Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much below asking CPO pricing does Tesla pay for a used Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tes La Ferrari

Jun 1, 2018
Canada
In a situation where you are not buying a car from them - if one was to sell their model s/x to Tesla - does anyone know roughly how much the difference is between the CPO asking prices, and what they pay their customers ? (Either percentages or dollars)

And has anyone asked for a quote to sell their s/x to Tesla lately ( since the most recent price drops ?
Wondering how the price drops have hit what Tesla is offering their customers for their Teslas lately

I didn't think that they would buy used cars, just accept on trade-in. But even on new cars, CarMax often seem to give the best deal.

And, selling privately is by far the best way to get the highest price.

I was under the impression that they would buy only Teslas but not other brands, as other brands that are traded in are just wholesaled out anyway.

I thought I read on the forum that people who have gone to Tesla with their vehicles will be given a buyback price quote. It may not be what they expect, but that's a different story

Tesla pricing is fluid. They sometimes price a car at market, but will later reduce the price if it does not quickly sell, then reduce it again to clear it out.

Since the marketplace is constantly changing their offering prices will also change. If they have a big stock of a certain model, they will most likely offer less for that as a trade in..

Many people scour their offerings constantly, looking for a car that is miss-priced, and that they can pick up for a bargain.

Tesla pricing is fluid. They sometimes price a car at market, but will later reduce the price if it does not quickly sell, then reduce it again to clear it out.

Since the marketplace is constantly changing their offering prices will also change. If they have a big stock of a certain model, they will most likely offer less for that as a trade in..

Many people scour their offerings constantly, looking for a car that is miss-priced, and that they can pick up for a bargain.

Appreciate the info.

Does anyone know the delta / margin in $ or % that Tesla aims for or gets when they are buying a car in and reselling it ?

ie. Let's say they are going to be selling a used Model X/S for $85K(based on mileage condition options/ model etc), what would they buy it in at ? Would they pay someone $70K for it ? or is that too high or low

Appreciate the info.

Does anyone know the delta / margin in $ or % that Tesla aims for or gets when they are buying a car in and reselling it ?

ie. Let's say they are going to be selling a used Model X/S for $85K(based on mileage condition options/ model etc), what would they buy it in at ? Would they pay someone $70K for it ? or is that too high or low

My guess is that it's lower than $70K. They are in the interest of selling new cars, not used ones. In fact, I think they only sell used ones as they can resell "better conditioned" lease returns and trade-ins (which inherently meant they scored another new sale/delivery). I remember seeing posts a few years ago about how shocked some owners were when they tried to resell their cars to Tesla. IIRC, some were being offered ~$35K when similar CPO (at the time) were selling for $45K-$55K.

I do recall there were periods when their CPO inventory was low and the relative prices were high. Suddenly there would be a surge of inventory with large price drops.

About 8 months before I bought my new Model S in December 2017, I looked into buying a used one to hold until I was ready to buy a new one (I was anticipating some significant changes that mattered to me). I was curious how much it would cost me to buy a used one a trade it in for the new one later. Regarding the used one I was interested in (priced about $62k), I directly asked the following question: "How much would this same car be worth in trade-in right now? The answer was approximately $15k less--quite a bit bigger hit than I anticipated. I opted to wait it out. Tesla seemed to want to make the same 20-25% margins on used sales as they made on new sales. After all, why would they be in the used car business if they didn't?

It is common industry practice for bid-ask spread at luxury dealerships to be $10k or more when the sales price is above $40k. The higher the price, the bigger the spread.

This is just due to the fact that is's hard to sell expensive pre-owned cars privately; the market is simply not liquid.

In AZ CPO prices are better than private dealers.
Same in NJ... BY A LOT! It would have been a big financial mistake to buy from private or other dealer compared to what Tesla is selling at, even after paying shipping. Just have to wait for right deal to come up, and they come up pretty often. I probably saved myself about 4k by going through Tesla. If I didnt have to pay for shipping, add another 2k to that.