Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having never had a vehicle wrapped in my life is it too much to hope that the costs to do so might be better on something so laughably squared off as this? It's got to be easy to wrap, right....maybe tesla could do it from the factory when you order, at significant savings.

Tesla is in the business of mass producing cars.
Extending the manufacturing cycle time to add a wrap will lower throughput capacity, and that is the last thing they would want to do.
For any reason. Especially for a cosmetic one.

Also, I know with exceptionally expensive vehicles you can order with darn near any color you can see.

Doesn't need to be "exceptionally" expensive.
You can order any BMW or Audi with custom individual colors. Depending on the request, it might cost you anywhere between $3K-$12.5K extra, triple-layer Pure Metal Silver being the most expensive.

In consumer grade vehicles this isn't possible. If they built a full color customizer (perhaps hundreds of wrap shades) into the order process it would be a very interesting differentiator.

It's actually very possible, and not too expensive, if you have a fully automated vehicle production and painting line.
I remember touring BMW plant in Munich a decade ago, and the whole thing was a work of art, with a BT box with specs and options attached to each vehicle. Each step in the production line was dynamically adjusting to each vehicle, based on the options and packaged coded into the BT box. Including paint color. Though they did say that it takes an extra 60 seconds to clean paint guns before changing paint colors, so they preferred to group different car bodies of the same color in batches, before sending them through the paint booth.

I doubt Tesla's plants are THAT sophisticated, though.
Especially the tent production line in Freemont.

Very little chance Tesla sets up wrapping from the factory. It would be time consuming and expensive. Also, warps only last 5-7 years.

Very true.
Also, once wrapped, you can no longer take your car though a regular car wash. Else the wrap will get scratched and/or torn-off.
Touchless car washes are also a challenge - either the spray is too weak to properly wash the car, or it's too strong and will lift the wrap. You need to find places that have just the right pressure and soaps to work with a PPF wrap.

Long story short, PPF wrap is awesome, as long as money and upkeep are someone else's problem.

HTH,
a

Last edited:
I’ve had numerous cars wrapped in the past 7 years (P100D-Panamera turbo- Bentley Flying spur- Corvette C8) as long as you don’t take them through a car wash they hold up incredible and look great when done by a qualified installer. Never an issue washing at do it yourself bay.
. 3M / Avery have great vinyl.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Dip a CT, wow anything is possible
I did say I’d do it, just that it’s possible.
Also, once wrapped, you can no longer take your car though a regular car wash. Else the wrap will get scratched and/or torn-off.
Touchless car washes are also a challenge - either the spray is too weak to properly wash the car, or it's too strong and will lift the wrap. You need to find places that have just the right p
Autoflex doesn’t have this problem. I take my Autoflex cars through regular car washes all the time with no scratches or swirls.

It's the same as Starship, if it was 304 they would have specified, instead of using an x for the last digit. They call it 30x SS, another success for their material science guys along with the aluminum compound they injection mold for the front and rear of the new cars like the Y and CT

• Helpful
99k tri-motor wiht 600 mi range doesn't sound bad. I thought that the tri-motor was dropped for quad? I don't remember where I read that.

EDIT:

I obviously remembered incorrectly but this old article discusses quad and lack of a single.

99k tri-motor wiht 600 mi range doesn't sound bad. I thought that the tri-motor was dropped for quad? I don't remember where I read that.

EDIT:

I obviously remembered incorrectly but this old article discusses quad and lack of a single.
There's never been anything about a 600 mile motor. Any pricing proposals are just a guess.

There's also reports that there won't be a 500 mile version for a while, just at 350, but again...nothing from Tesla.

• Helpful
Here are the trims and pricing I am hearing:
Bottom 2x motor, 350 miles, $69K
Mid 2x motor, 500 miles, $79K
Top 3x motor, 600 miles, $99K
I think those prices could be in the ballpark for base, long range, and performance. However I don’t think there will be a 600 mile version. My guess is long range (your mid) will be a higher range than performance (your high).

I think those prices could be in the ballpark for base, long range, and performance. However I don’t think there will be a 600 mile version. My guess is long range (your mid) will be a higher range than performance (your high).
Your logic makes sense relative to what they did with the X.

CJ7OkuT.jpg

I think you are forgetting the original specs for CT: 250mi 6.5sec/300mi 4.5sec/500mi 2.0 sec. The original announced values showed the faster/performancey versions had higher range. The 600 mile thing is just fan hopes/wishes on improvements from the 500 mi tri motor to quad motor.

Reactions: TessP100D
Here are the trims and pricing I am hearing:
Bottom 2x motor, 350 miles, $69K
Mid 2x motor, 500 miles, $79K
Top 3x motor, 600 miles, $99K
Probably needs some context for my "disagree"

1) Elon Tweeted (Xed) that it would be a quad motor and not a tri-motor.

2) Maybe I'm missing some corners of the internet but this is the first time I've ever seen anything saying there would a 600 mile range option. I will eat a ghost pepper if I am wrong on this.

What is your source @kpanda17

By the way, I would happily pay $99k for 600 miles and 3X or 4X motors because that would be a BEAST of a vehicle and that kind of range would be worth that kind of money.

Probably needs some context for my "disagree"

1) Elon Tweeted (Xed) that it would be a quad motor and not a tri-motor.

2) Maybe I'm missing some corners of the internet but this is the first time I've ever seen anything saying there would a 600 mile range option. I will eat a ghost pepper if I am wrong on this.

What is your source @kpanda17

By the way, I would happily pay $99k for 600 miles and 3X or 4X motors because that would be a BEAST of a vehicle and that kind of range would be worth that kind of money.
Farzad
Felt it was very good analysis