Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much benefit in going to 18"/19" tires on a performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ZoomsansVroom

Supporting Member
May 3, 2019
Mainly, I'm interested in quietness, and ride comfort - but my M3 didn't do so well on 20" tires, around here... 18 years ago... (Had a "Getting Old" moment...)

I'd like to switch to 18" rims, I think - I believe they are the lightest option, but I'm a bit concerned that if I have a tire issue, instead of being able to get a loaner, I would have to wait for a tire replacement. (I will be driving the car between SC and TX at least twice a year, and between SC and FL 3-4 times per year.)

The performance model I test drove rode fine, but I am a bit concerned about pot holes - Houston has some substantial ones.

Will factory 19" rims fit a performance?
Will I be able to get a loaner 19" rim on a performance, if needed?

I may just get 18" ones, and not worry about it. I don't tend to drive cross-country, in a hurry, anymore.

Mainly, I'm interested in quietness, and ride comfort - but my M3 didn't do so well on 20" tires, around here... 18 years ago... (Had a "Getting Old" moment...)

I'd like to switch to 18" rims, I think - I believe they are the lightest option, but I'm a bit concerned that if I have a tire issue, instead of being able to get a loaner, I would have to wait for a tire replacement. (I will be driving the car between SC and TX at least twice a year, and between SC and FL 3-4 times per year.)

The performance model I test drove rode fine, but I am a bit concerned about pot holes - Houston has some substantial ones.

Will factory 19" rims fit a performance?
Will I be able to get a loaner 19" rim on a performance, if needed?

I may just get 18" ones, and not worry about it. I don't tend to drive cross-country, in a hurry, anymore.

Not sure if the other wheels (18/19) will fit the performance model, due the the machined lip on the perf. hubs and the big brakes. The 19" might if you install a spacer to clear the lip in the hub. My guess is the 18" is not possible

Not sure if the other wheels (18/19) will fit the performance model, due the the machined lip on the perf. hubs and the big brakes. The 19" might if you install a spacer to clear the lip in the hub. My guess is the 18" is not possible
The stock Aeros don't but there are a number of 18" rim options that do fit. With time to get to know the vehicle plenty of suppliers/shops know how to handle this. Either they're now producing rims with the required notch for the hub or have other hardware such as spacers to deal with it.

ZoomsansVroom try searching through the threads here, lots of 18" rim discussion.

If you're based in the US you can use tirerack.com, they'll list the rims they have that they've confirmed fit the P. I expect other places have lists, too. Tirerack starts options at $220/corner for 18x8.5, even cheaper if you're going 18x8 which some people choose for winter tires.

Was going to say. Your best bet is to look at aftermarket options. I had the 18 inch aeros for about 1500 miles and they definitely were a little softer on the road. Since I moved to the 19's, I can feel the road better, and in a good way. The 18's were a little too soft for my taste. Bumps, etc. feel the same, IMO. The weird thing is, the range improved for me with the 19's. I was doing about 250kwm and with the 19's I am averaging about 234. YMMV

Was going to say. Your best bet is to look at aftermarket options. I had the 18 inch aeros for about 1500 miles and they definitely were a little softer on the road. Since I moved to the 19's, I can feel the road better, and in a good way. The 18's were a little too soft for my taste. Bumps, etc. feel the same, IMO. The weird thing is, the range improved for me with the 19's. I was doing about 250kwm and with the 19's I am averaging about 234. YMMV
With same tire width and brand/model?