Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people pay for Premium Connectivity?

Do you pay for Premium Connectivity?

• Yes

• No, not worth it

• No (because I get it for free)

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious how many people pay for this and if they think its worth it if you have unlimited mobile data?

I have yet to connect my phone for mobile data but my trial runs out soon.

From my understanding the only lost feature is traffic information on maps?

I pay for it just for the ease of using Spotify. The satellite maps are nice, but I can live without that, and the traffic information also. Now that they have rolled out the update that stops WiFi being turned off when you put the car into drive, I might consider binning the subscription off and go back to tethering my phone.

I pay, primarily for the satellite map view as personally I'm not a fan of the base map display.

Hadn't realised you could tether to phone hotspot on the move now, if doing that would you get the satellite map view without paying for premium connectivity?

I pay for it because I'm pretty much desensitised to the whole SaaS death-by-a-thousand-cuts model of about a hundred seemingly-not-too-bad-in-isolation monthly deductions coming out of my account every month. :(

If someone asked if would I pay £120 a year for premium connectivity I'd probably say no, but somehow £9.99 a month doesn't seem so bad? I guess that's why they do it.

I pay for it because I'm pretty much desensitised to the whole SaaS death-by-a-thousand-cuts model of about a hundred seemingly-not-too-bad-in-isolation monthly deductions coming out of my account every month. :(

If someone asked if would I pay £120 a year for premium connectivity I'd probably say no, but somehow £9.99 a month doesn't seem so bad? I guess that's why they do it.

Its funny you say that, lol.

To answer the thread question, I also pay for it monthly, but every month I see the charge I hate it. Its not because I dont think premium connectivity has $9.99 worth of value, for me it does. Its because I hate (hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee) the SaaS model of "100 seemingly not bad in isolation monthly charges" (as you so aptly put it).

I personally would MUCH rather pay $120 a year, than $9.99 a month, and pay yearly for these things whenever I can. That makes me decide "do I want this thing for a year for $120?" I also really dislike monthly bills. I have my home mortgage and my cars as monthly payments, but other than that and utilities (gas, water, electricity) I dont have many other monthly bills unless its something like this where I want it and have no other choice.

Its easier for me to wrap my head around value to me (or not) at the yearly price, and I dont get "annoyed" seeing it hit my credit card monthly. In the case of premium connectivity, I like it enough to tolerate paying for it monthly. I have read stories of people contacting tesla to get it billed yearly, but "Tesla being Tesla" and that being "not a regular option" I dont trust them to actually do that correctly.

Probably sounds like I am hating on Tesla with that statement and I am not, I have A model 3, Tesla solar on my roof, and Tesla powerwalls in my garage. I am just a realist when it comes to certain things and one thing Tesla as a company does NOT do well in any way, shape or form is "lets do this thing thats outside the norm of what we offer standard".

Since they dont offer a yearly price for premium connectivity "standard, in the app or website" and you would have to call someone to set it up, to me, that would have a 50/50 chance of either not working, or not ever being able to be canceled should one change their mind "later"... so I suck it up and pay monthly.

/e climbs down off soapbox now...

Lol

My first year with the free premium connectivity expired 3 weeks ago and I've just started paying for it.
I thought it was available as monthly or with a discount for annual - in the USA - or is everyone paying monthly-only now?
I do like the map view and use it all the time even though my local Aldi store (been open for couple of years) is shown as a field on the map!
I'll give it another year to see if I want to keep it though probably will.

My first year with the free premium connectivity expired 3 weeks ago and I've just started paying for it.
I thought it was available as monthly or with a discount for annual - in the USA - or is everyone paying monthly-only now?
I do like the map view and use it all the time even though my local Aldi store (been open for couple of years) is shown as a field on the map!
I'll give it another year to see if I want to keep it though probably will.

In the US, there is only a monthly charge available unless you find and call someone who can supposedly setup a yearly billing on the back end. I already gave my opinion on doing that above, though. This being the UK and Ireland subforum, I dont know how it is over there.

I have it free for a year but I won't be renewing.

The only thing I'd lose is the traffic visualisation. If I was going on a trip I'd just use Waze on my phone for that.

Plus I have unlimited data and a 5G capable phone so I have no worries on that side.

I have my own Spotify Premium account so will just be tethering permanently.

Not me but then I don't lease either because I find it easier to write a cheque for £50k than I do pay a monthly cheque for £500 (or whatever the figures are). Not everyone is in my position, its partly because my income now is irregular (I could claim to being a famous author with royalties coming in sparodically but the truth isn't so exciting)

I also don't because the sat image view I find harder to follow and the traffic view doesn't really bother me. I also have a USB stick full of HD lossless music which sounds better than the lossy spotfiy, and when I'm not listening to that I've got radio 5 live on.

I think with some car leases they just leave it on, a gentlemans agreement with the lease companies as it would be harder to administer than it is to just do that.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin