Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Tesla's in New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure I see how Tesla discounting the M3 for fleet buyers is a benefit to private Tesla owners in NZ, so I'm pretty happy fleet managers don't want them, personally.

Also consider that
- Tesla insurance is ludicrously high in NZ compared to other cars of similar value and performance, which fleet managers need to consider. Would their insurer even cover Teslas? This I would like to see changed - when I read on here that we pay twice (in real terms) what someone in the UK pays for a P100D MS, something is far wrong.
- Perception is important. If the average, uninformed, man in the street sees the Model 3 as an expensive luxury car then a lot of companies will see it as a negative image to have their branding on the side of one. If paying more for an inferior Korean brand avoids that, it is actually cheaper overall for them

Lastly i3 pricing has been more than a joke for years. We had an i3 for two years before I got my wife across the line with a Tesla, and it was great as our "German commuting appliance", but we bought literally the cheapest one I'd ever seen for sale at the time, and really primarily because it was next cheapest option after a Leaf (which was never going to happen for me) to let us try the EV thing for size.

It felt super dated even when we bought it with that awful massive bezel around the display in front of the driver, and had so little range that we couldn't possibly have had it as an only car - not that the M3 is intended to be an only car either, but it could be if necessary. OK the current i3 has twice as big a battery as ours did, but really the model should have been put out of its misery at least three years ago. Cool as a carbon fibre chassis and blah blah is something launched in 2014 with unexceptional EV specs for the period and never significantly updated since is a dinosaur in EV evolution terms.

I recently checked round a number of similar vehicles (mazda 6, toyota camry, bmw 320 etc) and the model 3 SR+ wasnt out of line at all (this was with AMP).
I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than drive any of the examples you use, so I can't speak from experience of those, but what I can say is than none of them are comparable in performance, though logically that should make them cheaper to insure.

What I do know is that I could have insured our SR+ with State for quite a bit less than we chose to pay with Vero, but with the glass being explicitly excluded I considered that to be an unknown 4-figure excess. As it's been close to 30 years since I've claimed anything other than a windscreen on car insurance, but there have been a fair number of those, State wasn't offering to cover the car adequately IMO, so not comparable. I didn't check AMP before going with Vero - do they cover the glass?

I also know I until a few weeks ago I paid less than the SR+ cover for a vehicle worth well into six figures that has 410KW of power, and with no usage restrictions. Perhaps the SR+ is lumped in with turgid, characterless and underpowered small sedans, and they are over-represented in NZ insurance claims, so a P100D MS would be quire reasonable to insure in NZ as well as the UK. Anyone here know for sure?

So? Is it a problem some companies charge more?

As for more performance not sure that is such a big deal with these when its a combination of safety/accident rate and cost to fix they are more interested in.
The insurance cost subject came up because I speculated fleet managers may see the insurance as a reason not to go with Tesla, so if some companies charge more that would definitely be a problem for any fleet manager who uses one of those companies.

In terms of how insurance companies set their prices, logically it would be based on statistics that show how likely the vehicle is to be crashed or stolen, and the cost of repair or replacement when it is damaged.

There can only be very limited data available in NZ on Tesla theft - I'm guessing close to, if not actually, zero cars have been stolen, but hard to prove a negative so that won't be taken to mean they are theft proof, and theft from Teslas will still happen; likely much reduced by sentry mode, but not likely taken into account by insurers.

Tesla accident data will also be thin in NZ. In the absence of that data I don't know what insurance companies do, but they have to do something to determine a risk position. My thinking is that they will look at a number of factors that contribute to the likelihood of the vehicle crashing, and in that the higher the performance the more likely they may consider a crash. They will also consider repair costs and very likely data from overseas if they have access to it.

That there is a difference between insurers quotes shows how inexact the job of the actuary is when there is limited statistical data available.

Yes. But AMP is one of the few/only that will do it reasonably. Our pre-tesla insurer of choice (AA) is way more.

I didn't check AMP, but I did check State, and they were ~$800 less than Vero / InsureMyTesla, but they excluded all glass entirely. Does AMP insure the glass, and if so is there an excess?

Looks like 191 model 3 for NZ in August, so 1101 for the year.

Outsold even used leaf as supplies of used cars hit a dry patch.

And obviously August needs an '*' next to it.

Deliveries are backing up..
Wow that sounds impressive outselling used leafs...leaves ...bushes, trees, ugly stick or whatever the plural for leaf is
Guess the govt subsidy is helping sales along, now we just need some solar and battery gov love
I wonder what % of punters are taking the sub or going for LR/PM

I now take it apon myself to warn potential owners do not not go on a test ride unless they have a spare 60G
floating around or are prepared to
Sell their 1st born
Prepared immediately order a car and think of nothing else
until Tesla deems them worthy of receiving a delivery
Never want to go near an ICE car again
Or all of the above

Last edited:
Top Ten Passenger (Cars and SUVs) Vehicles Sold by Model in August 2021 (all fuel types)
TOYOTA COROLLA 447
TOYOTA RAV4 302
MITSUBISHI ASX 245
TESLA MODEL 3 189
MAZDA CX-5 179
SUZUKI SWIFT 168
MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER 154
MG ZS 140
HAVAL H6 117
HYUNDAI KONA 110

Note Utes are classed as a commercial vehicle and are not included
I think Rob's 191 number includes used imports

Good to see so many new cars being registered.

This has got me thinking, do you think we have enough supercharger slots?

i’ve only ever used Mangaweka and Taupo on our trips between WLG and AKL and both had 3/4 stalls in use when I got there last time (July school holidas). More cars could mean more demand, so queues could be likely in the future, particularly at peak times.

i hope they start putting other SC’s along SH1 or other key routes to stay ahead of demand?

Good to see so many new cars being registered.

This has got me thinking, do you think we have enough supercharger slots?

i’ve only ever used Mangaweka and Taupo on our trips between WLG and AKL and both had 3/4 stalls in use when I got there last time (July school holidas). More cars could mean more demand, so queues could be likely in the future, particularly at peak times.

i hope they start putting other SC’s along SH1 or other key routes to stay ahead of demand?
That may become a problem, more so if Tesla open up superchargers to all
Hopefully Tesla will add more capacity if required in the future

I have come across the odd EV using clearly marked Tesla only Tesla destination charges
which can be a bit annoying when you need to charge

I heard from a friend that HK has heaps of SC’s for such a small area. But i guess its because a lot of owners there wouldn’t have home charging as a primary option.

I hope we get more as it sounds like our market has definitely picked up steam. Good on chargenet carrying the load but if other makers sell heaps (Leaf, MG) then those would be quite heavily used too.