Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people pay for Premium Connectivity?

Do you pay for Premium Connectivity?

• Yes

• No, not worth it

• No (because I get it for free)

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If £9.99 a month bothers you guys you cant afford a Tesla.

Paying £9.99 a month for what it really gets you is poor value to me. We currently have one SIM in the household that costs £7/month for unlimited data (4G), texts and calls, another that offers the same for "nothing" as it comes with my TV bundle and a third that offers unlimited 5G for £5.50/month.

I can tether any of those device to the car and get most of the Premium features, it simply isn't worth another £10/month to me for the missing features.

I cancelled my Netflix subs earlier this year because I realised I was only watching a couple of things every 2-3 months; the affordability argument is bunk, I can afford lots of things that I don't spend money on because I don't want or need them.

Wait a minute, please. How much is the monthly sub in UK? Here its $10 a month. That's a steal. Many new cars are paying $20, even $30 (don't know what this is in Euro's or pounds, sorry). At $10 we are getting away with murder for the price. I suspect Tesla is still footing half the connection bill if we are paying only $10. I mean, maybe Tesla got a bargain of a deal at $10 a month total in 2013 - 2017. But every price goes up. I doubt connectivity would still be $10 6-8 years later.

As you may realise from above, £10/month is not a steal here, the communications industry is structured differently which gives us a different value proposition and because we're a small country there's way less infrastructure to install to get the coverage (yes guys, I know it's a long way from perfect and your house in the middle of nowhere struggles to get even a basic connection).

If £9.99 a month bothers you guys you cant afford a Tesla.

So you're saying that we should be paying for it simply because we can afford to?

Probably a bit harsh on some but I kinda agree- it’s an expensive and premium car and is designed to be connected and tethering is a bit fiddly. Plus I hear the forthcoming live view streaming will need this.

The value proposition is subjective. To some it's a steal, to other's it's daylight robbery. In any case, I don't think people should shamed for wanting (or not) to pay for subscription.

That being said, if they add more features without increasing the price, then that of course changes things. I'm tempted to subscribe if we do get live sentry views.

You can get unlimited data, text, voice on a phone contract for around £18/month (less [£16] if you take up an additional SIM). I am sure Tesla could strike an even better deal than I am able to. The bump from a limited data plan to unlimited can be had for a fraction of the cost that Premium Connectivity is, plus it can be used for other uses too. So the £10/month is really for convenience, satellite and traffic views.
Okay, asked and answered. I guess you will proceed with your own plan then. No point in further discussion.

SpaceX working to go to Mars. Starlink bringing Internet to anyone that wants it at better than broadband speeds. Elon can do anything. You think Tesla could strike an even better deal. I think you are right, - when he's ready.

I think that when Starlink is deployed wide enough, Starlink will buy cell signal transceivers and hang them on cell towers. Then he will either buy up the rights to use the existing SIMs in different countries from the current carriers. Then pivot the cell service in the cars from at&t and Rogers and others to Starlink Data Services. Cars to cell towers, > cell towers to satellites, and back with intercepts to mothership as required. At some point after this new infrastructure is working, I suspect Tesla will install their own 5G SIMs at the factory and retrofit the fleet if we wish to pay for it. Likely replace the existing cell board with eSIM capability. We should be asking when Tesla will start connecting Teslas 2 Teslas to make sure two Teslas don't bump (wreck) each other. Another step in the self driving, me thinks.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
The convenience £18/month/unlimited gives with my phone is worth way more to me than spending on a car I use far less than the phone.

For sure I could ‘afford’ the Tesla fee & was originally going to do so but I thought about it & realised £9.99 just isn’t value for my circumstances (retired, mostly small journeys and even when I do travel, the Three network hasn’t let me down yet - been with them for nearly 8 years).

Hang on. So if you have Spotify via Premium Connectivity, you don’t need to pay for Spotify any other way?

But you do need an active Netflix account in order to watch it in Theatre mode?

I was one of the last to get the 12 months free trial, and I see the PC fee as a kind of convenience cost. The annoying thing is the data connection is generally pretty slow (even in areas with good coverage) compared to the 5G signal on my phone…part of me wants to experiment with tethering to see if it makes a difference. Seems mad that I could be paying £8 a month for a 5G sim but pay more for a 3G (?) connection in the car.

You don't need to pay for Spotify if you have premium connectivity (Not sure if you have access if tethered to a phone for everyone), you can use the Tesla account, if you have a non premium Spotify membership you can't use it in the Tesla but you only really miss out on playlists.