Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how normal is it for center screen to crash and lose functionality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My two-week-old 2021 Model 3 has already had its screen crash twice when it was parked. One time I lost access to the Dashcam viewer before it crashed. Another time it didn't crash but I lost the ability to turn on the heater remotely.

Does this sound normal for new Teslas or is there something the service department can do about this?

A crash is not unheard of. I have probably had 3 or 4 in 1.5 years. 2 times may just be a once in a lifetime coincidence and you had it. I would wait and see and if you had a 3ed soon and then that is likely a problem.

I'd say it's fairly common. I've had it happen 3 times in the year I've owned my car. First one the screen went completely black (while I was driving). I pulled over and it rebooted on it's own. The 2nd time I was backing out of my garage and noticed the backup camera screen was black, continued on and noticed the navigation wasn't working either (map not updating my current location). Manual reboot didn't clear the faults, but later after parking for about 1hr it worked again. The 3rd time it was raining and my wipers would not turn on. Not in auto or manual. I stopped the car and rebooted, then it worked fine. The issues seem to be software/firmware bugs and not hardware. I've come to accept it's just part of owning a Tesla.

My car has HW3 and I understand critical functions run through a redundant electronics architecture. The infotainment screen however is another story...

It's a computer and computers can crash; particularly if the OS gets updated as often as the Tesla's OS does.

Interestingly, if you lose dash functionality; you can use the Tesla app or a 3rd-party app to turn on the heat.

I'd say it's fairly common. I've had it happen 3 times in the year I've owned my car. First one the screen went completely black (while I was driving). I pulled over and it rebooted on it's own. The 2nd time I was backing out of my garage and noticed the backup camera screen was black, continued on and noticed the navigation wasn't working either (map not updating my current location). Manual reboot didn't clear the faults, but later after parking for about 1hr it worked again. The 3rd time it was raining and my wipers would not turn on. Not in auto or manual. I stopped the car and rebooted, then it worked fine. The issues seem to be software/firmware bugs and not hardware. I've come to accept it's just part of owning a Tesla.

My car has HW3 and I understand critical functions run through a redundant electronics architecture. The infotainment screen however is another story...

You don't have to stop the car to reboot the MCU computer, that's the one would "crash". Usually it just reboots itself when it crashes, if it's frozen or not functioning correctly you can just hold the two wheels down till it reboots. You can do this while driving, that computer is a different computer and doesn't crash (knock on wood).

My two-week-old 2021 Model 3 has already had its screen crash twice when it was parked. One time I lost access to the Dashcam viewer before it crashed. Another time it didn't crash but I lost the ability to turn on the heater remotely.

Does this sound normal for new Teslas or is there something the service department can do about this?
Two week old Tesla, You might still be on the factory firmware, what firmware version are you on? This usually happens with newer cars, it happened a lot with my model 3 when it was new but as the newest firmwares came out it corrected these issues. So make sure you have your WiFi turned on and connected so that you can get the latest updates.

Fred

I must have gotten my car no long after yours. December 29th delivery (2021 M3P) and in that first week my screen was black twice too. Both times it was while getting in the car, after unplugging it at home, to start driving. I pressed the brake and the screen was black, the car was drivable though. I drove to the end of the driveway and just waited a minute and the screen came back on. I work in IT on the desktop support side so seeing a OS crash, even on something new, is like a cook seeing a burnt piece of toast. Not at all alarmed UNLESS it’s chronic, which the crash hasn’t happened since that first week.

To reset the screen you press on both steering wheel 'wheels' at the same time for a couple of seconds, correct? It hasn't happened to our car yet, but now I know it's possible. And want to know how to fix it, if it doesn't fix itself :). Thx.

I sometimes get one single crash soon after a firmware update. A manual reboot would prevent that. I have been able to crash the system repeatedly in some cases playing with the internet browser and youtube. Some areas are fragile. In normal driving, crashes are exceptional.

I must have gotten my car no long after yours. December 29th delivery (2021 M3P) and in that first week my screen was black twice too. Both times it was while getting in the car, after unplugging it at home, to start driving. I pressed the brake and the screen was black, the car was drivable though. I drove to the end of the driveway and just waited a minute and the screen came back on. I work in IT on the desktop support side so seeing a OS crash, even on something new, is like a cook seeing a burnt piece of toast. Not at all alarmed UNLESS it’s chronic, which the crash hasn’t happened since that first week.

I have exact sample problem twice, since I got my car (M3 SR+ 2021) on 12/20/2020.

On a similar topic, something I experience from time-to-time: screen FREEZE.

Sometimes, when I access a pop-up window (settings, etc.) and I think almost always when my 9,000+ songs USB music library is on the main screen, the screen will freeze. I ALWAYS think I didn't tap correctly, so I tap again which makes the following happen:
  • The screen freezes - the display is unchanged, it just does not respond to any input for about 5 seconds total
  • After a second or two (at the beginning of the five seconds), the fan comes on full blast
  • When the screen unlocks after the 5 seconds, it registers my second touch and changes to that song
Certainly nothing more than an annoyance and it doesn't happen that often (maybe once a month).

Anyone else?

• Informative
Reactions: TM3blu