Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cybertruck is up in the air (literally) so no longer an attraction.
Not thrilled with Elon's antics with Twitter.
I reserved a Rivian R1S. Expected delivery early next year. I think I'll buy that instead of the Cybertruck.

I will reserve judgement until:
  1. Final price points are released.
  2. I test drive the CT.
Definitely not buying it sight unseen, nor at any price.
The most likely alternatives are either R1T or R1S.

Lots of Rivian interest in this thread. Candidly I like the Rivian pickup a lot but I just don't have faith that the company will be around and stay in business at this point.
I actually think Rivian will make it. The vehicles are great and they can lean on the Amazon money in the meantime.

Lucid is the one that makes no sense to me.

I actually think Rivian will make it. The vehicles are great and they can lean on the Amazon money in the meantime.

I agree on Rivian staying power - lots of them around my neighborhood, and all new Amazon delivery EVs are build by Rivian, with plenty more business to come from the same customer for years to come.

Lucid should also make it.
Their product is fantastic (test drove it the other day) and is head and shoulders above Model S in numerous categories. Lucid EV drivetrain is even better and more efficient than Tesla's.
Lucid is backed by Saudi sovereign fund (PIF), which is not known for either backing down, nor running out of funds.

Competition improves the breed.
The more the merrier!

a

P.S.: "I like the car but not sure if company will make it" is what everyone used to say about Tesla a few years ago. Don't spread FUD about other EV manufacturers, unless you really have some inside info!

Lots of Rivian interest in this thread. Candidly I like the Rivian pickup a lot but I just don't have faith that the company will be around and stay in business at this point.
Rivian is in a precarious spot trying to ramp up production and new models (expensive) before it runs out of money.
I think they are doing everything right and I hope they will succeed but there is a genuine risk.
I think having Amazon as a funder will help them and they say they have mapped a path to profitability next year.
Kind of reminds me of the early days of Tesla where they almost went bankrupt several times but managed to pull through.
I have a reservation for an R1S which is supposed to be delivered next year. I think by then we'll have a better idea of their chances for success.
They delivered 25,000 last year and say they can deliver 50,000 this year. If they do that, they will have a fair amount of inertia to keep them going.

I might have saved a bit if I had waited on my Model 3 but I wouldn't be grandfathered into the premium connectivity and I wouldn't have been part of the early Tesla customer experience. I got many MS loaners over the years and there was even a service center at the factory when I got my car. And they stopped making my 77kWh RWD road trip car. Glad I jumped when I did.

Reactions: scottf200
Rivian is in a weird spot. Anybody can buy a R1T truck from the inventory as they have hundreds available. Like I said in a different thread, EV truck demand is finite. Anybody serious about towing a boat or horses is buying an ICE truck or a Sequoia.

R1S demand is much greater… 70% of Rivian orders are for the SUV and the R1 shop barely has any and wait times are still a year plus for a new order. Lightnings are sitting on lots unsold too. The demand for $80-90K EV trucks is pretty small and probably at the limit. Tesla needs to undercut the competition.

Lightnings are sitting on lots unsold too. The demand for $80-90K EV trucks is pretty small and probably at the limit. Tesla needs to undercut the competition.
Ford's dealer model is to blame for some of this. Once you configure your Lightning on Ford's website and get a "price" it goes to the dealer, and they can mark it up to whatever they want, and they do. You have no way of knowing what that number is until you it "submit" on your order, then you get a new quote from the dealer, and it can be 10-20% more than you budgeted for. When you "cancel" you have to do that at the dealer(i.e. refuse delivery) but the car is already "sold" to the dealer, so there is sits - they are hoping you want it so bad you'll pay the premium. Truth is most dealers end up sitting on inventory with strange features that customers ordered that perhaps others don't want. Tesla's model, even with their "price of the week" sales model is much much better.

Ford's dealer model is to blame for some of this. Once you configure your Lightning on Ford's website and get a "price" it goes to the dealer, and they can mark it up to whatever they want, and they do. You have no way of knowing what that number is until you it "submit" on your order, then you get a new quote from the dealer, and it can be 10-20% more than you budgeted for. When you "cancel" you have to do that at the dealer(i.e. refuse delivery) but the car is already "sold" to the dealer, so there is sits - they are hoping you want it so bad you'll pay the premium. Truth is most dealers end up sitting on inventory with strange features that customers ordered that perhaps others don't want. Tesla's model, even with their "price of the week" sales model is much much better.
You are imagining things like the mainstream news media imagines Tesla bursting into flames when it drives through 1 feet of water.

What you said has happened but extremely rarely. I’ve ordered Mach-Es and Broncos at dealers and have gotten exactly what I wanted at the price stated. You read too much FUD and basically regurgitate it like anti Tesla folks. Have some critical thinking please.

I like Tesla direct sales model but I also hate the limited options and lack of regular safety features. Ford is the opposite… you can slap almost any option onto the Bronco… they took the BMW and Porsche customization model to the extreme.

You are imagining things like the mainstream news media imagines Tesla bursting into flames when it drives through 1 feet of water.

What you said has happened but extremely rarely. I’ve ordered Mach-Es and Broncos at dealers and have gotten exactly what I wanted at the price stated. You read too much FUD and basically regurgitate it like anti Tesla folks. Have some critical thinking please.

I like Tesla direct sales model but I also hate the limited options and lack of regular safety features. Ford is the opposite… you can slap almost any option onto the Bronco… they took the BMW and Porsche customization model to the extreme.
yeah... i cant stand those "BUT DEALER MARKUPS" comments now that we are in 2023 and it takes you 3min to look up in your area for how much F150 Lightnings are being offered. hint: in my area (DFW metroplex) the largest dealer near me has them all listed at MSRP and you can look at the window sticker. with multiple sitting on the lot my guess is you could potentially even haggle *a tiny bit*... the days of supply chain crunch are gone. Dealer markups were no different for the consumer than having to wait 6+ months for a Model Y - or - buy a *used one* for more than a new one costs...

If lucid doesn’t make some moves ( cheaper variants) they’ll be gone
orders dropping like flies.
Small market for 6 figure EV cars and it’s ugly Looks like a Lincoln. The S annd Karma are better looking.

Last edited:
Doubt either had 500+ miles of range as the Air d Dream just proved
We are seeing Lucid advertise and think this will make a difference for the Uber rich comparison shopping and getting into Lucinda
(Btw, not me) but def a fan of the very innovative EVs

Reactions: scottf200
Doubt either had 500+ miles of range as the Air d Dream just proved
We are seeing Lucid advertise and think this will make a difference for the Uber rich comparison shopping and getting into Lucinda
(Btw, not me) but def a fan of the very innovative EVs
the EQS did 422 miles in Edmunds real world range test and beat the EPA number significantly. At some point extra range isn't the selling point you think it is... the "uber rich" ain't roadtripping 800+ miles a day. Aside from that ... over 400 miles of range is more than most of us would ever need.

more important *may be* that there's a local Mercedes-Benz Service center who picks up your vehicle in the morning and drops it off at your house when done...

Uhm no, actually, true first hand experience just a few weeks ago. Markup was ~8K over MSRP. Ended up cancelling the order after a half dozen phone calls. and finding a similarly equipped model at a different dealer that had stock - not what I ordered however, so that was the tradeoff.
For the Lightning, once the order is "placed" with the Ford online mothership, it is handed over to the dealer, where you are at their mercy. The second I had to start talking to the dealer is the moment I knew I was not going to end up with the vehicle I "ordered" at the price I had budgeted.
I'm glad you got your Mac-E with no hassle though.

yeah... i cant stand those "BUT DEALER MARKUPS" comments now that we are in 2023 and it takes you 3min to look up in your area for how much F150 Lightnings are being offered. hint: in my area (DFW metroplex) the largest dealer near me has them all listed at MSRP and you can look at the window sticker. with multiple sitting on the lot my guess is you could potentially even haggle *a tiny bit*... the days of supply chain crunch are gone. Dealer markups were no different for the consumer than having to wait 6+ months for a Model Y - or - buy a *used one* for more than a new one costs...
Texas - land of the F-150 and Rudy's BBQ! :) By me, they are few and far between, and sadly, the ER's are hard to come by with the right packages unless you custom order - and end up in the possible situation I described where you're at the dealer's mercy.

Reactions: zoomer0056