Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Powerwalls do I need for a 3hp well pump

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As @power.saver pointed out it's the LRA plus all of your other concurrent loads that have to be considered.

The other factor is at what depth (ie how much real load) is being pulled to start that 3hp pump. When I had one active on a 1000 foot well it was a totally different story when the water table was high vs what it had to pull at 1000 feet.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
sorry, i was talking locked rotor, not running power. but my well pump pulls 3.8KW (real power/not reactive) when running.

I have a 10.5 kwh system with two Powerwall 2's and it has no problem with my 3hp well pump during power outages.
how deep is your well? do you have a soft start kit on it?
i believe mine is 300 feet, water is about 120 feet.

Last edited:
i believe mine is 300 feet, water is about 120 feet.
If your water is at 120 feet that is the "practical" depth of your pump as long as the well refills at or greater than your pump.

Each powerwall can sustain 5kW of power so if you really only draw 3.8 kW that is trivial. But again it's your starting draw that is probably going to be a factor.

But if you have 6 PWs that's enormous. You would think 2 PWs would be fine in this scenario.

If one powerwall can power my 2hp blender (plus entire house minus AC)
Your blender is not 2hp, unless you have it on a special 120V/30A or 240V/15A circuit. Sounds like hp-inflation has come to blender marketing, just like it did to shop-vac marketing. If your blender has a regular 15-5 plug (the standard one), it's at most 3/4 hp, and probably less.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: VT_EE and Shygar
I think (3) Powerwalls should definitely do it, maybe (2) would work. My info:

It's going to depend partially on the startup load profile of what the motor is driving. If the load is low-inertia and comes up to speed quickly, then the starting surge will be over more quickly. If not, the starting surge may run long enough for the Powerwalls to exhaust their "surge" capacity, and you'd need to size them for starting based on their steady-state capacity I don't know enough about pumps to know what category a well pump falls into.

I have (2) Powerwalls and at commissioning we tried starting a 5 HP dust collector motor that is on a 40 amp breaker. It started to spin up but then the Powerwalls cut out, probably it was about 7 seconds and the Powerwalls decided the surge had lasted too long. After resetting, we tried starting my 3 HP tablesaw motor, no problem. And the tablesaw definitely comes up to speed a lot more quickly than the dust collector.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Wayne

Your blender is not 2hp, unless you have it on a special 120V/30A or 240V/15A circuit. Sounds like hp-inflation has come to blender marketing, just like it did to shop-vac marketing. If your blender has a regular 15-5 plug (the standard one), it's at most 3/4 hp, and probably less.

Cheers, Wayne
7500 - Classic Blenders

I'm not sure why they would say that if physically it's impossible to be over 3/4 on a regular 15-5 plug.

7500 - Classic Blenders

I'm not sure why they would say that if physically it's impossible to be over 3/4 on a regular 15-5 plug.
It's marketing.

Look at the specifications page, it lists 2.2 HP "peak". That "peak" modifier means "we took the single point in time during either the motor's startup, or if you overload the motor until it stalls (I forget which) at which the current draw peaked, calculated the instantaneous power consumption in HP, and got 2.2 HP."

But motors are typically specified by their continuous mechanical power output without overheating. For that motor I would guess it to be in the 1/4 HP to 1/2 HP range, but I'm no expert.

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
at 2.2 hp it would boil water faster then your microwave. lol

Tesla engineer thinks 6-7 powerwalls will do me fine... need 4.1 powerwalls at surge capacity to start.

they are discounting (-9500) for up to four powerwalls with solar now. the rest would be full 6500 price.

My 7kW generator (7.5kW surge) runs my 1.5 HP well pump fine. I used it for several years before I had power to my property.
I'm getting 2 Powerwalls and sent Tesla all the information on the well pump. They didn't have a problem with it.
It seems like 4 Powerwalls should be more than enough.