Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often should I check the air in my tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how often should I add air in my tires? I’ve had my car since end of February and today a message came up that my tires were low. I just wonder how to maintain the air in tires. My previous car notified me when I needed to add air. Thanks! often should add air to their tires on the model 3?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Stirthepot
Solution
how often should I add air in my tires? I’ve had my car since end of February and today a message came up that my tires were low. I just wonder how to maintain the air in tires. My previous car notified me when I needed to add air. Thanks! often should add air to their tires on the model 3?
I check my tire pressure monthly. I bought a portable air pump, mostly for emergencies, to fill up my tires at home. It cost about 25.00. So much easier than going to the gas station. That and wheel alignments help make your tires last longer. I bought a lifetime wheel alignment at Firestone for 200.00. I did this with my last car and had 8 wheel alignments for 160.00 total. I had the car for 13 years.
Push the buttons to check the pressure as often as you want, until you get used to it. But you do have to drive a few miles before it will register. Or it will notify you when the pressure is low. How many PSI is a different question. I run a bit higher, 42-45 psi, more efficient but a bit bumpier. 38-42+ is the recommended PSI, as I recall.

Upvote 0
Sorry how often should I add air in my tires? I’ve had my car since end of February and finally a message came up that my tires were low. I just wonder how to maintain the air in tires. My previous car notified me when I needed to add air. Thanks!

So does this one. It shows up as an alert on the screen, and if you let it get to the red level it will alert you. These type of things are very area dependent, but since you are looking for a suggestion, and are in my general area (SoCal), I will tell you that I check my tire pressure via a physical gauge at least twice a year, and definitely right about now (Nov) because when it gets colder, you generally have to put air in your tires.

EV range is a bit more susceptible to tire pressure, so I spot check it in the on screen menus about once every 4-6 weeks, and I have a small air compressor thing I use to put air in the tire when it drops some.

I never wait till the car tells me, since by that time, you have likely getting less range due to lack of air pressure.

Thats what I do, but you definitely could do whatever you did before, because this car will tell you just like your last one. Losing range in this one tends to bother people more than other cars though so /shrug...

Upvote 0
Aren't rising pressures in the spring just as important? I'm not arguing, I'm curious.
Tires do slowly lose air over time. Rising temperatures in the spring are somewhat counteracted by air loss, so overinflation in spring happens to a lesser degree than underinflation in autumn. Also, underinflation is usually a greater safety hazard than overinflation, unless over the maximum for the tire (which is 50psi for the Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45/18 T1).

Reactions: Zoomit and BitJam
Upvote 0
You all know that you can just check air pressures in the app, right? Go to controls and up in the top right corner is an icon with a half tire (looks like a donut to me for some reason) and the letters - psi. Get in a habit of checking it regularly- easy enough and can save frustration if a flat, etc.

Yeah, I know you can do this now, but Its still "new" to me. Checking there is not a part of my routine yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
Reactions: gaswalla
Upvote 0
You do realize that you can check it on your Tesla App right while in bed every night.

Press on Controls on your Tesla App and on the upper right corner you will see PSI, tap on that. Make sure to update your app located in the App Store.

C7065AED-1735-4D99-8532-FBD8BFF125C3.png

• Informative
Reactions: danarcha
Upvote 0
Since these cars have no spare, I check the pressure before almost any drive; so easy to do. Reminds me of pre flighting a plane. If one tire is more than a couple of PSI down from the others, I assume I have a leak and get it checked out. I have used this method on my 30 year old, 240k mile Ford, although manually and not near as often as the Tesla, and have never had a flat on the road. I always caught problems before a total flat. The jack for that car and the temporary spare tire have never been used.

Upvote 0
Since these cars have no spare, I check the pressure before almost any drive; so easy to do. Reminds me of pre flighting a plane. If one tire is more than a couple of PSI down from the others, I assume I have a leak and get it checked out. I have used this method on my 30 year old, 240k mile Ford, although manually and not near as often as the Tesla, and have never had a flat on the road. I always caught problems before a total flat. The jack for that car and the temporary spare tire have never been used.
You are checking them with a tire guage BEFORE every drive?? The tire pressure sensors don't give a reading until you have driven about a mile, so to check the pressure before driving you would need to use an air pressure gauge on each tire. Do you really do this before every drive?

Upvote 0
You all know that you can just check air pressures in the app, right? Go to controls and up in the top right corner is an icon with a half tire (looks like a donut to me for some reason) and the letters - psi. Get in a habit of checking it regularly- easy enough and can save frustration if a flat, etc.
Unless you have FDS-beta and then you cannot, at least not yet........We with FSD-b are still on 2022.20.19, and by report you need 2022.24 or later for the app to show tire pressure. So there's that.......

Last edited:
Reactions: tivoboy and Bobo818
Upvote 0
You are checking them with a tire guage BEFORE every drive?? The tire pressure sensors don't give a reading until you have driven about a mile, so to check the pressure before driving you would need to use an air pressure gauge on each tire. Do you really do this before every drive?

Not before; let me rephrase. I have a 22 M3 LR The numbers come up as soon as I back out of my driveway and travel a short distance on my street; maybe 100 feet. Yes I do it on every drive but sometimes forget so I check in the middle of a trip. The pressures will be 1 or 2 lbs higher by then but that's no issue; what I'm looking for is that all of the tires are basically the same pressure. A one pound difference, one way or the other on one tire is OK but anything past 2 psi gets my attention. That hasn't happened with my M3 yet. Has happened many times with my old Ford; watching one suspicious tire on that car right now.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Upvote 0