speeds, network, range, and ADAS were comparable from another brand...I could live without the rattles and suspension of my MY. I absolutely love my Model S, but the MY just feels cheap and it wasn't in price.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
I've said here before that FSD Beta is another reason that I LOVE Teslas and it makes my driving easier, fun, and stress free...but if the charging speeds, network, range, and ADAS were comparable from another brand...I could live without the rattles and suspension of my MY. I absolutely love my Model S, but the MY just feels cheap and it wasn't in price.

A Model S is what I want eventually…. I was getting closer with the price drops and then **poof**

Reactions: uscbucsfan
A Model S is what I want eventually…. I was getting closer with the price drops and then **poof**
It's a great car. Still not as tight as something like a Mercedes, but way way better than the 3/Y. I really like that I can get over 300 miles on a charge at interstate speeds and I do, fairly often.

I hope the CT isn't a rattle trap, they don't skimp on range, and there are options for things like the front screen that the S/X have.

yeah... I much rather be monitored by a camera and allowed to do hands-free than being forced to touch wheel and/or put noticeable pressure on it every so often or get nagged by the system....
And I actually prefer the opposite. I like to feel what the car is doing on the highway and can react quicker to an issue if already have hand on wheel. Once driver assist is good enough that it can dodge debris and pot holes reliably, then I’ll feel differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: TessP100D
You would need to stop to fill up at the start of your trip. Gas car doesn’t magically fill up while you sleep. Same for the return home. If there is a destination charger you are waking up with 100% charge. Gas car you would have to stop again to fill up.

so right off the bat you are saving time each way. And 5 hrs without stopping for a bathroom break? I’m stopping anyways on a 5hr trip to use the bathroom and stretch out a bit, so charging while I pee doesn’t waste anytime for me.
EVs are not for people that prefer to do cannonball run style trips. But I certainly don’t enjoy that style of road tripping. I’d take my Model S on a road trip any day over any gas car I’ve owned or been in.

Are we basing the entire CCS fleet on the ability of a Porsche? That's all I'm saying, maybe the Hyund_i would be good if the battery were bigger. I'm on a two week road trip in my 3 and what a dream to drive long distances
What difference which car it is? I’ve done it in both a Porsche and a Ford. The cars ability isn’t a reflection in the charging network. I’m not portraying CCS as capable as the Tesla network but would debate the ability to road trip in a car that charges on the CCS network.

On a side note I am driving my MYP from Tallahassee to NJ later today.

Reactions: henderrj

Wait… you pay for super charging? You mean you don’t get that luxury for free? I do.

Wow. FSD is a scam.

What difference which car it is? I’ve done it in both a Porsche and a Ford. The cars ability isn’t a reflection in the charging network. I’m not portraying CCS as capable as the Tesla network but would debate the ability to road trip in a car that charges on the CCS network.

On a side note I am driving my MYP from Tallahassee to NJ later today.
Simply just because it is technically possible does not mean that it is tolerable and not painful (length of time, queue, etc) for all those involved dealing with charging stops. Example below is Avg Charge Rate (kW) [ time at charging spots].
Imagine a long road trip in the Hyundai Ioniq 5 vs Hyundia Kona Electric.

Personally, I'm wondering how road trips in a Cybertruck will compare to a LR TMX or LR TMY since the wh/mi (miles per hour charging speed) will be very different.

state-of-recharge-infographic-1660825857.jpg